Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Brown Nosers meeting tomorrow night 7:30 pm at the K of C hall on 7 Mile. Bring a freshly polished apple.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You comin', too, ZZ?

Zitro

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! You know me better than that. Although you might want to invite OD, you guys got him to sheepishly apologize 3 times and he'll need to brush up his skills when Go Blow come back.

Jcole

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, c'mon,it'll be fun. We can all suck up to each other, and make fun of everyone who's not there

Zitro

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, since you put it that way it does sound kind of fun. Can we have Fantasy Pizza?

Jcole

Post Number: 3675
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as we can get Tastee Freez for dessert

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

count me in if we can include a trip to kavans for a ground round. now that was some good eats! wasn't there a place called tj's on kelly that had breakfasts? remember going with my dad, and really liking it, but that was too many years back.

Zitro

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put some roquefort cheese on that Kavan burger with a big thick slice of fresh onion and you've got me hooked. Is the Kavan's by MCCC still open? I know they had one in Rochester too, but that closed a long time ago.

I was trying to think what that tj's was before, I want to say it was a bar.

Zitro

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throw in some of their Onion Rings too!

Zitro

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have to take the Brown Nosers oath if I attend do I? I'd rather show up as a guest and check out the landscape first

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

used to work at the kavans on morang. crazy times. and on the trivia side, bill kavan owned ty cobb's house before he built on lakeshore dr.

Zitro

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't know that one laing. He built right on the corner of Moross and Lakeshore Drive right?

Jcole

Post Number: 3676
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kavan's on M59 is now a Barbecue, but we can dream, right?
That roquefort burger could only get better with a little bacon, too.

Jcole

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, just because it's you, we'll let you skip the oath for the first meeting, but after that, you'll have to sign up

Zitro

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the one on 12 mile by MCCC

Jcole

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I thought you meant the one by north campus. I don't know about the one on 12 Mile. I'll check on line, or Mary would know.

Jcole

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I thought you meant the one by north campus. I don't know about the one on 12 Mile. I'll check on line, or Mary would know.

Jcole

Post Number: 3680
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of Aug 2008, it's still there on 12 and Hayes.
http://www.insiderpages.com/b/ 3716156332
Let's have the meeting there. You can smuggle in the Fantasy Pizza, Z, or we can stop at Cloverleaf which is still on Gratiot near 10, I think

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep still there - Burgers aren't as good as the old days - but there was nothing like a Morang Kavan's burger with Onion Rings. They just re-did the place a couple of years ago.

Zitro

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's up to the Grand Poobah Brown Noser who has been conspicuously quiet.

Jcole

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is layin' low today, isn't he. Maybe he's jealous that I won the contest

Zitro

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially since he claimed victory first and was thanking the crowd and giving his aw shucks speech.

Zitro

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Some of the reviews from the link above indicate the burgers aren't as good anymore as well. Guess we're back to eating virtual Kavan's

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this case, virtual WOULD be better, as last time I was there, I didn't consider the burger as a dinner option - which would have been scandalous in the old days! The onion soup is still good.

Jcole

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like they say, pride goeth before a fall, and all that

Zitro

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of onion soup. There used to be a place I believe it was on VanDyke around 12 mile on the east side. They had the best onion soup. It was kind of a Bavarian themed place. I want to say Rathskellar or something like that. Ring any bells?

Jcole

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Van Dyke north of 12 there was a place called the Keg and I, which is now Michelle's and the Sweetheart Bakery. It was a couple things in between those two, but I don't remember anything Bavarian. There was a place further north that looked German, but was called Sixpence, and they had awesome soup and sandwiches.
How long ago we talking here?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle's is located north of 13 (Chicago road)
along with Sweetheart Bakery...all is good

Sixpence around 17 mile has been closed for sometime. I think the building is gone too..You're right...they did have great food

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle's is nice. If we go there, make it a Tuesday. It's Polish night! And of course the bakery is right there...attached.

Gino's Surf lounge had better french onion soup, and Marinelli's on Rochester Rd., just south of Long Lake wasn't bad either. Better yet, the Brass Lantern in Prudenville, but unfortunately that was torn down for a CVS.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe J won the contest. It's not right. I thought I had stolen it fair and square. One number wrong on that address, or I could have had it. Of course KR always liked J better, so he would just "interpret" it all in her favor anyway...just like in school...the girls were favored over the boys...still are. Sulk, sulk, sulk...whine, whine, whine...wallow, wallow, wallow...pass the Sweetheart Bakery humble pie.

I feel better now.

Congratulations J!