Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through August 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Ain't that the truth! Small wonder that our apps for Harvard were rejected! But...we had one hell of a good time...

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing It needs to be a big part of the book .... and we were in the collegiate track too.... A+ in socialization skills is what I put on my Harvard App that dick head H Hammond signed ..... so I turned down a full ride to Harvard to attend MSU.... I have no regrets..

Goblue

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my heart set on the Naval Academy...got torpedoed by the likes of Hammond, Diekoff, Mills, etc...complete lack of counseling...tutoring...you name it. There were great educators at Denby...but there were also incredible losers too.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With GB's potential if he had gone to Annapolis he probably would have advanced to Navy Rear Admiral. Instead he went to WMU and became a horses rear end.

Goblue

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabre and GB...outstanding grads of WMU...now we gotta listen to ES's diatribe because he attend a tier two ag school...but...it did lead him to wealth and riches as a goat rancher.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasted Michigan University ... is all that needs to be said! Go Bronco's Go! So was it that you were drunk for all 7 years that it took you to graduate ? Or was it a wasted educational program? Remember GB you graduated and then bought a Valiant! That is significant! and very concerning to OD and myself .....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Don’t mock WMU. It was there that GB learned how to ferment cactus juice… a knowledge that eventually led him to settle in AZ where the juice supply is plentiful.

Goblue

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most years I prepare a plentiful supply of prickly pear jelly from the fruit of the cactus in our front yard...this year I'm gonna pass...but...next year you two fruits can count on a Christmas present from the Southwest.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Thanks for asking about gifts for next Christmas ... just a pic of you standing with Howie next to the valiant ....Oh! yes on Eastwood!

Goblue

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The only pic I've ever seen of HT was in the '59 Navigator as a teammate of SR...although there was the other one on the front steps of SJ...just before he was admitted to Alma College.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You don't think that OD has known Howie for all these years? I wonder who OD lived with while attending Alma? Wow!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelly from GB and goat’s milk from ES. Yummy… If we can just get Sabre to send us some German Bauernbrot this could be the best Christmas yet.

Guys, I just saw an article about HT in the lifestyles section of the TC Record-Eagle. Seems he retired to TC after a successful career as the WMU head cheerleading coach but winters in AZ practicing his hobby training horses.

Goblue

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: SR told me one time that her teammate HT had a real thing for goats...do you suppose there is a hidden reason that ES keeps Violet and Gretta in the barn? San Jose...where men are men and the goats are nervous.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: HT is living in Prescott AZ ..... I do not think that SR lives in Prescott .... lets see Oh ... that's right GB is there .... just like the DHS and WMU days once again ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will HT be going with GB and Tango to their obedience class in CO next month?

Eastside61

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: No Doubt GB needs to get his act together .... Howie was DHS first male cheerleader and GB was DHS ...... Well - You know?
What a couple! and one of the first out of the closet as they say!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I hope HT doesn't find out that GB gave their special blanket (the one they used to use on the canal side of the island) to Tango.

Goblue

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES/OD: Well, well, well...finally figured out what you two ding-dongs have in common...school colors...white! That makes it easy to use a bedsheet for a flag...with the motto "We Give Up"! Add in Green (envy) and Maroon (who knows). No wonder you two are thick as thieves!

Hell...it was no wonder that ES was never able to find the scenic side of the island...he just parked as soon as he could when he got off the bridge and started grabbing...no wonder he had 200 first dates...never could get a second one.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Alma’s colors were maroon and creme (not white). White is so common; creme is class. But I guess it would be unreasonable to expect one whose favorite colors are corn and blue to appreciate the difference….. Re: ES’s dates.. not true! Most of them jumped off the bridge before he got to the island.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/GB: once they started jumping off of the bridge I would drive towards BI and then turn off of Jefferson and just park on East Grand Blvd .... What does the phrase "Ding Dong" mean? There was a golfer at DHS who graduated in '59 as the legend goes has always been described as "Long Dong" ... or was it the first male Cheerleader in the history of the school that GB knows?????

Goblue

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/ES: Ah...mea culpa...creme de la creme...you are correct...white is sooooo common...especially when mixed with green.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Avoidance of issues stated on this thread cannot be ignored ... quit reverting back to some lame color chart .... and deal with the Denby Lettermen of 1959! SR told me that she only dated you once because of your obsession with Green / white objects and school songs....

Goblue

Post Number: 2373
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: SR and I dated through the summer of '58...by fall it was over...fun while it lasted...now that you mention it she did have a green thong.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: did you still clean her house and do chores on Farmbrook during the fall of 58....?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, ES: The river’s current carried ES’s bridge jumpers well past downtown before they reached the shore. The ones he pulled out and had his way with were dumped in at the foot of Alter Road….. Thongs again? What is this fascination you two have with footwear?... Haven’t I taught you yet that they didn’t have thongs as we know them now in the ‘50s? What GB saw must have been a green jock strap… which suggests that it wasn’t SR he was with, but another Denby cheerleader.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You insightful devil .... once again exposing this SR over HT myth that he continues to spit out of his mouth. My jumpers actually made it to Cleveland - stopping off at Bob-Lo and then Put-In - Bay as part of their escape route and went right into education .... I think in Huntsville or Alaska - not sure!

Goblue

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD/ES: You're right...thongs as we know them today hadn't been invented in the summer of '58...I wonder what it was that was on the floor of the '56.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB- Hey... you were on the floor of the Sunliner when confronted by the angry mob ... good thing that SE59 knew how to drive ....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: The things on the floor… Were here two of them? A yellow one and a blue one? They were probably your socks…. Someone should have warned you about the Zug Island hoodlums before you took SE59 parking there.

ES: GB’s mother dressed him in his yellow and blue socks each morning before sending him off to school. He would take them off as soon as he got out of sight so the kids wouldn’t all laugh at the corny colors…. In the scouts his ankles were always getting chafed by the spats we wore with our uniforms because he wouldn’t put on his socks…. He always put the top down on the Sunliner so he wouldn’t gas his date…. After he married SE59 she made him put his socks on so they could buy a car with a roof.

Goblue

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Zug Island? Hell...we were parked on Mapleridge!