Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » "Dom Polski: Dance Hall Days of Detroit's Polonia" » Archive through September 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone ever go to Shields Bar at Shields and Davison? Before they served pizza they did the Friday Fish Fry. They were quite tasty and not as crowded as The Old Mill. I wonder if that would be considered as Hamtramck Heights.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bradyborn, both buildings are still there, at least on the Google street level mapping. I can't copy a picture from that application, but using the address 5342 Chene will bring you there.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if this will work but if it does then click on this link and you will see 5342 Chene, Detroit, MI. you will see the building where the Round Bar used to be that is now called D'ELEGANCE LOUNGE. so, it is still there!

0%2C-30.429009289780492%26outp ut%3Dembed%26s%3DAARTsJpP37Uo2 r6TnptD6AG7QVJpDUdEFQ&hl=en&gl =us&panoid=5HoBbs6M72inWPVg6XY Uhg,http://maps.google.com/map s/svpw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.goo gle.com%2Fmaps%3Ff%3Dq%26hl%3D en%26geocode%3D%26q%3D5342%2Bc hene,%2Bdetroit,%2Bmi%26sll%3D 42.378678,-83.042479%26sspn%3D 0.011539,0.038624%26layer%3Dc% 26ie%3DUTF8%26ll%3D42.379407,- 83.048058%26spn%3D0.01154,0.03 8624%26z%3D14%26cbll%3D42.3683 23,-83.042516%26panoid%3D5HoBb s6M72inWPVg6XYUhg%26cbp%3D1,25 0.08602820582826,,0,-30.429009 289780492%26output%3Dembed%26s %3DAARTsJpP37Uo2r6TnptD6AG7QVJ pDUdEFQ&hl=en&gl=us&panoid=5Ho Bbs6M72inWPVg6XYUhg

Townonenorth

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mortalman, that works fine.

Mortalman

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How in the hell is it that there cameras all over the U.S. that can take ground level pictures of just about any location? I'd just like to know and I know there are people on this site that have answers to all of life's nagging questions! :-)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google drove and photographed every street in Detroit a while back. Quite a few cities like that around, I think San Fransisco was the first. I'm unclear as to how they did the bird's eye view on Microsoft Live.

I really like the Google appplication, gives a really great perspective.

Bradyborn
Username: Bradyborn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for info about Round Bar, good memories of it, and Zosia's. Maybe I can find more of what I am looking for at the Burton, in city directories, etc. Some establishments just have no written history, or if so, it is hard to find. I know the buildings are still there on Chene. This recent photo shows what I think was once the King Theater, and the Round Bar next to it. Same sign, different name. I am working on a website of my photos, it is taking some time. I am writing history as I can find it, and personal memories with the photos. I took over 500 photos of Poletown neighborhood prior to it's demolition for GM in 1981, and 7 years later many more south of I-94. I will post a few
in upcoming days. Anything in particular you are interested in? I am reluctant to put too many out there before my site is ready, next spring, hope. Thank you for responding. Best regards.
King Theater (?) and Round Bar

Mortalman

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us know when your website gets up. Do you know what it will be called, yet?

I am personally interested in photos of St. Stanislaus and Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Churches, Bradyborn.

I'm glad you said it because I've got to get my website linked to some of these other Detroit websites, too.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bradyborn, I'll be looking forward to your website.

St. Stanislaus ? Somewhere I have photos of the interior shots before the church was sold. I'll have to really take a good look for them.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the Old Mill. What a great place. I was bummed when they closed, because you can't get food like that out in Canton where I grew up.

Luckily, I graduated high school before they closed, and we had two huge jugs of their slaw for my high school graduation party in the backyard. I was happy to give the kids out in the sticks a taste of some real restaurant food.

That said, I took my wife to the Ivanhoe last year. Love that place too, and the perch sandwich and onion rings were delicious.

Mortalman

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth, I would be grateful to see any photos you have of the inside of St. Stanislaus before it closed. Thanks.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I find them, I'll let you know. My father may have given them away before he died. I do have some shots of the altar, as it was in 1950. Black and white.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember hearing something about Round Bar being owned by someone in my family. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

I was one of the Polish babes hanging out on the dance floor at White Star, Club Polski and Swinging City, Lili's, Paychecks and Cicoci Pat's late 70's early 80's. When we weren't dancing we were playing softball for Six Bar, Congor Bar, Head Coach, and Happy Sam's or watching our boyfriends play softball in the Lutomski League at Jayne Field.

Great times

Mortalman

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth, I'm real excited and jazzed about the prospects of seeing some old B&W photos from the 1950's because that's from my era there! Did your dad go to St. Stanny's?

Hey Paczki did you live in Hamtown?

Paczki

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived in Detroit, went to Lad's

Bradyborn

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful photos of St. Stanislaus Townonenorth. It is wonderful that there is always someone around with a camera to preserve these places and moments. I also have a good number of interiors of St.Stanny's,not long before it closed. Some from the balcony. One in the basement, all done up for a wedding reception, but empty of people. Here is one of Immaculate on the day the demolition began I think, July 14, 1981. Didn't take long to bring it all down and clear the land. I will post a few interiors
from St. Stanny's, have to get them from another computer. Not sure about the name of my website. Maybe just my name and the word photography, since I am a photographer. Guess we don't use names on this site, all done by username.
Immaculate Conception Poletown 1981

Townonenorth

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

dance floor at White Star, Club Polski and Swinging City, Lili's, Paychecks and Cicoci Pat's late 70's early 80's

Cicoci Pat's huh? That bar still there?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking forward to the pics Bradyborn. Maybe a new thread is in order, really doesn't fit the thread, but then again, it's all Poletown so guys, what's your opinion?

Paczki

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No idea about Cioci Pats. I'd guess the building is still there. I recently drove down Caniff on my way to Polish Village but didnt notice.

Round Bar was owned by my Aunt's brother in law. His name was Leo or Leon Kulesza. He was found dead in the bar but my Mom doesn't remember the cause of death.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, you are right. I do remember that happening then. I seem to recall he was robbed, but not in conjunction with his death. Something like he was found behind the bar. A long time ago.

Mortalman

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth and Bradyborn, great B7W shots of St. Stanny's and IC. Townonenorth, you said you and your parents all graduated from St. Stanny's what years did you all graduate? Keep the photos coming they are great!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not graduates at all, just went to the church.

Mortalman

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I misread your post. I thought you went to St. Stanny's parochial school.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle owned Chester's Cafe on Moran and Farnsworth. My cousins and I went to all the shows on Chene St. Perrien, King, Home and the Iris and Your theaters as well. Fond memories of those wonderful years and taking penny candy to the show with us. In fact one of my cousins still lives on Kirby, a couple of blocks off Chene.
I do agree that the PYC doesn't serve the perch dinners like the original owners who lived quite a long time.
Looking forward to any pictures that any of you might have.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bradyborn, if you are putting together a website of all your pictures, you should give a thought as to how your copyright is enforced. The fellow that does the sky photos of the demo of Tiger Stadium has a nice webpage that does just that. Here's a link:

http://www.aerialpics.com/G/Ti gerStadiumDemo.html

Paczki

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticub,

I lived at Kirby and Moran. Went to the bar often with my Dad and was served before I was old enough. I dont remember the bartender but he said if it was ok with my Dad for me to have a drink it was good enough for him.

Ticub

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paczki,

Remember the Petty girls on the wall?
You were probably served by my Uncle Hank or Uncle Chester. The family lived above the bar. I have videos of New Year's Eve celebrations at the place. I saw my first TV broadcast in the bar when Super Circus was on.

Bradyborn

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticub, can you tell me anything about the King Theater? Also here is photo of St.Stanislaus from the balcony,organist is playing during a wedding, probably one of the last St.Stanislaus hosted. Thanks for link to stadium demo photo. I will look in to disabling right click.
organist, St. Stanislaus

Ticub

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bradyborn,
All I can tell you about the King theater is that my cousins and I went there a lot in the late 40's, early 50's. We paid about 9 cents to get in and saw 2 features, a cartoon, coming attractions and perhaps a short, such as the 3 Stooges.
I believe the building later became a church.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recall the "Jak Tam" on Grady and Farnsworth? Bartenders were Butch and Minnow. 25cent, ice cold, Altes boombas. 1960's