Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 983
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sad story JC

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed

Zitro

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Ember Days during Lent?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 984
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Got to agree bout Dickie V, he is THE voice of college basketball. Got to give him credit in trying to reVITALIze the stones back in the day....too little time and too short on talent

Kellyroad

Post Number: 985
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please enlighten us re Ember Days...anything to do with fasting? vaguely remember

Did the Wooden Shoe Bakery have a wooden shoe on the building?....nice blast from the past.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3576
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a sad story. I babysat Trav til he was 6, along with his little brother, who also got drafted into the pros, New England. He also go injured, and teaches in Vegas last I heard. My girls were good friends with the boys when they were little, and his mom and I were tight for a long time. Sad, sad funeral.

Jcole

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, done wallowing now.
I remember Ember days. It seems as if they were Wednesdays and Fridays. Wednesday used to be a fast day as well as Fridays I think, before our time.

Zitro

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a 1964 SJ Calendar. It's posted on FB. There's also all of these guidelines about fasting regarding what age you were too. I don't remember any of it. I would expect Laing would remember the Wooden Shoe bakery it was more his neck of the woods.

Jcole

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the fast and abstinence rules change fairly soon after that article? Like within a year or two? Vatican II changed it all. That would explain why we don't remember it well, Z.

Zitro

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be, I have no idea how anyone kept it straight.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 986
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice postings of facebook Z. Did you know anyone on the 1963 baseball team that was reported in the Michigan Catholic?
It was nice to see who won the first place prize for best center piece at the blue and gold cub scout banquet.

Zitro

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew just about everyone on that team. A lot of them were great football players at ND, Denby & St. Ambrose later on a lot of Soup Bowlers. It was my older brother's team. Don DeDonatis was drafted by the Tigers

Kellyroad

Post Number: 987
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 rules that changed after Vatican II were fasting only one hour before communion and abstinence from meat on Fridays during Lent and Ash Wednesday only

Zitro

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Mike Nannini was the bat boy for that team, I mentioned this before, but I ran into his son last year when he was pitching for the Albuquerque Isostopes at Principal Park in Des Moines.

Zitro

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted the names of the team on FB.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 988
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Many familiar St. Jude names including Terry Bulgarelli a neighbor of ours on Faircrest and Rex. Thanks

Jcole

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't we have a Nanninni in our class? A girl?
Snodgrasses were our neighbors on Maddelein, I think. They lived on the other side of Redmond

Zitro

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I think it was Pat, but she must not have graduated with us. I think they lived in HW so she may have transferred.

Jcole

Post Number: 3583
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, do you remember a Tommy Snodgrass? I think he was older than us

Zitro

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he the one that was disabled?

Jcole

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think so. Was he around 10 years our senior?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all. way to go wolverines. it still is a little wierd seeing someone else than a schembechler disciple being coach. after the renovations, 108,000 will be the big house. anyway, wooden shoe bakery was the place we got all our birthday cakes - morang was the place for biz in those days. there was a picture of a wooden shoe on their "shingle", may have been in the shape of one. i remember it being on the corner and the place, even outside the doors smelled wonderful. remember the owners - husband and wife, always nice. also remember pat nannini in the class of 71. cute little girl then. don't remember where she went after.

Jcole

Post Number: 3585
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a Sarah Nannini?

Zitro

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Sarah Mcinniny

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K....Tommy Snodgrass had a brace on his leg and "Danny" the ice cream guy was disabled in some way too...........for me it was a rare treat to score a "Sky Blue" popsicle 'cause I HAD to go hbome for lunch living only 2 blocks away..........sigh..........wh at I wouldn't give for one one my moms' bologna sandwichs with mayo.......and the smiles from the moms across the street.........Mrs. S.............and Mrs.. V.......watching over us..............I guess they still are.......hmmmmmmm

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K....Tommy Snodgrass had a brace on his leg and "Danny" the ice cream guy was disabled in some way too...........for me it was a rare treat to score a "Sky Blue" popsicle 'cause I HAD to go home for lunch living only 2 blocks away..........sigh..........wh at I wouldn't give for one my moms' bologna sandwichs with mayo.......and the smiles from the moms across the street.........Mrs. S.............and Mrs.. V.......watching over us..............I guess they still are.......hmmmmmmm

Jcole

Post Number: 3586
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, you got it. That's who I was thinking of.

Jcole

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 7KK,

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Lions!

Believe in now.

They must believe in themselves, because they spotted Atlanta 21-0.

Jcole

Post Number: 3590
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Lions, go somewhere far away.