Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing I don't even want to tell you what a Maris sig is worth.

I got Cash's sig (which I since lost!) at the Lindell AC after the famous "grooved" pitch game. McClain won his 31st. He grooved a pitch to Mantle which put him ahead of Jimmie Foxx on the all time HR list his last ab at Tiger Stadium. Cash hit 2 Hr to leftfield that day. I never saw him hit another HR to left.

I got Eddie Matthews sig that same day at the Lindell, he finished his career with the Tigers in 68 but didn't qualify for the Series

(Message edited by zitro on September 21, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be great to see the Red Wings repeat. By March a lot of other teams seasons will be in the tank.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the yankies, I respect the value of their memorabilia, but I just cantstanzem! Same goes for all other American League teams other than the Tigers. Don't like National League's either, except sometimes I root for the Cubs...not sure why. If they ever win it, that moves the Lions closer to the top of the list of the worst. Too bad both socks teams had to win, although at least with the red ones we got the Fever Pitch movie starring Drew Barrymore.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of tanks...well being this is a Church thread I won't say what I really think of the San Jose Sharts...except they sure tanked last year...and all the drinks there are served in cans since THEY HAVE NO CUPS.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3852
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, thank you for pointing out that I was correct and for redeeming my faux pas re: the Wings and Sharks earlier today.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7's got your back J!

Jcole

Post Number: 3853
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. I feel safer already

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Are you headed to the TANK too?.....10/31 is the first of two games in SJ....7 will be standing behind you when we enter HP Pavilion ... Tickets are on me .... I can't remember if Z or 7 are not willing to sit with me...maybe both... after the game we all can go down to meet the Sharks after the game before they head out of the Tank and are greeted by their adoring fans..... The Eastside olive branch is once again extended to my SJS friends...... Oh! 7 bring your '68 Tigers plastic cup and I will fill it for you JC you will feel totally safe in the HP neighborhood...it is not like going to the JOE and running for your life to get into the building...

EASTSIDE 61- Once again showing 'Love" to my SJS brothers and sisters.....

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family has Tigers connections. My brother in law, Dave's cousins, the Sklarski's married Kirk Gibson and Dave Rosema and Kirk lived just behind my birth daughter, Allison's house in GP. I went to the wedding with my mom. Nice wedding. Also when my second cousin got married, she had a period wedding which was the 20's. Got a Marcel(my dad's name)wave in my hair. Also got to meet half the Red Wings and Dave Gretzky. My cousin Eddie knew them and invited them to the wedding.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two coincidental Diane.

We visited with Marcel Dionne's wife this summer, and my BIL is an usher at COPA.

BTW, which half?

Zitro

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too weird. I saw Marcel Marceau once and I just watched a Lucy episode where Ricky sang at the Copa.

Jcole

Post Number: 3860
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Z, that's spooky

Zitro

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me about it.

This is the box score to the "Grooved Pitch" game. Take note of the attendance, 9063, if you polled Detroiters alive then you'd find about 100,000 people were at this game.

http://baseball-almanac.com/bo x-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=19 6809190DET

7andkelly

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is weird, J...three people, four different Marcel references (Marcel is not that common a name here in the States...at least not in our parts), two Copa stories, and three Tiger encounters.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with J -
This IS SPOOKY!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have doubles of Stanley and Marshall, but I'm missing Mathews and Comer and Price.

Remember the game cards from that set? Played that game a thousand times.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's Dave Gretsky? Did you mean Wayne?

Zitro

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt Matthews was on a card in a Tigers uni. He was acquired after Sept 1st, that's why he wasn't eligible for the WS

7andkelly

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a relief. I do also have McMahon, but in a White Sux uniform.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mathews did have a card for 68 - i am looking at it now. it has him listed as playing 3b and 1b. also, leading up to the world series, the detroit news had full page pictures of all the players. i kept them all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, till mom was cleaning up the basement and thought it was just a pile of old newspapers. i could have died.

Zitro

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right laing he was traded for in 67 for Fred Gladding The Bear. I don't recall now why he wasn't on the roster for the WS. I still have those posters. I'll get them posted on FB since it appears your camera is not working properly

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Marcel Fever here at the SJS circle! My sister Joanne's middle name is Marcella. I don't recall which half. Maybe it was the top half. LOL My bad on Gretzky. Yep--it is Wayne and not Dave. I s'pose I gotta stay after school now. My dad's middle name was Cornelius. I'm sure not to get any coincidental incidences from that one.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all right z. to be honest, been through the attic at the ponderosa here. i know i have a binder with all my report cards, and yes, an entire pack of control paper. for the life of me, i can't find the dang binder. even has my report cards from carlton - kindergarden. has my "he can be admitted to grade school" notice. believe me, i'm trying to find it. also had my grades from wayne state in it too. maybe, that is a blessing. had the entire mass program for fr ording's funeral mass, and an anniv booklet for the church for what year, i can't remember, but i'm trying to find it. have my grad ribbon, and my class of 71 picture somewhere. by the way, i was confimed in 5th grade, and i did find the little "cheat sheet" of the confirmation ceremony for back then - had to be 67-68.

Jcole

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, did you get promoted to 1st grade halfway through the year at Burbank?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Marcel Marceau at the Music Theater in Detroit about 1980. The acoustics were terrible.

Jcole

Post Number: 3862
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How were the viewcoustics?

Zitro

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS; I don't think so, I think I was behind the curve in finger painting.

Jcole

Post Number: 3864
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I must have been good at naps or graham crackers because they moved me to 1st in January. Or maybe it was just that Miss Boyce didn't like me. I don't know

Zitro

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing I want to stay on you about the pics, because it sounds like you have some worthwhile things from the parish and neighborhood. If you need any technical assistance with loading them don't be afraid to ask. JC is our tech wizard extraordinaire, and rest of us get by.

Zitro

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Diane my favorite all time baseball players name was Stuffy Mcinnis, he played for the Philadelphia Athletics in the early teens & twenties. His manager was Cornelius McGillicuddy aka Connie Mack