Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 448
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad news. I just got word that 7_and_kelly_kid died Friday morning. Apparently died in his sleep. Let's keep him in our prayers.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: From the whole Eastside Thread out hearts/ prayers go out to 7 and his family .... so sorry to hear such sad news ....

Eastburn

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, ES. Despite all the BS that goes on around here, we have a lot more in common than we'd sometimes like to admit.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May God rest his dear soul.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3742
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sad about Dave, he was a great contributor to the thread.

Zitro

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a somewhat lighter note. Rumor has it John Kitna is having lasix eye surgery tomorrow, it should help determine the difference between his team and the opponents jerseys

Jcole

Post Number: 3743
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After todays game, maybe he should just gouge his eyes out altogether and start over.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear God. I had been in touch with him just a week ago. He is on my Facebook. His life was too short. It really sucks when you are just making a new friendship to lose that friend. Could I ask a favour here? Could I please have you private message me on Facebook with your real names? It seems like you all kind of know eachother and I feel out of the loop here. I so wish more of us from SJS would contribute here and on Facebook. Even poeple who we might not have gotten along with then could end up being our very best friends now. Life is too short to not have your family and as many friends as you can to fill it with joy and meaningful times. God bless you all, God be with and comfort Dave's family and may his soul have had a beautiful welcome into our Lord's house.

Jcole

Post Number: 3748
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see you made it through the storm.
We'll all miss Dave's posts. I hope he's more at peace now.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is indeed very sad to learn of 7_and_Kelly_Kid's (David Van De Wyngearde) passing last Friday. Dave was a childhood friend of mine, lived right across the street on Eastwood, attended St. Jude School later St. Thomas and Denby. After high school we both went our separate ways never being in contact for over 30 years... Through the magic of the internet (specifically on an Eastside thread of Detroit Yes Forum) we were reconnected. He called last spring...We were on the phone for 4 hours, I had never been on the phone that long in my life. Dave pointed out "You know I think this is the first time we have ever talked on the phone together" Of course back in the day a dash out the door and a yell at the side door was a much more effective way to communicate.....the irony of Dave's statement couldn't have been more poignant. Dave's recollection of Eastwood Ave. and St. Jude Parish memories seemed like a time warp that just unraveled with the most detailed and fervent descriptions of the northeast side during the 60s. He was a true eastsider and loved St. Jude Parish. We reunited at the St. Jude grounds planting day on June 1 but never did make that trip down memory lane on Eastwood as we had planned with camera and curb ball in hand. May he rest in peace.

Jcole

Post Number: 3750
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I truly feel your loss. I'm very sorry that you never got to go back to your own stomping grounds together, but maybe sometime you can go again, and he'll be at your side, smiling and young.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not know david, but I am sure that if I had, he would have been a true friend from all I have heard. Maybe since he reunited with you at the St. Jude grounds planting day, one will grow tall and true for him. Bless his heart.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't believe it when I got the chance to see two of our slackers, helping out on St. Jude grounds planting day! What a delight it was to meet both "mystery" friends. He sure did love St. Jude and it was a delight to visit with him that day. St. Jude as brought many of us together and I know the parish - and the saint - will continue to do so. My prayers are with Dave and his family too.

Eastburn

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, Most of us use our real names on FB. Those that choose not to prefer to keep some anonymity. I can understand that. I believe that those who post here who seem to know one another are those who were classmates or neighborhood friends. I personally don't "know" any of the folks on here other than through these threads. You're certainly not being left out. You are "one of us".

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: You hit the nail on the head.

P.S.
Thanks for the 7KK info

Zitro

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing did you see the hymnal?

Eastburn

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, please let us know if you learn anything about services.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I will

Zitro

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Did you graduate SJ with Gary Zawicki?

Jcole

Post Number: 3766
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, was that Pam Zawicki's brother?

Zitro

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know for sure. I don't think so

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: talked to the Padre yesterday about your Mom's painting. He hasn't seen it...sorry.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: No Zawicki that I recall.. just checked the 67 class pic

Zitro

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR must have been a year before you.

Thanks CFG: I just hope it found a good home

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Where do original paintings like that go? What a mystery and what a shame!
Please redescribe the painting at Sinbad's. I want to know what to look for when I return.

Zitro

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you check out the choir pic on FB, he's standing right next to Greg Zajdel 2 kids down from Mr. Bass

Zitro

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a burning ship in an old frame supposedly made out of timbers from a sunken ship. The owners didn't like the painting that was in it, but loved the frame and commissioned her to paint something to fit the frame. It has a nice spotlight on it to accentuate the flames, it's in oil and signed. It's in the main dining room. I was in there we we came back for the WS just a couple years ago. I have an old polaroid of it, but it's so dark I know it won't transpose well.

I don't know where a painting like that would have went, it was a fairly large size not like you could stick in your pocket.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is a lot of special memories "walked" during the changing of the guard after the renovation. I wasn't going there regularly at that time, so I don't know who was in charge or how items were "lost".

Zitro

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: In one of my albums marked Potporri with 10 pics in it, is one I have hanging in my house that's similar. The one at Sinbad's had a horizontal orientation.