Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Old Car Factories » Archive through May 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a terrific thread, and I only just noticed it. I love this stuff. The picture of the Packard Clipper crated for shipment overseas reminded me of a story my dad told me. Some time in the 70s an old lady in Colombia died (I'm forgetting who he said she was) and on her ranch in the coutnry outside of Bogota, in an old barn, was discovered an old shipping crate that had sat undisturbed for a long, long time. In that crate was a "new" Model T that had been shipped to Colombia in the 1920s and was never taken out of the crate. I think the car was auctioned or something.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6595
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just cames across this notice this am:

quote:

March 24, 2008

Historian donates collection to Ontario university

Windsor, Ontario – Automotive historian and author James C. Mays has donated his extensive collection of material on the Canadian auto industry to the University of Windsor. The collection includes sales brochures, original factory photos, taped interviews, production figures, books and other rare material, and is estimated to be worth about $85,000.

“I’m pleased my collection will be preserved for the use of future generations,” Mays said. “I never imagined I’d ever accumulate so much. It started with a Rambler brochure when I was twelve and grew from there.”

Mays, who lives in Windsor, is the author of eight books, including the history of Ford, Nash and AMC, and is a contributor to the Canadian newspaper Old Autos. For his work on AMC, he interviewed more than thirty employees, many of whom had taken home historical material that was slated to be destroyed in 1979 when Renault acquired the company; much of this material was given to him and is part of the donated collection.

The collection was physically transferred to the University of Windsor’s Leddy Library in 2007 after being appraised, while legal paperwork to transfer the ownership was completed early in 2008. Archivist Brian Owens said it is expected to take up to ten years to catalogue the collection, which will be available to the public for research. For more information, visit UWindsor.ca.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/ thenews/2008/03/24/historian-d onates-collection-to-ontario-u niversity.htm

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6214
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was learned at the Hamtramck Library Dodge presentation? jjaba missed it.

jjaba, Westsider.

Aiw

Post Number: 6618
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I got an email from someone today who asked this question:

quote:

My boss is restoring a 1931 Buick Coupe, Series 8-96.

He found the following info:

Fisher Body Corporation, Detroit, Michigan Correspondence Pertaining to me:

Job #31122, Body#156

Bottom Plate: Buick Motor Company 31-MOD, 8-96

We are trying to locate history on this vehicle as to date manufactured and where manufactured. Any info would be appreciated.

Do those numbers mean anything to anyone?

My speciality is more on the architecture side of things... :-)

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the website of The Buick Classic Car Club. The GM heritage collection in Warren might have some answers. The classic car clubs are very friendly. Send back a response if you can't find the info. Lots of luck!!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 866
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you may also wish to try the buick gallery at the sloan museum in flint. I'm not sure what info they may be able to provide, but perhaps they know something helpful.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to www.aaca.org and go to the forums on the right hand column, there is a big Buick forum there, and they would have lots of information.
Being a 90 series that's a pretty rare car, the big eight cylinder 90s were almost a Cadillac.

Mazak
Username: Mazak

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this forum and thread about the old car factories a few weeks back while searching on the Internet for information on the Wadsworth Manufacturing Co. I was totally blown away by the amount of information, maps, photos, etc.. On this thread. I collect and restore the old antique stationary farm engines & marine engines as a hobby been doing this sense about 1980. I have created a website that shows some of our engines if anyone would like to take a look. Now to the point, I started researching a engine company about 8 or 9 years ago called Detroit Engine Works. In my research I discovered that this company and others which I will list below were owned and operated by the Wadsworth Manufacturing Co. I am looking for any information, maps, photos, etc on these companies. Some of you may find the information on my website in the Detroit Engine Works history section interesting. The engine companies listed below were located in the old Chrysler building on Jefferson Ave. addresses are listed in the history section.

Wadsworth Manufacturing Co.
Detroit Engine Works
Michigan Steel Boat Co.
Detroit Boat Co.
Columbia Engine Company
United States Tire Co.

Other related companies

Detroit Motor Car Supply Co.
Standard Motor Parts Co.

History section also shows a old news paper photo of a fire at the Wadsworth Manf Co. factory in 1919. Which pretty much destroyed a lot of the factory and also damaged part of the Maxwell Chalmers factory.

http://www.antiquengines.com/D etroit_Engine_Works_Menu.htm

mazak@rocketmail.com

Thank you...

John Davis

(Message edited by mazak on April 24, 2008)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1921 Sanborn map for the Standard Motor Parts, 401-15 Catherine & Hastings St, just south of Gratiot. I think it was a parts warehouse.

Standard Motor Parts 1921

This is the only one that I had in my notes (so far), although I do recall seeing a few that you've mentioned somewhere along the line.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6002
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just where exactly was the plant that Pullman bought located? It must have been somewhat close to Gratiot downtown because the early railroad tracks went down Gratiot. I had seen some older street names for it a while back, but for some reason I could not locate on a map (or got lazy).

(Message edited by livernoisyard on April 24, 2008)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pullman was at Dequindre and Macomb. I posted the Sanborn someplace on this site; maybe the HOF thread or a car builders one. Don't remember, and too lazy to look, too.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6004
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it. Sort of...

Pullman: NE corner of Croghan and Dequindre. Croghan is now Monroe. Now, where would that intersection be?

(Message edited by livernoisyard on April 24, 2008)

Mazak

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies everyone, Hornwrecker post # 47 on the old car factories thread shows the Chalmers factory which according to a news paper clipping I have was next door to the Wadsworth factory. Was there only one Chalmers factory? One Wadsworth Factory? Post # 48 shows the Michigan Steel Boat Co. I just posted two old photos on my website under the Detroit history section they are believed to be the Wadsworth factory after it burned down August 02, 1919. I will try to see if I can get permission to post them on this forum.

Mazak

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the photos I was talking about of the Wadsworth Factory. There are three photos. The first photo is a comparison of the Detroit news paper clipping and the photo we think is the same building after the fire. The second and third photo are also after the fire. The photos are from the T.K.Sand website called (before my time) see URL address below for more details.

http://krentz.blogspot.com/

Hornwrecker, Here is the Address & info listed for Standard Motor Parts Co. in the 1918 City directory, E. J. Dayton, Pres. and Treas.; W. S. Grant, Sec. Mfrs. of Auto Parts. 584-590 Franklin. Maybe there was more then one factory?

Wadsworth Comparison Photo

Wadsworth after the fire?

Wadsworth after the fire?

(Message edited by mazak on April 27, 2008)

(Message edited by mazak on April 27, 2008)

Aiw

Post Number: 6624
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree that there are the same building.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the Pullman Palace Car Co. Shops, they occupied the block bounded by Macomb, Dequindre, Croghan (Monroe) and St. Aubin. The present day location is at the southeast corner of Pembridge Place and St. Aubin.

Here are excerpts from an 1884 street map and Sanborn map.

lower seat side

Pullman Palace Car Shops

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mazak, I looked at the Sanborn maps for that area, and it seems once again you've found a building that finds the black hole of missing information for some of the areas. There's maps from 1899 and 1922 for Section 4, but none of those show the Wadsworth factory, or the others

It appears that it was replaced by the gas works by 1922, west of the Detroit Stove works. Also nearby was Huppmobile's original plant at 1300-24 E Jefferson & Concord, from 1910-12, and the King factory from 1912-23(?).

Maybe someone has a Business guide from that era.
Another source if you have names to research is The Detroiters (1908):

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi /county/tuscola/det/

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on April 27, 2008)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked through two old phone books I have and found the following:

Columbia Engine Co 1275 E Jefferson
Detroit Boat Co 1250 E Jefferson
Detroit Engine Works 1250 E Jefferson
Detroit Motor Car Supply 1250 E Jefferson
Michigan Steel Boat 1250 E Jefferson
Standard Motor Parts 584-590 Franklin
United States Tire 245 E Jefferson
Wadsworth Mfg Co (auto bodies) 1256 E Jefferson
Wadsworth Mfg Co (factory) E Jefferson & Conners Creek

Columbia Motors Co 1256 E Jefferson
Detroit Boat Co Kercheval & Conners Creek
Detroit Engine Works Kercheval & Conners Creek
Detroit Motor Car Supply Kercheval & Conners Creek
Michigan Steel Boat Kercheval & Conners Creek
Michigan Steel Boat Dubois & Guoin
Standard Motor Parts 584 Franklin
United States Tire 245 E Jefferson
Wadsworth Mfg Co Kercheval & Conners Creek

1250/1256/1275 E Jefferson present day would be near Beaufait/Bellevue. 245 E Jefferson is between Randolph and Brush. 584-590 Franklin is between Dubois and Chene.

Sometime during the war they picked up and moved east from the older industrial belt along the Michigan Central to the developing industrial area along the newly built Detroit Terminal Railway. Wadsworth seemed to have established a factory at "E Jefferson & Conners Creek" as early as 1915 and then consolidated its operations there by 1918. The area was still rural so general addresses such as Jefferson or Kercheval at Conners Creek are probably referring to the same factory.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6040
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems odd that the Pullman Palace Car plant doesn't have rail access, according to the Sanborn. Maybe, that's why he left for Pullman, IL...

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That space between the buildings was a transfer table that exited out to Dequindre, not sure how it connected to the main. There were other reasons why Pullman left Detroit, probably political or other business dealings. I've read about it before, but can't recall it offhand.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6041
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tongue in cheek. I knew why Pullman really moved his plant out of Detroit.

He already lived in Chicago and was prominent there. He acquired companies (like the Detroit firm) primarily for their patents in the early years. Then he built a huge manufacturing facility in his own 6+ square-mile company town. Essentially another Gary Indiana.

Mazak

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to purchase a copy of a map or a section of a map around the 1900 to 1920 time period that would show most of the different locations of these factories that I have listed along Jefferson Ave, etc and the Detroit river? My email: mazak@rocketmail.com
Thanks for all the info everyone.

(Message edited by mazak on April 29, 2008)

(Message edited by mazak on April 29, 2008)

Mazak

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem thanks for the info. I have an original flyer from Detroit Engine Works that advertised a special sale of a lot of their engines and equipment due to selling the plant at 1256 East Jefferson to the United States Tire Co. There is no date on this sales flyer but I'm guessing this happened around the world war I time period or sometime after the Wadsworth fire of August 02,1919.

Mazak

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem,

Would it be possible that you could look in your phone books for the years 1915,1918 for the Chalmers factory Address?

56packman

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Chalmers plant absorbed into what became Chrysler's Jefferson ave. assembly plant?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3638
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mazak, Packman is correct. The addresses for both years is listed simply as Jefferson and New Belt Line R.R., although in 1918, it ws listed as a separate division under Maxwell Motors.

56packman

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalmers

the Chalmers plant,E.Jefferson

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok let me get this straight, Maxwell & Chalmers became part of Chrysler, which while i,m a west sider i think i remember that old plant, U.S. Tire that would become Uniroyal? wasn,t the last cars built there Dodge Omni/ Plymouth Horizons? well at the Jeff AVE Chrysler Plant.

Mazak

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, The reason ask for the address of the Chalmers factory on Jefferson was because I knew that the Wadsworth factory was next door to the Chalmers factory but I didn't know which side. Just trying to narrow the location. I also new that the Wadsworth factory on Jefferson eventually ended up as the Chrysler plant. Did the Chalmers factory also end up in Chrysler hands?

56packman, Do you know what year the Chalmers factory photo was taken?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have in my notes on Chalmers, they started in 1908, then built the Jefferson plant in 1910. They were there until 1922 when they became Maxwell-Chalmers in a merger. In 1924 it was bought out by Chrysler. The modern address for the plant is 12200 E Jefferson, the old system of addresses is around 2690-2760 E Jefferson (1910).

From 1908-10 Chalmers-Detroit were located on Oakland Avenue or part of the old Thomas-Detroit factory on Harper and Dequindre. Things are a bit unclear if any or all of this part is factual.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on May 22, 2008)