Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through September 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, we breezed through your town over the weekend on our way back from eating some very delicious Bucilli's Pizza, but I didn't see you in any of your regular haunts.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almada?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3925
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I was in my 'office' aka back bedroom, working on a PC most of Sat and Sun. They had the Harvest fest in town over the weekend, but as that largely entails hanging out in 50° weather in a beer tent, I didn't go.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build one yourself, or refurb? Either way, sounds like fun.

Beer in a tent. What a great idea! If you get too schnockered, the cots are right there so you can sleep it off.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I thought, but the signs now say Almont.

Hey, I got it right. I should get a prize.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing and 7: You are correct. Fr. Ording's confessional was near the sacristy. The one next to it had the sign "VISITOR". There was a total of 18 confessional rooms....12 on the Blessed Mother side and 6 near the sacristy. I believe the confessional nearest the Blessed Mary statue (the most north/west) was the one converted to a face to face confessional.. Is that right?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, KR - you are correct - the one nearest the Blessed Mother statue is a face to face. It now houses the candles for the altars as well as the cleaning supplies for the altar society. Surprisingly, folks must be getting more "sin-free" as there's only one confessional now - and no waiting.

Zitro

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they have a drive thru

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

question as to rooms in the church. what is in the old choir practice room in the basement church. remember being in there a few times. also remember those rooms seemed like a maze.

Zitro

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Almada was derivative of where EB kept saying he was going through and could never figure out why he never saw JC.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Z, say your sins at window #1 and penance at window #2. If you're light on the sins (12 sins or less) you can go to the express line where both can be done in one minute or less at window #1...Don't run into the holy water font available just outside the express window. If these comments are sacrilegious, I better go to confession.

Zitro

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have drive up wedding chapels in Vegas right? I think this would work.

Zitro

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is long hallway in between the choir room and the what used to be the lower church sacristy. I used to have this thing about wanting to throw a super ball down that hallway and watch it bounce at all of the different angles. I probably would have tried it except I didn't want to break the lights.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about an online private chatroom confession, or confession by email?

Zitro

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Do you think you could do this the next time you're there? Throw a supper ball down that hallway and let me know if it's as cool as I thought it would be? Film it if possible

Thanks you're the best

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" thought Almada was derivative of where EB kept saying he was going through and could never figure out why he never saw JC"

You're right, that's what it was. I live in Almont, Armada is to the left and south.

Zitro

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do I win??? I have to stay ahead of 7 with the prizes

7andkelly

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I got that one right, Z.

So I'm up 2 to 1 today so far.

Zitro

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a ruling

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: You're up 2 to 1 for what contest? What time period? Are you counting a two part quiz as 2 points? You know, you're not Al Gore..You didn't invent the internet.

I like the idea of on line confession...It would save a lot of energy costs....I wonder if they could replace the light bulbs that illuminated the priest's stenciled names and the "occupied" signal lights with the newer energy savings bulbs.
BTW, Does anyone remember intruding on a penitent or have an unknowing penitent intrude on you simply because the kneeler light bulb outside the confessional was burned out. It always made for good comedy while waiting in those long lines.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I get 1 prize for correctly answering quiz question #2, and another prize for correctly remembering the city name, "Almont". Z gets one prize for correctly answering quiz question #1.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, they did one better than that. The bulbs were removed entirely. Not only that, but in addition to the face-to-face confessional you mentioned on the west side, there is another larger face-to-face confessional on the east side where the baptismal font used to be.

I'm pretty sure I deserve a third prize for pointing that out.

Zitro

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Almada response was intended to be humorous for past oversights by our beloved EB. So, in the context in which it was intended I win this point, it was not erroneous. 2-1 my favor.

EB would tell JC he just went through her town of Armada and didn't see here and she explained that's because she lived in Almont, thus the Almada reference

(Message edited by zitro on September 30, 2008)

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fun we had in the confessional had me and a couple of others kneel, stand, kneel, stand, etc. and by the time the nun would open the door wondering what was going on, we would be kneeling again and ask her if something was wrong. small things for small minds.

Zitro

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't get many chances to get under the nuns skin without getting expelled so those kinds of things were huge victories

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wanted to see the light go on when I knelt on the confessional kneeler. I guess that will never happen.

Looks like another photo puzzle is in order to decide who wins. That's if other contestants don't win first, of course.

Zitro

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kind of like the light in the refrigerator

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How about an online private chatroom confession, or confession by email?"

Didn't I make that offer several months ago?

JC, I see you're 1st in line.

Fr. EB

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's cold.

Zitro

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your right EB you were first to mention it. You win!