Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They shoot pool in Houston? That's a cold weather sport. Next thing you know they'll be playing hockey in Phoenix. That's just wrouuung!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most old schools still have something like a fallout shelter, but newer ones don't.
When there is a tornado warning here, they send the kids into a central hallway. Our Junior High building still has a shelter, but I think it's storage.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468_Laing---I'm fine. We look to just get a bunch of rain. Gustav is hitting primarily the Louisiana coast and inland areas along with a bit of Alabama and our cost which is Galveston. The worst we'll have is some flooding but, it clears up quickly.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D. Leave a light on. I think JC & Z will be taking you up on your offer.

Diane12163

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn---What am I? Motel 6 or something? LOL:

Eastburn

Post Number: 434
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got to be careful about offers you float out here, Diane. You never know who might show up.

Diane12163

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life and SJS is like a box of chocolates. Never know what yer gonna git. LOL :-)

Well, all I can say is that they better be good or I'll make them write lines. :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me. There is no better place on Earth than S.E. Michigan in November. The Red Wings, Lions and Pistons are all in full swing. You can finally turn off your air conditioner and the automatic sprinkling system. Mosquitos, and other annoying bugs are gone. Christmas lights adorn the houses...more and more every day. The chance for snow arrives! Thanksgiving parade, leftover turkey, college football rivalry games, shopping for Christmas presents, ... , get that cocoon ready...Winter's on it's way!

Diane12163

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly---Awwwww.....you're snug as a bug in a rug.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3497
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I'm hanging on to summer with both hands and my teeth. I hate the cold.
Houston is too humid tho. I prefer Austin or San Antonio

7andkelly

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

November in S.E. MI continued:

Fireplace on, Lazy Boy chair, TV remote at the ready, snow flakes out the window, cup of cocoa or hot apple cider, Tim Horton's maple frosted donut, Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup, a 4-day weekend, laptop all charged up...

7andkelly

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, that must have been you we saw at the Romeo Peach Festival racing to the front of the line for the giant slide, cotton candy in hand, for "just one more time, please, can I please".

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rudy Johnson in a Lions uni....Get your super bowl tickets early.@*__*@

7andkelly

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, thanks for spreading the good word, but you forgot to mention the rest of it...Tatem Bell is out. No need to wonder why the Bengals released RJ...I'm sure Millen vetted him thoroughly before signing him.

Since you expressed Lions love before the regular season, Cfg may have some Munchos for you. You may not get them, though, unless you can demonstrate you were initially reluctant...the more incalcitrant the better.

Diane12163

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking of Fall and fruit, I was first runner up in the Pime Mission Miss Grape pageant at their Grape Fall Festival.I guess that Miss Grape was able to fulfill all her duties as I was not called to fill in for her.

Houston is less humid from September through April.

When I was growing up my mom would make Belgian potato soup from potatoes and buttermilk. She'd mash the potatoes and instead of regular milk, put the buttermilk in until it was a thick cream soup consistency. She would almost boil the buttermilk first before adding it. Then she'd put a dash or so of black pepper on each bowl of it and serve it with sausage and pumpernickel bread. Talk about yummy. I make it myself and I've come up with a quicker way. I boil the buttermilk stirring alot and add in Hungry Jack instant poatoe flakes and it comes out tasting pretty much the same.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 955
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Let's celebrate the now,,,Rudi, Rudi, Rudi, Rudi

Diane: Was Belgian potato soup served at the Cadieux Cafe along with steamed mussels? Sounds delicious...nothing like an old St. Jude neighborhood memory.....belgian potato soup in a brick bungalow on Manning st.

Diane12163

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad---So true, so true. I'm not exactly sure if it was served at Cadieux. I've got a few recipes if you guys are interested. A couple are my mom's and some are my own creations.

And the soup had a funny name(phonetically spelled as I don't know the real spelling) toynchess pop.

(Message edited by diane12163 on September 02, 2008)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a memorial card for Father Campion Clifford on FB. He was the Retreat Director at St. Paul of the Cross Retreat House. Anyone remember him? I don't remember going there except to sing for his funeral.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 956
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I don't recall Fr. Clifford. Was he an associate at St. Jude?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 957
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Welcome back children to the new school year.
Let us pray. In the name of the Father......"

"Please get out your assignment books. Your homework assignments are on the black board."

"Campfire girl, please report to the office. You will raise the flag this week."

Zitro

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he and Fr. Ording were buds, because they made a big deal out of doing up this grand ceremony for his funeral. Maybe if SJBAD is lurking he can recall more specifics.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 958
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conversation last night with my mother about St. Jude:.... Fr. Ording said that the church funding was through the hard work and many donations of the working class people of the parish. There wasn't a hugh endowment from any one benefactor. Hagopian provided the Persian rugs that graced the Altar and parts of the rectory.

Zitro

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what became of those rugs?

Diane12163

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Scuse Me,"(Diane raising hand)Mrs. Carloni? Can I please be excused to go to the bathroom?"(secretly Diane is planning to sneak out of school and walk over to Little Ceasars for a slice slice and then to Sweetheart for a couple Longjohns)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 959
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: You only have a half day of school today. You'll have enough time for treats.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 960
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Where are the rugs?

Zitro

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Where was the PIME mission grounds located?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 961
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.pimeusa.org/mission store.html
Diane: Where was the Grape Fall Festival held?

Zitro

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Thanks I had found that web site, but I seem to recall there being some grounds somewhere in Oakland County right off one of the mile roads. I can't find anything about it on there. They may have sold it off due to the escalating real estate values that came about.

Eastburn

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, Sacred Heart Rehab Center just outside of Memphis, MI was originally the PIME Missionaries seminary.

I lived just a 1/4 mile down the road from it before I moved up here. They were my next door neighbor so to speak.