Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through August 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 942
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BR and DD are all over the place in the Boston area almost like Starbucks in Seattle or SF.

Laing: Rocky Road was my first choice of ice cream at BR, yes the one on Morang near Pecars. The year was 1968. It was a warm Saturday night and it must of been at least 10 minutes for me and my family to make up our minds (that many choices was way above one's comprehension at the time)..The Rocky road is still a fav.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double Fudge chocolate on the bottom and Chocolate Mint on top with a sugar cone. We had a BR here in Ames for the first few years we lived here but it was in the mall so I imagine the rent got too high for it to succeed.

Now we have a Stone Cold Creamery and their ice cream is top notch. The only thing is you'll be standing there and all of a sudden the whole work force will break out in some goofy song and want everyone to join in and it puts you on the spot to put on fake happy which I detest. I freaked out the first time we went there. Now I just put my head down and pretend I'm deaf.

(Message edited by zitro on August 27, 2008)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - you're the best! Love the Creamery story - have never been there, but now I will be prepared.... and deaf.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone make chocolate marshmallow ice cream anymore?

Have A Nifty Day All. :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Don't forget your wallet either they're awfully proud of their ice cream.

Diane: I think Blue Bunny makes chocolate marshmallow

Kellyroad

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I'm with you 100% on the Stone cold creamery

Now that were on the ice cream stories,, Alinosi candies and ice cream are still going (I believe the "factory" on 6 mile may still be there) There is only one ice cream parlor left and that's on Mack just north of Vernier....Remember the one on Kelly 2 blocks north of 8 mi. Anyway the ice cream is still the best, even better than Sanders. BR, Strohs, Stone Cold etc....still has the highest butter fat (they now say butter cream) content. Now they are making ice cream and candies for specialty shops and a few restaurants If you're in the area check it out...Yesterday's ambience with the best ice cream. BTW, If you're a fan of butter pecan or maple walnut you'll be back.
http://metrotimes.com/food/pla ce.asp?id=6141

Zitro

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I've posted this before, but just for a memory jog.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Warren Farmers Market on Sunday has an Alinosis stand - I've always used self-control to walk around it - but not any more! Thanks All - especially, you, KR, for mentioning the Butter Pecan!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the repost Z: I had a friend at ND who worked at that Alinosi on Kelly. "He stated that Alinosi had 17% butter fat. It has more than any other brand of ice cream". Some how that stat stuck with me. The one remaining in GPW (was there just a few months ago) still has that great atmosphere...even serves water in a paper cone like Sanders used to. On a trip back to the area make that one of your stops

Kellyroad

Post Number: 946
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butter Pecan indeed CFG.....

Please pray for the above Tiger fan and Ice cream lover as he attempts to over come his addiction to Alinosi ice cream.

Zitro

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must have been cold in there you're turning blue

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilson lives in the area? I knew Tim Allen grew up here.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I'm the one taking the picture but that poor soul prefers to remain anonymous while he's working out some issues. BTW, it was cool in there.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm counting on support from all of you.

http://www.inews3.com/play.php ?first=&last=Eastburn

Kellyroad

Post Number: 948
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I can tell you he is a born and raised St. Judian, loyal to the Tigers unconditionally, He's true blue. Since this a St. Jude thread (the patron of hopeless cases) I thought that maybe a little intercession would help with his lofty Tiger expectations and ice cream addiction. I know we've discussed the importance of St. Jude's help in truly needy cases but I would like to implore everyone's help in this one. Thanks.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: LMAO, You've got my vote!
When are you announcing your VP candidate?

Zitro

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's pretty good EB. You've got my vote.

Zitro

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hillary is looking to latch onto someone since she got snubbed.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3443
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you guys hanging out talking ice cream while I slaved away over a hot computer. Boy,I feel left out.
Alinosi made the best Pistachio, which has always been my favorite ice cream flavor.
When BR first opened, my sister used to get a scoop of licorice with a scoop of bubble gum. Talk about gross.
They've reopened around 5 Sanders ice cream parlors in the suburbs. There's one in Wyandotte, Rochester, B'ham, and a couple more. They have just deserts, no lunch counter, but the little tables like before.

Jcole

Post Number: 3444
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, EB, I'll run as your Veep. We can run on an 'All Thumb's' ticket.

Jcole

Post Number: 3445
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that picture what they refer to as 'Talking til you're blue in the face'?

(Message edited by jcole on August 27, 2008)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in, Eastburn - You slogan IS "Alinosis in every home" right?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 416
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love it J - Now THERE'S a political group that I could relate to....talk about being all thumbs!

Eastburn

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, here's the deal. I'm requesting resumes from anyone interested in the Veep slot. Resumes may be submitted here or, for those with really checkered pasts (you know who you are), privately by e-mail.

J, you'll get extra credit for the name.

Z, bite your tongue.

Zitro

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why am I being censored?

Jcole

Post Number: 3448
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or do you mean censured??
Maybe both?

Zitro

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes

Eastburn

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hillary.

As you might guess, I'm somewhat to the right of Genghis Khan, politically. I consider Rush a pinko.

Zitro

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't confuse the name dropping with my political views. I'm on your side of the fence all the way.

Eastburn

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I figured that one out.

I very carefully stay out of the political BS on the rest of DS. I've never seen anyone converted politically so why bother arguing.

One of my best friends up here is the county Dem party chairman. He's even a delegate at the convention right now. I always tell him the only reason he got the job is that no one else wanted it & that there are only 16 Dems in Huron County