Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the other teacher Mrs Sullivan? That's who I think I had

Zitro

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I watched the movie 'Hello Dolly' and the name of the guy she was trying to trap was Cornelius Van de Gelder.

Jcole

Post Number: 3866
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZZ, I think it was Mrs. Sullivan. Didn't we switch teachers for piano playing time or something?
I moved up to 1st with Miss Sauer in Jan. and she fit her name to a tee.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and let's not forget Yukon from the Rankin Bass' animation.

Zitro

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousins name is Dolly and I just talked to her the other day to say hi. Too Weird

Jcole

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was seven, a dolly rolled over my hand and tore my fingernail right off!!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been a real big dolly. Was it a jumbo Betsy Wetsy?

I had Miss Boys (I thought) for kindergarten at Burbank. Same gal?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed all that pre-St. Jude fun and went to Robinson for K-1! (I know off Chalmers - close to the bad side of town)

Jcole

Post Number: 3870
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, same gal. And, no, I didn't have a Chucky doll who ran over my had repeatedly to cause me injury. My neighbors had a moving dolly, and their son was giving me a ride when I dropped my flower, and tried to pick it up. I ran screaming and bleeding for a block, to the neighbor's house where my mom was having coffee, and she came out the door and said 'This better be good'

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL - J - you're cracking me up - I can hear my Mom saying the same thing!

Jcole

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cop-on-the-block who was working afternoons drove us to the Dr. while I screamed all the way and bled all over his upholstery. (All the other cops were working days that month) I had a huge bandage, almost like a cast on my whole finger for about a month. Unfortunately, it was the middle finger of my left hand. Fortunately, or not, depending on point of view, it was summer.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had some Dolly Madison cakes the other day. Good thing I didn't put a bet down on no one having Cornelius in common. My mom's middle name is Veronica.

Actually my dad was born in Belgium and when he got babtised there it was common for all the boys to get the middle name of Cornelius(after king Cornelius) and the girls to get Cornelia(after queen Cornelia). This was back in 1918. They came over two or so years later on the boat.

laing---I can honestly say that those things you are trying to find will be in the last place you look.

Zitro

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laing, maybe Hop Sing can help you find your stuff

Diane12163

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here either go to or know someone who went to Progressive School For Little Folks kindergarten on Whittier? I would hate to think I was the only poor kid that got sent to such a goofily named school.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was your teacher's name Miss White?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did any of you all ride your bike to St. Jude's? I seem to remember a bike rack on the Madellin side, and just a smattering of bikes parked there.

And was the bike rack near the Maddelin entrance, or the east north entrance?

EB, was there another bike rack there in your day to fit those extra large front wheels?:-)

Eastburn

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall the bike rack being on the Maddelin side. I rode to work almost every day because I lived 11-12 short blocks away. A short block being Maddelin - 7 Mile vs. a long block i.e. Rex - Redmond.

Yes, my Hopalong Cassidy bike had big, fat tires. I stripped all the Hopalong stuff off by the time I was 8.

(Message edited by Eastburn on September 24, 2008)

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too close to sjs for a bike but did ride a bike for only one week to ND..found out quick that was not cool..... learned that walking, a DSR student card and eventually the fine art of hitch hiking was much more acceptable

Jcole

Post Number: 3875
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the bike rack at the Maddelein entrance. On weekends and in summer, we would climb on it or sit on it, depending on what age we had attained. We'd also climb up on the pillars that were part of the entrance way and sit there and talk and stuff. Thinking back, I don't remember seeing any nuns in summer while we hung out by the school. Did they go back to Adrian for a summer break?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting observation, J...me neither. If they were still residing in the convent during the summer, I'm sure they would have dealt with the rock fights and other tomfoolery going on at the blacktop right across the street.

Zitro

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have updated the guestbook for Dave and corrected the spelling of his last name.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone ever see the nuns at Mass besides the school Masses? The priests would say Mass in the convent chapel. I don't recall chapel Mass on Sunday. Did the nuns go to a early Mass? Was there chapel mass in the summer? Inquiring minds want to know. I guess a review of a previous St. Jude Calendar summer edition is in order.

Eastburn

Post Number: 471
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Z. Pretty sad that the only notes on there are from us.

Zitro

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too surprising given the fact it was only in there for one day, there was only a couple of lines and then they misspelled his name. What a great tribute.

Diane12163

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly---it could have been. Sounds familiar. We used to take naps on cots there and if you were especially good you got the best cot and the nicest blue blanket. It was super soft.

Jcole

Post Number: 3877
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get the feeling was glad to just have it done with and put him away.
I told my kids that if that can't think of anything more to put than my name, don't bother. It's more depressing than not having a death notice at all. I'd rather have something deliberately insulting than what they gave Dave.
Like 'She was a real pain in the ass in life. I hope she does better where ever it is that she ends up. We'll miss the free babysitting, but, really, not much else."

Zitro

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Nice to see you're still alive and kickin'.

I have no idea where the nuns went during the summer, I know I was already way tuned out a week or two before school was out for the summer, so it was the last thing on my mind what they were going to be doing. Maybe if we could track down Sr. Joyce (Hug) she could answer all of these questions. I'm sure there an old nun or two still around in Adrian who might be able to answer too.

I don't recall ever riding a bike to school, we were right on the edge of being far enough to justify it, and riding to ND? forget it, you'd have never heard the end of it.

Eastburn

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I'm laying in my coffin & y'all are there looking (fondly) down at me, I want one of you to say "Hey! He just moved."

Jcole

Post Number: 3879
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did ya hear? Huh, did ya? Ding dong, the Millen's gone.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c om/2008/football/nfl/09/22/tra cker/index.html