Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, did you say you looked in the old choir room area yourself? I'm guessing if it is not still there, maybe it was moved to another location, or was put away in a storage closet temporarily. I sense it is still in the Church somewhere.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: It hung in the choir vestry, not the choir room, I remember there being closets in that room where we hung the vestments, that would seem a logical place.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB---Thank you so much. Funny how I tried so hard to fit in when I went to SJ and got treated so badly by mostly all of my fellow classmates and now I am finally fitting in. I'm very happy that Iam. It makes all the childhood I wnet through worth it.

Does anyone know where there might be a death notice for Dave? I've looked in Freep, Det. News and Macomb Daily but can't find a thing. I'm hoping for an electronic guestbook I can sign as I haven't any means to send flowers or a donation.

Kellyroad---I think you should take a cam to Eastburn and do your own documentary in honour of Dave and post it on FB and we should try to keep his profile active and post on it as if he were still with us. I think his spirit can live on through it.

Anybody----Any news on acquiring the class pics from the years at SJS in the church basement yet?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, Cfg is on the case. I'm sure those will be found.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All:
According to Dave's brother Jim, Dave's death notice will be in the papers by the weekend. He died of "natural causes". Dave is survived by his twin children in their mid twenties. Dave visited Jim just a couple of weeks ago at which time Dave mentioned how much he cared for this St. Jude forum and how fondly he remembered St. Jude parish and the Eastwood neighborhood.
Dave will be cremated tomorrow. There will be no services.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3772
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for letting us know KR. It must be hard for his kids to deal with this. They, too, will be in my thoughts
I'm glad we could make Dave a little bit happy at the end

Diane12163

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you 7andKelly and Kellyroad.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, thanks for making that call, and filling us in with what Jim had to say. 7&kk wasn't as frequent a poster as some of the rest of us slackers, but when he chimed in, it was most always interesting and thought provoking. He was able to present his memories of St. Jude and the eastside vividly and with passion. He will most certainly be missed.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Van De Wyngearde (7_and_Kelly_Kid) 1952-2008
above photo circa 1962

(Message edited by kellyroad on September 16, 2008)

Diane12163

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kellyroad. What a sweet kind face he had.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, sorry the hymnal i was referring to had a green vinyl cover and kept together with that plastic spiral bind. the page for "holy, holy, holy" looked like it came from it. on the title page, i remember it mentioned "compiled by Fr. Tom Grady".

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His facial features sure didn't change much. He looks very much like a younger version of my helper on SJS clean-up Sunday. God Bless 'im!

Zitro

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting KR. It sure looks like he had a lot of badges.

Laing: I don't recall that hymnal the blue one is the only one I ever worked out of.

Jcole

Post Number: 3774
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the hymnal Laing is talking about is the one the church goers used. The choir had the nice hard cover ones with all the liturgical chants and whatnot.
Ours were green vinyl, and they were made up of the songs that were commonly sung along to. Also, for masses when the choir didn't sing.
I think they were put together about the time the 'church ladies' made new surplices for the choir and priests.

Jcole

Post Number: 3775
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, you probably don't remember because you were always 'upstairs' or on the altar, you know, above the rest of us paeons.

Zitro

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shows you how much I sat in the general congregation, I thought the blue hymnals were the ones everyone used

Zitro

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave, sounded like he was a very creative guy.

Jcole

Post Number: 3780
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I concur, 7.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will provide a contribution to St. Jude and have a Mass said for Dave at the first available open date.

Jcole

Post Number: 3783
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's sweet, cfg.

Zitro

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks CFG, you're top notch.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 451
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll let you all know when the Mass is scheduled and post a copy of the Mass schedule on the Facebook page. I think that would make Dave very happy to have Fr. Robert say a Mass in his memory.

Jcole

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure he would, CFG.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks CFG

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're all very welcome, but it's truly my pleasure. I hope we always have St. Jude to come home to, especially during times like this. I'll let you know when I have a date set up for his Mass.

12468_laing

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cfg, now that is truly the way sjs needs to stick together. i now have a picture of the front of the church as my desktop.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that idea, laing - since you didn't have your arm over your paper - I think I'm going to copy! :-)

12468_laing

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cfg, go for it. it is a spring time shot with the banners on either side of the three doorways. which anniversary was it? makes me remember the good old days. do they still hang the hotdogs up there? those were supposed to have some kind of pesticide or something on them.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice idea Laing!

And thanks for setting that up for 7&kk, Cfg.

Zitro

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, nice idea laing except I won't be able to comply until after Nov. 4th