Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the reverse happened? If there were kids in our boundaries that went to other schools. What was the northern boundary street?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, once it became East Catholic, you didn't even have to be Catholic to register and attend. It was a school to provide a quality education, and the children did attend Mass on Friday mornings, but instead of communion, they'd come up and Father would give them each a blessing.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The northern boundary was EASTBURN. Not only did a family have to be a member of the parish for kids to attend SJS, families had no choice in their parish. If you were within a parish's geographic boundary - that's where you belonged.

I can't remember anyone who lived on Eastburn going to St. Veronica or anyone from Bringard going to SJS. Of course, just because I can't remember it it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I guess there could have been exceptions.

That also means I walked farther to school than any of you, uphill both ways, in the snow, fighting my way through the ruffians at Burbank.

Zitro

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Ward that's quite a tale. Better to have fought your way through the ruffians at Burbank than the Pervs on Eastwood.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they still use the building for anything? I think it would be a great community center with education provided and a place for families, children and the elderly to find things to do and perhaps even have a kitchen to provide meals and outreach like a meals on wheels programme. They could use the gym for entertainment like locally produced repetory theatre and dances for all ages, teens and seniors and even offer ballroom lessons. They could hold rummage sales, bake sales, nmagazine drives, etc. to raise funds for their outreaches and also get contributions from people and organisations. It would be a pity not to put that building to use in a positive way for the community and it helps keep kids busy and cared for and out of trouble. They could also show movies, have lectures on travel and even have a travel group or groups made up of kids and teens, adults and seniors that go places within Michigan for day trips or even into Ohio, Indiana, Illinois or Canada. What a great homage it would be to SJS to still have a thriving place that brings people together.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z- you're wracking up the keyboards you owe me!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were no pervs on Eastwood, only west of Hayes on Mapleridge and west of Hayes on Fordham. Thankfully, ES moved off of Eastwood before he was of age to formally be labeled a perv. Just because those people hijacked the Eastwood thread from 7&kk, KR, and many other interesting contributors for use in their daily circle jerk, doesn't make them Eastwoodians.

I know if a kid got expelled from St. Jude, they then went to Columbus or Burbank...never the other way around from what I can remember. Was that the question?

Also from my recollection, the high number for enrollment was 1800, plus or minus.

And don't get me started on those slinkin' zoo keys! These were purchased with the understanding they would be good for a lifetime, not the lifespan of a fruit fly! ...makes me so mad.

Zitro

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry 7, I didn't mean to lump you all in please forgive me.

No, the question I was asking if anyone say in the St. Jude boundaries went to another Catholic school. For example like EB was saying Eastburn just might have been closer geographically to St. Veronica than St. Jude. That was my question.

Zitro

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!! CFG venturing into unchartered waters. I impressed that took a lot of courage. You may need to take a shower now

7andkelly

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see, Z. I guess I was so flabbergasted at the possibility of being lumped in with those losers, and then the Elephant Key thing rose it's ugly head again...

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a SJ friend who lived on Landsdowne. If I recall correctly if you live on nearby streets of Wayburn, Lakepoint, Roositer etc...you had to go to St. Brenden.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, aren't you the guru of parish boundaries & the "sections"? My guess is that Rossiter may have been the southeastern boundary. I say that only because I remember having classmates who lived on Rossiter & street west but none east of there.

BTW, do parishes even have boundaries anymore? Up here, no one asks. Every church is happy to have you.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring us your poor, your tired, your disenfranchised.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Rossiter or Wayburn may have been the very eastern street. Back in the day, given the number of kids, boundaries were strictly enforced. I don't think that boundaries are enforced anymore. Some catholic schools however do require parish membership for parish tuition rates. Given the dwindling number of parishioners and priests all of that of course becoming more of a moot point.

(Message edited by kellyroad on September 17, 2008)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: 13 years on EASTWOOD is not enough -???? Once again your narrow minded outlook has surfaced ..... Did you actually Live on EASTWOOD?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who invited that kid?" - Mr. Potato Head from the Toy Story Movie

BTW, your credentials are unsatisfactory, E..S..t.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Z - I had to take a peak into the kitty litter box to see what all the fuss was about. Needless to say, I won't be a frequent visitor - and a shower was definitely in order. eeeewwwww

Zitro

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you kids leave the damn door open again! Time to call the Orkin man

Zitro

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to let everyone know, that it looks like the Munchos pipeline is getting filled back up here slowly but surely. Everyone can take a deep breath now. Thanks to all for your concern and understanding during these tough times.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Praise God!

Zitro

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been that bumper crop of corn 7.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, I knew if people in the neighbouring states united in doubling up on their lawn watering your flood waters would recede.

Zitro

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of states?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops...the DY spell checker didn't catch it either.

I guess that's so Canadians like Diane can feel free to participate in our discussion, eh?

Zitro

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You Hoser

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MacKenzie brothers return....

Glad you're good on the Munchos....I for one, was worried about your withdrawals!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3816
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh?

Zitro

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in dire straights CFG, now all I need to do is get rid of those pesky gnats and things will be kool.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could tell...you sound much calmer now. Not much we can do about your gnat problem, but we can send some Kool Aid! Maybe even have a made for TV Special Kool Aid for Ames - and people would send us money, and Willie Nelson would sing...he loves that corn country!

Zitro

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If GoBlow comes to Ames, I'll have some extra special Kool-Aid for him and his flunky