Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through August 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boys: I forgot to tell you about the ‘special’ guys in the Keys. One group of old ‘50s Fordham expats who were too kinky even for Fordham. Everyone was there except GB, their former leader. Another group of Haight Ashbury rejects. The regulars down there won’t have anything to do with any of them because they are considered too strange.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys: I can't think of anyone from Fordham who headed to the Keys...most of them thought Ohio was "down South"...it was a very manly street...Mapleridge was a totally different question...to say nothing of Eastwood!

(Message edited by GoBlue on August 05, 2008)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Where in the house is the Award hanging - maybe in the EASTWOOD ROOM?????

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fordham gang tried settling "down South" in Ohio first but was run out of the state to the cries of “Not with our sons you don’t.”

Goblue

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hung it in Tango's stall but he grabbed it and tossed in out into the manure pile...he's one smart horse.

OD: Soooo....tell us more about your trip to Key West.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I thought I told you. As soon as I discovered Jimmy Buffett wasn't home I headed out of town. It was only by chance that I heard about the Fordam expats down there. They tend to keep a low profile so the the locals don't beat them up because of their unusual alternative lifestyle.

Goblue

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Well...that makes sense...the guys from Fordham were a very, very manly group...hoooahhh!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: If the Fordham preference was towards manly (or even female) partners there wouldn't have been any problem with the locals.

Goblue

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Well...like I said earlier...I really doubt that any of the Fordham crowd were able to find their way down to Key West...I really thing that the second tackiest city in the country...Orlando (second only to Las Vegas)...was the limit of their Southern excursions.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snow Birds was the term used for those on Eastwood who went south ... I am so glad that I came west .....

Goblue

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right...we spent a month in FL on Ft. Myers Beach when ST retired...that was enough of that...glad we came west...bad enough that the Valley is jammed with snowbirds in the winter...at least they don't come up here...cities of RV's grow in the winter in the desert around Yuma...talk about tacky!

Eastside61

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Hope you are still spinning that 45 rpm .... and went to an RV tacky party .... Hi - C, Keystone, and white saltines (no salt) and Velvetta ... Rock On!

Goblue

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Actually...put the 45 rpm on EBay...the bid is up to $284.00 with three days to go...my heartfelt thanks go out.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I never said the Fordhams FOUND their way to Key West. But with every state they got evicted from they ended up a little further south until it was either the Keys or Cuba. Castro wouldn't have them so they settled into a more 'open' society.

Goblue

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: No es verdad...Cuba libre! Viva Cuba!

Eastside61

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boys: Didn't Fidel C go to Columbus before heading south in 1959? ..... I was positive that he lived over on Cedargrove and Brock ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK guys, I confess. I didn't go to Key West, and the Fordham guys never found their way there either. The typical Fordhamite had enough trouble finding 7 Mile, let alone Key West. GB went off looking for Eastwood once and hasn't found his way home yet.

Goblue

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close but no cigar! I was visiting on Mapleridge...there were so many foxes on the street that the call went out for volunteers since the locals were clearly out of their league...I wasn't lost trying to make it back to God's world...just exhausted.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never met a fox that would EVER get into a valiant ..... especially driven by some lame "ned" who lived on Fordham ... Even Dennis E would not allow you park the Valiant in front of his house ....or even on Salter .... maybe on Parkgrove over by the Carey Sisters home.

Goblue

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You keep forgetting...clearly a sign of the aging process...that the sad Valiant was a product of the marriage to SE59...the car was sad...the marriage was sad...she was sad...not exactly the shinning days of my life.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It’s true. GB was exhausted by the Mapleridge girls. They all became track stars whenever he visited the street. As soon as they heard Renee M. screaming “Get back to Fordham where you belong” the adrenaline kicked in and they all took off. GB chased them all night but never came close to catching one. He finally exhausted himself and collapsed at the curb where he remained until the street cleaners came the next morning.

Goblue

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...awright...I'm man enough to admit it...never did get anywhere with the Mapleridge foxes...I still think Renee is a figment of ES's wild imagination.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I think ES got too involved with his patients’ fantasies and invented Renee so he could participate on equal terms.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee Update: Thanks to brother BE the Renee mystery has taken a new turn ... BE remembers her and her brother Harry ... He confirms that she was a total FOX and he remembers her living on Seymour and not Maplerdge .... You have to remember that I was under water for more than 7 minutes at the foot of lakewood as a result of being at a slumber party on Bishop and CPD in 1960.... so the memory therapy sometimes needs to be boosted ....

Goblue

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...I trust BE's memory...he is a fine upstanding representative of the E clan...one who conducted himself as a true gentleman throughout his Denby years...never did understand why he chose MSU.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Thanks for clearing up the Renee mystery, but that raises another question. If you passed by her house on Seymour on the way from your home to Columbus were you stalking her, or do you just get lost a lot?

Goblue

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I'll bet he was cutting down the alley at night just to get a peak in her window.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stalking seems to be the correct answer .... remember it was OD who did the window thing in MI and CA and recently in Houston.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: ES had a routine he followed every night. First it was down his alley to leer at the Ritz girls until they pulled the shades down, then on to Renee’s alley to peek in her windows, and finally finish the night with a big cone from the Taste Freeze at Spring Garden and Hayes. His parents never understood why it took him three hours to take out the garbage.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: all of that and then there was Monday night Tom Jefferson Library - Wed night Lombardi's or Pippo's - Friday Saturday night activities and then resting on Sunday and back again to get ready for Monday ... and then throw in Renee stalking ..... Life was really academic ....