Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll think I'll take my picture this weekend, so it shows the gardening efforts of this past June. There's still current good days at SJ!
I don't know about any "bug catching-hot dogs"...
I learn something new every day!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as i remember the hot dogs, they were for the birds, or actually for the end of the birds. look up from the outside of the doors - that is where they were. looking for pictures with flowers - had a couple of people come in my office after i had the pic up and ask about it. told them it was the first church in detroit with wall to wall carpeting and air conditioning. they couldn't believe it. ya know, they don't make churches like ours anymore!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd forgotten what a big deal the carpeting & AC were. When the church was built about the only buildings with AC were movie theatres & some stores. No one (st least in SJ parish) had it in their homes.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We never had it when I was growing up. We used those huge fans that had a reverse setting for exhausting the heat out of the house.
I still don't have central air. We have window units in three bedrooms, so when it's unbearable, that's where I live. Not complaining. It's just not worth installing in the type of house I have.

12468_laing

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got that right eastburn. i still can remember sleeping in the basement in the summer to be cool.

Eastburn

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or in the back yard.

Some folks would go to Belle Isle to sleep on the real scorchers.

My Aunt & Uncle had a screened back porch. I really envied them.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I remember the coolness of the basement on a hot summer's day. Our studio couch in the rec room was a great place to take a little snooze after a game of baseball on the scorching hot black top.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandma and Grandpa on my dad's side had a nifty house. It was on Philip near Alter Road. It had a front enclosed porch, a big living and dining room and the main kitchen. Then in the back, there was another enclosed porch with stairs that went to a one bedroom apartment complete with kitchen. Then back in the house in the basement was another kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. It was total fun to play house in the basement with my cousins. At our house we had an outside porch with a glider. I loved that glider. Then my folks bedroom had the backdoor which led to a porch and in the backyard there was a big brick bbq dad built which we grilled on all summer. My fave thing was to put a sheet and pillow on the sofa in the living room, open the windows and front door and pop on the box fan. Then I'd put golf on with those soft spoken voices calling the plays and nap out on a Saturday afternoon.Bliss.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There's a hush on the green as Arnie putts for birdie".

We had an old metal bbq on wheels, but it came with a spit and motor. My job was to slop the sauce on the chicken. Sometimes we would add hickory chips to the coals for flavor. Another neat job was to use tongs to plop the coals into a pail of water to save them for the next time. What an awesome sound that was!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sleeping on the basement floor - THAT I remember well - just window fans for us too. Laing - I love the way you refer to SJ as "ours" - it sure is!
On a totally different note, for those not fortunate enough to be a part of Milkey's Party Time....here's a button for you.

Milkey

Jcole

Post Number: 3798
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR or CFG, I got a question on the Eastwood thread re: the highest enrollment at SJS. I guestimated at 1600 based on 50 kids per classroom. Do either of you have any more concrete idea?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, J - I'm inclined to go with your guesstimate - at times we had a bit over 50 per class, and years a bit under -so 1600 would be my guess.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pin cfg, didn't he just die recently?

Jcole

Post Number: 3799
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, he died on Halloween 1994. His name was Clare Cummings

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I thought he died a couple of years ago. I dont' know why I'm saving the pin, ran across it while going through some old treasures.

Zitro

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I was thinking of Bozo, not ES or GB but the pretend one.

Jcole

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a second Milky who took over in 64. His name was Karrell Fox, and he died in 1998.

Zitro

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG do you remember where you got that pin? I recall going someplace not too far from our neighborhood and he did a show once. It wasn't his televised show, and got to go up on stage. I think he pulled something something out of my .....ear.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the late 50s and early 60s there were 60 plus kids in the lower grades (my 2nd grade classroom had 61...6 rows of 10 plus an extra) There were 4 classrooms per grade. As I recall there were 4 classrooms for every grade throughout the 60s. Classes were held in every nook and cranny in the parish, including portables, the gym (even the stage in the gym), and the choir room in the basement of the church. The upper classes did not have as many kids, It seems more like the upper 40s or 50s students in the upper grades during the mid to late 60s. I do recall that there at least 1600 kids ( I seem to recall even high as 1700 stated..maybe Eastburn can chime in here). I do know that St. Jude was the largest school in the Arch Diocese of Detroit.

Jcole

Post Number: 3801
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of treasures, I had my Zoo key up until a few years ago when I gave it to one of my daughters who was going to the zoo to use in case they still had the Talking Boxes. It was a red plastic Elephant whose trunk was the key.
Anyone else have one?

Zitro

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I remember the Zoo Key. Of all the things I've kept over the years that's not one of them though.

12468_laing

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, i still have my key, and won't ever give it up. still has the blue tag on it, too. that was like a badge of honor. as to class size, i graduated in 1971. i remember my 4th grade class, i believe had 33 boys and 18 girls. that was on the larger side, but seems most grades had 4 rooms with at least 35 kids, so that would make 140 per grade or a total of 1120.

Zitro

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics laing, PICS! You keep promising. Please make some time to document your treasures for us.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bunch of us kids went with our older cousins to the "Milky Party Time Show" - probably filmed downtown. We had brown bags filled with the cardboard stoppers from the glass milk jars and we could "bet" on prizes. We just sat on the bleachers and let the big kids do the rest. I don't know how that all was arranged, but he was a scary clown! I remember doing the kneel on the chair and drop clothespins into the glass milk bottle. I think I won one of those paddle ball things.

Eastburn

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember having 63 kids in a class. don't know if I ever heard of total school enrollment. According to my class picture there were 155 kids graduating in '58. We had 3 classrooms.

I still have the elephant zoo key. Found it in my 1st wife's jewelry box after her death. I think she got it taking our kids to the zoo, not from her childhood. Don't remember them from mine. Going all the way to the zoo in Royal Oak was a rare occurence for us.

Jcole

Post Number: 3802
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I was in the ball park then for school enrollment.
He also asked me if there were boundaries for enrollment. I told him at that time, you had to be a parishioner to attend school. Was I correct?

Zitro

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the boundaries for the school were no Commies, must be why ES & GB had to go the public school route.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi J- Again, I believe you win the prize - My guess is that you HAD to be a parishioner. They probably made some rare exceptions when the borders were close - or a parent didn't like their own parish school for some reason. I don't remember anyone in any of our classes not being a member of St. Jude.

12468_laing

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't remember anyone not being a parishoner either. and i know that somewhere along the way they let in non-catholics. not while i was there, but wonder if they actually did and when.

Jcole

Post Number: 3806
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think once it became Eastside Catholic, they took anyone. I also think that once parish enrollment declined and other area Catholic schools closed, they dissolved the boundaries and allowed other parishes.