Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cloverleaf, now there is a name from the past. got into a big wreck driving onto gratiot after there. not my fault, when the other driver got out of his car, he fell on gratiot and couldn't get up till the cops got there. that was the end of my 72 plymouth duster. pissed me off. kavans ground rounds were a dinner when you got fries or onion rings. that was my first job when i was at denby. still remember my folks sitting at the bar to bring me home - couldn't drive at the time. one night al martino came in. true story. he kissed my mom on the cheek and don't think she ever washed that cheek off the rest of her life. al was supposed to be a friend of the manager - seems his name was vito something - true italian, skinny, and talked with an italian accent. still remember after the michigan state fairs, old man kavan would buy a steer and put up a pen in the parking lot for it. then would be dinner for the masses.

12468_laing

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, now i know this has nothing to do with sjs, but got to brag on my son at the naval academy. he put in for his service selection monday - surface warfare specializing in oceanography - he is a math major and that is supposed to be the primo path to go. anyway, he has been approached by an admiral who wants to interview him for a spot on a submarine - out of a class of 1200, only 80 get this chance. now, he is torn. be under water for a long time, or be on a ship. wish i had those choices. for me, it was wayne state or cook at the clock on east warren. made it to wsu.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stories Laing.
I had a 68 Coronet with the 318. Fastest take off from a light most of the time. Step hard on the gas for some impressive tire squealing. The max speed (and my Sacred Heart Auto League sticker) saved my life that day in Detroit on Hayes near Whittier.

12468_laing

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sacred heart auto league - are they still around? remember when i got that duster, my mom made me put one of their medals on my dashboard. remember the little license plate tags the disabled veterans sent out? now, that was truly a good idea. great way to have lost keys sent back.

12468_laing

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&k, had one of those slant 6's in my duster. loved it. recently found the brochure for the car when we got it from dick green on gratiot. funny thing, my son thought it looked sissy. was all i could do............................ .............................. .............................. .............................. ......

7andkelly

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only are they still around, but I still have them in my vehicles.

About a year ago, a cop pulled me over for speeding. I thought I was toast. When he came back with my license and registration he pointed to my Sacred Heart picture on the dash and said "That picture saved you today. My Mom has always had one of those in her car." What a nice guy.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's where those key ring license plate tags were from. I would love to have those now. Maybe I can google me up some right now! Of course I'll send them the one donation, and end up on their mailing list for life.

12468_laing

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, there ya go 7&k.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well gang.............I can hardly keep up.......Kavans......(both of them)....didn't even bother with KR's pic contest..........Cloverleaf pizza.....Sweetheart Bakery......on and on..........sigh.........Lord, give me the courage..........and the wisdom........life goes on.........and on................and on.......djv

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well gang.............I can hardly keep up.......Kavans......(both of them)....didn't even bother with KR's pic contest..........Cloverleaf pizza.....Sweetheart Bakery......on and on..........sigh.........Lord, give me the courage..........and the wisdom........life goes on.........and on................and on.......djv

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3686
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, 7, I said I'd share the prize with you. You don't need to whine. Sister'll probably take your side anyway.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All. I've been playing hookie. I see some talk about restaurants. Here's a list of my faves:

Mexican Fiesta(Ford And Telegraph)
Comos(Ferndale)
Lucilles(on Kirby)
Cloverleaf(Gratiot)
Mr. Paul's Chophouse(Groesbeck)
Dimitri's(15 and Gratiot)
Sinbads(Riverfront)
Sweet Lorraine's(Downtown)
Plackas(Greektown)
Coney Island at Van Dyke And Hall Road(Brother in law Pat Bianchi works there)
Kim's Garden(Novi)
Jovan's(15 and Dodge Park)
Penna's
Maria's(Ferndale)
Original Pancake House(All Locations)
Travis(St Clair Shores)
ALbans Bottle And Basket(Birmingham---Have the artichoke hearts with lemon and drawn butter...yummmm)

Those are some and if they all fail, you all can have me up and I will cook you a very lovely breakfast, lunch and dinner with dessert included.

MENU
Breakfast:
Homemade waffles with my own fruit compote and fresh whipped cream served with sausage links, homemade OBrien potatoes and fresh brewed coffee.

Lunch
Homemade Chicken salad in a wrap with fresh shredded lettuce and cheese served with cut fresh fruit

Dinner:
Choices:
Homemade slow cooked Italian pasta sauce made with fresh stewing beef and fresh basil served over Barilla Plus whole grain flax pasta with fresh Italian 6 Cheese blend. Served with a salad of mixed fresh greens, raisins, walnuts, apples and balsamic vinegarette.
Or Mexican Chicken Enchiladas, my own recipe.
Or: An Asian sweet and sour stir fry.
Or A Pork Tenderloin with rosemary red potatoes and green beans wrapped in bacon and oven done
Or A beef roast seasoned with bayleaf, thyme, basil and oregano served with mashed potatoes and glazed baby carrots.

Dessert:
Lemon Chiffon Pie(Light, airy, refreshing)

Anyone up for some yum?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing - Loved my 72 DUSTER - Powder blue with a black and white racing stripe on the side. 1st solo ownership car, up until then, Bet and I shared a 66 Valiant and a 68 Dart.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take two eggs poached medium over shredded wheat (moistened with water, buttered, then lightly fried), some white toast with honey, a small glass of Minute Maid orange juice (low acid, pulp free), and a regular glass of half percent milk, and a multi-vitamin with iron.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sixpence was the place I was thinking of. I guess it was more of a Tudor style than Bavarian. The would put so much of that gooey cheese on top and it would be golden brown. You'd have to wait about 10 minutes before you could even think about eating it, it was so hot. The cheese was so thick you's have to cut it with a knife or you's find yourself having it hanging all over the spoon down into the bowl and have to look around to see if anybody was watching you biting off the string from the spoon. Thanks TS!

Zitro

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya go 7:

7andkelly

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's hot cheese you're looking for, try Koolisky's in Troy at John R and Wattles by the Troy Sports Center.

Do you remember an entertainer named Frankie Rapp who used to perform at Gino's Surf Lounge?

Jcole

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I loved a sandwich they had at Sixpence. It was an open face turkey and ham on thick toast, covered in Welsh Rabbit. For anyone who doesn't know, Welsh Rabbit is a melted cheese sauce made with cheddar, beer, hot sauce and a dash or dry mustard. When they closed, I almost cried.

Jcole

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Koolinsky's (or Joe Kool's) is a pretty good place. They have a steak sandwich with Havarti cheese that's really good, as well as their fish and chips

Zitro

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take a bowl of Onion Soup and 2 of those sandwiches and 2 of the open face steak sandwiches from Joe Kool's. Do they deliver?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lunch already? I'm in. I'll take a tres amigos with an O'douls from Don Pablos, and that basket of chips with my own bowl of hot salsa.

Jcole

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, ZZ, I'll get it ready for shipment.
7, didn't Don Pablos go out of business, or is that just the one down on Van Dyke and 14 Mile?

Zitro

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: was that before Rapp was kool?

Jcole

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rapp's Orchard was always Kool, ZZ

7andkelly

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I think you're right about that Don Pablos, but "I can dream, can't I"? I know Chi Chi's on 11 and Hoover is now a Wright and Filipis:-(

Speaking of food, St. Anne's Sausage Festival is this weekend. They always have a great Polish combo plate! If you're in a hurry they'll even wrap it up.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a nice toboggan hill over by Rapp's, J.

Jcole

Post Number: 3695
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rapp's is out of business. They went under about 3 years ago. Westview is the big one in the Romeo area now. They have the goat pens, hay bale climbing things, pies, cider, donuts, etc. Weekends they always have a ton of little kids out there.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you all are doing the restaurant thing, this former St. Judian has got to represent downriver:

Nana's Kitchen...cozy diner atmosphere in downtown Wyandotte: still the best chicken stir fry around anywhere and cant't beat their stuffed cabbage soup

Sibley Gardens: In Trenton, Great Italian-American Food in an old traditional setting. only downside...I't across the street from the shut down McClouth Steel Plant

R.P. McMurphy's in downtown Wyandotte: great bistro/restaurant ..building is over 100 years old. cozy atmosphere, great service

Hoy Pan on Grosse Ile: Great Chinese Food set in a remote atmosphere just a short distance from the southern part of the Detroit River.

Jcole

Post Number: 3696
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, R.P. McMurphy's? Named after Randall Patrick McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Do they fry everything with a shock treatment machine, and do the waitresses all wear nurse costumes?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Restaurant trivia:

Where is the bocce ball hall of fame located (or was located) and who was its commissioner during the 1970s early 80s?