Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through August 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I wonder where old GB disappeared to. Hasn't been on the forums for two days now. I guess he's so important they probably called him to testify before the UN regarding solutions to the Georgia - Russia crisis. I'm sure we'll hear all about it when he gets back, treaty in hand.

Sabrelancer
Username: Sabrelancer

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD....knowing GB, albeit just for the last couple of days, he has probably convinced Georgia to go back into the Russian fold, and then convinced the Russians that he is the only one who can lead their country. Once our current beloved Mayor of Detroit is a former Mayor, then GB will set his sites on his real goal....DETROIT....hee..hee... . Actually, the city could do alot worse.

Speaking of GB...I too grew up with folks some of whom were very successfull, John Trentacosta comes to mind, but some who appear to have let the cheese slip from their cracker. You guys like to tease eachother, as I used to with my buddies in the big D when I lived there, but this guy has become what we accuse each other of in fun.....

Case in point. Ken Kluk...this guy was always the one who would learn a trade or profession, master it, get bored and become successful at another....everything from working an assembly line, to computer tech (building and repairing the things)....how in the world he came to this current state I have no idea, but altho it is a bit off topic, he IS from Detroit (albeit Finney HS), and perhaps we should count our blessings that most of our friends have not turned out like this....here are a couple of links to show you guys what I mean...
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/News/Detail?contentI d=7202715&version=2&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1. 1

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/News/Detail?contentI d=3283885&version=3&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.10 .1

http://thelightofgodministry.o rg/

A bit disconcerting when someone you grew up with turns out like this. I even have my church (menonite here is Espelkamp, really nice folks) praying for this numb skull.

While I'm giving out links, here's the one to my web site. Haven't worked on it in a while, and am replacing it with a commercial site in the next couple of weeks, but my bio is on it, along with what I think was a nifty video done in ActionScript which will play when the main page loads. Sound up loud guys or you miss the effect....this vid is soooooooooooo good that I got banned for life from you-tube...hee..hee

Sabrelancer

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.iamericanright.com

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: Mygawd...busy for a couple of days and ya'll multiple faster than a bunch of rabbits...or graduates of SJ!

Let it be known that some of us are engaged in activities meaningful to the future of Western Civilization...meaning that the muck in the stalls had piled up a tad.

Sabre...I keep tellin' ya...be careful of these two...one has spent 2/3's of a lifetime in California...you know what that means...the land of the nuts and...well...you know what I mean. The other spent enough teenage time there to become contaminated...and then went to Alma College...you can guess what happened there.

They like to dwell on Howie T...who happened to be a cheerleader teammate of my heart throb Sandy R. during the summer and fall of '58. Both of them go crazy with the thought that SR and I had some spectacular times on Belle Isle in my '56 Ford convertible chick mobile. The fact is that they were...and are...a pathetic pair of duds who have never been able to get a second look from a true fox. ES was saved from the Haight-Ashbury drug scene by a social worker who married him. OD was on the edge of being keel-hauled by the skipper of the USS Eagle when he went AWOL and spent the Viet Nam era in Toronto. They really are a sad pair.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabre: Judging from your insights, I assume you have already reviewed the archives for this thread. Yes we do tease each other a lot but in actuality GB, ES and I are good friends. GB and I were both in Scout Troop 706 and the same 8th grade class at Columbus. ES and I both lived on Mapleridge, although I moved out shortly before he moved in. Although to the outsider it may look like we hate each other we actually are friends, and no matter how vicious some of our comments may seem we know it's just good natured ribbing.

Regarding GB, he has had quite an illustrious career but ES and I do our best to try to keep him from getting a swelled head over it... usually with little success. He thinks everything he does is worthy of national attention, even cleaning horse poop out of the stall.

Notice from your bio you went to WMU like GB. Expect some ribbing on that... especially from ES. I would never tease anyone about his educational background. :-)

As for myself I've spent about six hours in Toronto in my entire life, so the Viet Nam ear must have been really short. To the best of my knowledge nobody that I grew up with went wacko... except maybe GB and ES. They are somewhat liberal whereas I am more conservative. However I try to avoid political debates in these forums and concentrate on trying to keep up with them on the zingers.

If you haven't already found them you might want to check out these threads too

Denby Tars https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/93477.html?1208311191
Eastwood Memories https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/129858.html?1208316656
Heilmann Park https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/102575.html

Sabrelancer

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi OD. Thanx for the links. Nope, hadn't read the archives, but our Detroit culture, at least east side, lead me to the conclusion / insight...

Yep, went to Western. At the time it had one of the top 10 biz colleges in the country. Unfortunately, Playboy Mag also rated it as one of the top 10 party schools....aka "Wasted Mich Univ". All too true, at least from my observations....I thought it was a pretty good university though, which didn't get nearly enough recognition for the things that they did do well.

Drove up to Toronto a couple of times in the early '70s to catch the Chinese ancient art exhibitions and to party like a fool....Oddly enough the slipped cheese on cracker Ken fellow, was who I went up there with to party hearty. I assume this was before he realized that he had been annointed as the last Prophet...oh brother, what a clod.

After I have contemplated a bit, putting myself back into "Detroiter Modus"...ie listening to ALOT of original Alice Cooper (Vince is doing really well in Phoenix) I shall take a stab at teasing you guys for a bit...hee..hee New blood may give you more devious ideas as to how to insult eachother......

Goblue

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabre: OD is correct...the three of us are friends...we all go way back on the East Side...although to tell the truth I knew ES's older brother better...he was in the Denby class ahead of me...ES was more like the little brother pain in the ass in those days. To be perfectly honest, ES and OD have had outstanding careers...ES as a California shrink and OD as a Detroit IT first with Oakland U. and then with EDS. You'll find that it is indeed easy to ridicule these two clowns...they make it so easy and have backgrounds that make it natural. Starting out in the early days OD was the boy scout who didn't know his left foot from his right and always kept us screwed up in marching formations...small wonder that he ended up in the CG Academy...and narrowly avoided being keel-hauled. ES has been a nere-do-well his entire life...early on he damn near got himself hung by the heels for getting caught messin' with the younger daughter (SHY...the Y for younger because her older sis has the same initials) of a DPD officer...her mom was our second grade teacher...talk about playing with fire...so to speak.

Myself on the other hand...after seriously considering a career as a Lutheran minister devoted my life to working on behalf of children...graduated from WMU in elementary education...married my childhood sweetheart...and spent a career quietly working to gain opportunities for others. And that's the truth, by God!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabre: OD and GB are some of the best that the Eastside produced. We have also entertained the idea of writing a book about those unique years on the Eastside. With all that I almost dropped my laptop when reading GB's comment about being a Lutheran minister ... whoa .... but than again in the methodist church on 7 and Morang we did embrace the concept that redemption is possible ... and that there were some very interesting coeds who attended the MYF group on Sunday nights .... Praise the Lord and maybe we should all pray for each other ....

Goblue

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I be prayin' for you brother...and I know for certain that OD has included you in his prayers...there is certainly redemption...and the Lord knows you need it! I am certain that your sainted mother does the same...including the three of you miscreants in her prayers...I will say a special prayer for her...Lord knows that she did not deserve the three of you!

Eastside61

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless YOU Father Bananahead .... I will add more dollars to this weeks collection plate in your honor ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabre: Wasted Michigan University? In my innocence I hadn’t heard that one before. But I guess that explains why GB went there… both as a student and later as faculty member.

GB, ES: Thankfully we have a big God, because he has his hands full with you two.

Goblue

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Please mail the check directly...I will see that it is donated to the proper mission program here in Prescott.

OD: US TWO!! I really think that God is somewhat overwhelmed with the two of you...likely you two have been subcontracted to Peter and company!

Eastside61

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Look for it as it was sent priority ... Tango's Mission program for former HS cheerleaders is a wonderful idea and has done a lot for the Prescott community .... Especially the photos of SR running across the Belle Isle bridge trying to get away from somebody on the island are memorable ..... probably a DAC lettermen and not a golfer or tennis player....

Goblue

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: In the photos...did SR have her skirt in hand?

Eastside61

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: another photo does show this driver of a Sunliner - I think it was a white one - with a thong over his head - and the skirt was hanging on the antenna ..... wow Is this the Scott Fountain incident ????? .... I used to park at the other end of the island - over by the yacht club ..... and I guess I must have dated no runners ...

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Remember, back in the ‘50s they didn’t have thongs as we know them now. What we called thongs then they call flip flops today. (Another good word ruined by the younger generation.) Did the ‘apparatus' say Bike on it? It was probably his jock strap.

Goblue

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: We always parked on the river side of the island...that way we could watch the freighters when we came up for air. Same here...never dated a runner...never took a prisoner in my life...all were willing and happy volunteers. Did have a scary incident on the island one time...SE59 and I were headed home probably around 1:00 A.M...driving through the middle of the island...fortunately had the top up...all of sudden there is a crowd of guys in the middle of the road...I slow down and start to come to a stop thinking there had been an accident...the crowd rushes the car...somebody yanks the door open on her side...I floored it and bounced one guy off of the right front fender...another guy landed on the hood for a few seconds until he rolled off on my side...the rest scattered...we got off the island with my foot in the carburetor and stopped the first cop car we saw...told them what had happened...they told us to go home, forget it and stay the hell off of the island after dark...that was about 1960 or '61. Scared the hell out of me...I assumed that I hadn't killed anybody. We settled for Balduck or her parent's living room couch after that.

As yas...the Scott Fountain incident...the time we dumped a big bottle of dish soap in the water...sucker foamed over in time...just doing our best to help keep the area clean.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Totally a part of the book .... wow .... and those were the "good old days" .....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We always parked on the river side of the island...

GB: It’s an island. Every side is the river side…. Have you ever wondered how your life might have been different if you hesitated a few seconds, and they pulled SE59 out of the car? But even more important… was the Sunliner scratched?

Goblue

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Naw...the Yacht Club side was considered the "canal side" of the island...you left for CA too soon to learn the distinctions...apparently ES didn't choose the more scenic side...he probably wasn't there long enough to be concerned about scenery...started grabbing a little...got his face slapped and then left to take his pissed-off date home...what a sad case...finesse was never his forte.

No scratches on the '56...but I gotta believe that I did some serious damage to the a-holes that I hit...I felt the hard "thunk" when they hit...and had a good view of the guy who bounced onto the hood...he was in the middle of the headlights...before he rolled off...today there would have been gunfire...thank God it was 1960. I seriously dislike SE59 for what she has done to our children...but, I've never wished her serious harm other than the time I thought about...well, never mind that fantasy...but...one has to wonder...it was a close call.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: It was probably Southeastern lettermen who were looking for the "Slicer" golf guy who was having his way with poor innocent little SE59 .... GB were you a caddie at the Belle Isle golf course ... right! OD is right - never heard of the canal side of the island ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I wasn't thinking of actual harm to SE59... maybe the thugs could just throw enough of a scare into her to make her question if she should be hanging around with you. She should have been questioning that anyway.

ES: I just learned the side of Hawaii closest to Asia is the ocean side. The side closest to the U.S. mainland is the canal side.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: When did Hawaii become an Island????? Are you sure????

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm too old to be sure about anything. But I always thought Hawaii (aka Big Island) was one of the islands in the Hawaiian Islands. Maybe there's sone class educator out there who could set me straight.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which is the canal side of the Big Island of Hawaii? Get out your 706 compass GB .... does it still have a needle????

Goblue

Post Number: 2362
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: You two are embarassing...please don't tell anyone that you ever attended Denby...please tell them you went to Notre Dame or some other such academy.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Remember I only went to Denby for 2 ˝ years. Were canals covered in the 12th grade?

Eastside61

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Is Belle Isle part of the Hawaiian Islands? When I went to Regina I sat right next to 7 & Kelly .... Howie was our best teacher.

Goblue

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/ES: You never have named that reform school in CA that they sent you to...clearly it didn't do much good. Sharon D wept for two weeks after they hauled you off in cuffs.

Maybe 7&K IS HT...he seemed a little bitchy.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: 7 was always reluctant to send the resume ..... and the only photo he had was from the 59 navigator ...... maybe he was a SJS cheerleader too. Oh - father Banana head please tell us more about this Sharon D .... interesting! Columbus / Denby / Mapleridge boy connection????