Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I was thinking about you all the way during the post. I do recall 7 however reminding you and Laing about being ordained before hearing confessions. I do like the idea. Maybe the church should look into sanctioning it. The real heavy duty sinners should make sure they always carry a laptop, blackberry, or a cell phone with text messaging.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, EB, what are you trying to say here? I'm a good girl, I am.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy must have been a Red Wing fan.

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. — A Florida Keys swimmer punched a shark after the animal bit his dog — saving the pooch's life.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...along with wireless N capability, or better yet 1000bt direct connect.

This will help, but J is the expert when it comes to maximizing one's internet connection speed.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - I would be honored to test the superball theory! IN fact, after the past couple of work weeks I've had - I'd LOVE to test the number of times I could get that superball to hit every masonry brick. I'll give the Padre a heads up of course ----to stand clear!

Zitro

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great!! You have to use the regular size ball though not those tiny ones. That's the one I imagined bouncing down the hallway.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The superball made the homerun fence on the blacktop very doable...they would end up on Fordham...and they were banned from curb ball, (The 7 and K Kid would have vouched for that..GRHS)

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hello and welcome to McConfession.How long since your last visit and may I take your order?"

"It has been several months since my last visit and
I'd like a double whopper of deception with a side of impure thoughts and to drink, a large green envy please."

"That'll be 10 Our Fathers and 14 Hail Mary's. Thank you for dining with McConfession. Please come again soon and have a blessed day."

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, I'm assuming venial sins only & very few of them.

As far as this ordination malarky goes...I've had far more experience than those formally ordained. I've committed all those sins, not just heard about them.

Jcole

Post Number: 3934
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, EB, and if you didn't commit them, I probably picked up the slack and did it for you

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My last post was a tongue in cheek in reference to the email confession idea. I figured there are drive through pharmacies and in Vegas they even have drive through weddings and someplace I heard has drive through funerals.

I was just clarifying in case anyone was put off by it. My humour can be dry, pun filled and parody laden at times.

Zitro

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you clarified this Diane, as I for one have never been known to post anything dry, pun filled, parody laden or sarcastic on this forum. It could have been taken the wrong way.

Jcole

Post Number: 3938
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dry? Parody? Gee, what are those?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, in defense of EB, he only said he would be more than happy to hear our confessions. He didn't say anything about absolution.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, just so you know I did get a chuckle out of your drive through confessional parody, so "now I have guilt" - Rex (from Toy Story)

(Message edited by 7andkelly on October 01, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Superballs were definitely out for curb ball. It took away from art of the game. A good old worn out tennis ball found around fence by the tennis courts at Heilman did the trick just fine.

Right in front of our house there was a small break in the canopy and it made for a perfect target to bounce the ball up in that hole and try not to hit any leaves.

Zitro

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a parishioner who was Jimmy The Clown? His name was Vincent Meli, does anyone recall going to any events where he was entertaining?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vaguely, vaguely familiar. Was he at the bazaars and church picnics?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could he juggle and make balloon figures?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he a happy or sad clown?
Did he wear a hat with a daisy?

Zitro

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I don't know. I knew him later on around 76 or so. I saw mention of him in an early SJ Calendar, and I know he donated a lot of his time around the area at hospitals and such, but I don't have any personal recollection

Zitro

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know he could make balloon figures and he was a happy clown

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Paul Avery would join this thread. Since he organized the Parish festival for years was a Parish council member, SJS student, choir member, his wife taught at the school, the family was in the parish since the 40s etc. etc. etc. He would know the answer to the Jimmy the Clown inquiry.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track him down & bring him in here kicking & screaming if he doesn't want to come.

It's the Christian way. (At least following the example of some of our nuns.)

Jcole

Post Number: 3943
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or the example of the Spanish Inquisition

Zitro

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an Avery girl listed as a friend on the Sj FB page that looks like she could be his daughter

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I think it is Paul's daughter

The "architect" picture in facebook depicts Mr. Geck exactly as I remembered him in architectural drawing class at NDHS. He sure was proud of the credit union design.

Zitro

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pic was in the 74'Juggler. Why did the Juggler staff not add any names to the pictures in the 71' yearbook? I always wondered why they did that, it's very disappointing all these years later

7andkelly

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Averys. Their labels are of the highest quality.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phew! Game 1 (best of 5): Shock 77, Silver Stars 69.