Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Wolverines Football » Archive through September 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan's New Look - Adidas. Coach Carr and Jon Falk (Equipment staff) initiated the road jersey redesign change last September. No worries though about any changes to the Navy jerseys or the helmets. Limited supply of the new fan gear becomes available on a first-come-first-serve basis on Monday, 8/25/08.

Renovations to the big house look good and were needed. More change.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8613
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there are always going to be critics of the new additions to the Big House but from what I've seen of the additions and renovations, I think the architectural firm that they hired has really done a nice job in keeping the "feel" of the place. There's still a collegiate football feel to the place as opposed to corporate suites galore and the student body is secondary.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan will be interesting to watch this year. The big question is will the RR offense work in the big ten with its bigger, faster defenders and does he have the personnel to implement it the way he wants to? This is especially true at QB. The read option that is the bread and butter of the RR offense only works if you have a QB who is a legitimate run threat (see Pat White at WVU, Troy Smith at OSU, and Drew Stanton at MSU). At least publicly, it looks like it is a two man race for starting QB between Threet and Sheridan? Do either of them possess the physical talents to be a running threat?

Michigan's D should be very good this year. Their season hinges on the offense. They could go anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2. win or lose, they will be one of the more intriguing stories to follow in college football this year.

Moving on to RR, I will admit I have a certain opinion of him based on the fact that I'm a Spartan. However, even though I'm a Spartan, I respect what Bo Schembechler was and what he stood for. If I were a Michigan fan, I would hesitate to try and connect Bo's good name to a guy like Rich Rodriguez.

Sure Bo left his alma mater to go to Michigan just like RR has. However, in my opinion, the comparison stops there. For Bo, Michigan and the best interests of the program and the university came first. For RR, RR comes first. Everything is about him and NOTHING is his fault. His actions at WVU prove it.

Last season he "blackmailed" WVU into giving him a substantial pay raise by threatening to accept the Alabama job. Of course the university wanted protection from that happening again so they tacked on the now infamous $4M buyout and he knowingly signed the contract with that item on it.

Flash forward to his departure and the timeline. He has a secret meeting with Martin and Coleman in Toledo to iron out the contract and agree in principle. Now this is big news. You would think the first people he would break it to are his players. The guys who's living rooms he sat in drinking their mom's lemonade promising them that he would take care of their son and be there for him. Of course not. His first phone call is the the #1 recruit in the country Terrell Prior where he begins recruiting for Michigan...on a cell phone paid for by the West Virginia athletic department. After a quick team meeting he steals off in the middle of the night and he's off for Ann Arbor.

Of course, WVU invokes the buyout clause and demands the $4M from RR. He claims ignorance at first and then starts the court fight where RR's lawyer has the gall to compare WVU demanding him following through on a clause of a contract he legally signed to slavery. As if that isn't bad enough, he drags the precedings out long enough that it becomes so big that Michigan has to throw even MORE money at the problem. He got what he wanted. He paid less than half of the buyout clause and he gets Michigan to essentially "pay" him that much more.

RR may be a very good coach on the field and he will likely find success at Michigan, but in practice and off the field he is crude,selfish, and only devoted to him. If I were a Michigan fan I would never expect him to embrace the school and the traditions that you hold near and dear to your heart. He holds no romanticized loyalties he will use Michigan for whatever purposes suit him until a better opportunity (more money) comes along and he will try and force Michigan to give him a raise or he will leave for another school.

Something to keep in mind. Remember that $4M buyout that he fought tooth and nail and compared to slavery? At the same time he was fighting that, he signed his contract with Michigan...that included a $4M buyout clause. Have fun getting that from him when he bolts for greener pastures..

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, we gotta get past Utah first. I think that's going to be really tough. I'm hoping for at least an above .500 season but I'm not getting my hopes up. A one win season with that single win against ohio state would be good enough for me.

Mackinaw,
I'm with you on seeing the kind of shape we are in. The old conditioning coach, Mike Gittleson was great but it's good to see someone as devoted and revolutionary as Mike Barwis is.

Jimbo,
very good points. However, I'm hoping those his reasons and seeming selfish means for coming to Michigan are now simply "water under the bridge"
I wouldn't be surprised though if he does bolt, likewise if he stays for 20 years. Go figure.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 745
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haggle,

Don't put too much hope in Mike Barwis. Yes he is a VERY good S & C coach. However, the local media is trying to turn him into some sort of power lifting messiah. I can understand why. He's a high energy guy who gives a great interview. However, when you really look at his techniques, they are along the same lines as 90% of the rest of college football S&C programs. The only reason he appears revolutionary to the Michigan fanbase is because Gittleson was stuck in the late 80s in terms of his methodology. Barwis will bring Michigan even with the rest of college football. No less, no more. Barwis will definitely improve the players at Michigan, but don't expect them to be this crew of supermen who won't ever fade in the 4th quarter (see WVU last year against Pitt).

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheridan or Threet?

Anyone else think McGuffie runs too high? His Youtube high school clips are impressive.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 747
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni,

Who knows if those are the only options? In all honesty, we don't even 100% know what form of the spread RR will try and use this year so it is hard to even make an educated guess as to who the QB will be.

As far as McGuffie, for his own safety, he better keep his feet on the ground. If he tries to hurdle Big Ten players like did in those highlights he is going to have a VERY short career.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Utah is key. If that game is lost, it could get ugly. But with a very easy schedule this season some early success might not be out of reach.

I still think RR is a fraud though.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4952
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Players are buying into his system, especially the conditioning. Michigan will no longer be the slow team that Texas left in the rose dust.

There won't be any losses due to complacency (App State), either.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, while I agree w/ your statement above, I take exception to the comment about Texas leaving UM in rose dust.
The final that day was 38-37, one of the best bowl games played in years, and ONE player beat the wolverines that day, Vince Young.

_sj_

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There won't be any losses due to complacency (App State), either.

That is pretty big assumption considering his loss to Pitt last year.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5293
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good defense, good running backs, and a coach who will innovate using whichever QB steps up, so that we can still have a passing attack (Matthews, Butler, and the new WRs are all very talented)...

sounds like a good recipe.

I'm excited.

Although it's no easy schedule playing Penn State, Notre Dame, and Ohio State on the road, _sj_.

If anyone is able to find a coverage map for ABC football this weekend, please post it. I don't know if I'll be able to watch where I am.

(Message edited by mackinaw on August 27, 2008)

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Performance talks....everything else walks...A to Z!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During recent interviews Sheridan and Threet both stated they did not know what their strengths were/are. Sheridan appeared more subdued while Threet seemed upbeat and smiled more.

Any Wolverine fans near San Diego can join others for the game at a "Wolverine friendly bar" in Pacific Beach called Pacific Beach Bar and Grill. http://www.pbbarandgrill.com/g rill_sports.htm.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on August 29, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well GOSH where are all of the pompous Wolverine admirers right now? Are heavy drinking, cursing, and finger-pointing involved?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 509
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing pains right now and that's expected. Don't be hard on the Wolverines.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5312
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand, Ravine.

Anyway, that sucked. The defense took too long to settle in, and the constant mental errors on Utah's part were countered by some of the best kicking-game execution I've ever seen.

The offensive ineptitude is, indeed, a growing pain. No Hart, Henne, Long, Manningham, or Arrington hurts...just a little bit.

The Big Ten season will be good, though.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is terrible! For starters, the O' line was totally dominated by Utah, Utah, Utah!, the running game was pathetic and non-existence, the receivers are slow, and the QB's can't throw or run...this team lacks big conference talent, including the Coach! Michigan looked like a Mac Conference team today!

This team will not win a single game!

blksoul_atcha!
Founding member of the BJL
Obama 08'

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed a disappointment. Initial failures followed by ultimate success is sweet. Glimmer of positive results occurred in the 4th quarter.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't surprised with the result. In fact I kinda of expected it.
Given our new offense, our new line, and new coach what else would of you expected, honestly.

Let RR get his system QB and watch the TD's roll in, mark my words. Maybe not this year, but someday.

_sj_

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Although it's no easy schedule playing Penn State, Notre Dame, and Ohio State on the road, _sj_.

No, but those are your conference games and will always basically be the same, scheduling two mac schools make it easier.

quote:

The offensive ineptitude is, indeed, a growing pain.

Get used to it, with this style of offense, it will either be feast or famine.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 750
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to say I told you so, but...I told you so.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to R2, regarding the team, "they know what they have to do to get better." He also states they are a conscientious team, which is good news, since sometimes staff primarily has that characteristic. R2 was straightforward regarding analysis of the season opening loss. Weekly Press Conference: Labor Day No Day Off --> http://www.mgoblue.com/footbal l/article.aspx?id=144666

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon Minor was impressive late.

R2 mentioned recently he did not want the (young) players to have to "think to much". Originally I optimistically foresaw 7-5, or 8-4. Now I'm entertaining 6-6, and that record could still be acceptable (this year only though!).

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought before the season 6-6 would be realistic. Now its going to be a stretch unless we can figure out some thing on the offensive side. We cant run the ball, we have no passing attack and I dont see a quick fix. It will be interesting to see how the year develops.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 758
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan's offense has looked even worse than I thought it would look. It is just plain bad. Next week's game against Notre Dame has a legitimate shot at going into overtime as a 0-0 game. Both teams have solid defenses but horrid offenses. I think Michigan will win the game but looking at their schedule beyond that, it is hard to find games that look like wins if the offense continues to perform so poorly.

I think UM only wins two games after the Notre Dame game (Toledo and Minnesota) and finishes the year 4-8.

Kenp

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The offense can only get better, the one thing we do have is skilled young players.
Mcguffie is to easy to bring down at first contact. Threet needs to step up and be the QB. Minor and Grady need more snaps and Carlos Brown has to get into the picture somehow.
4-8, 5-7 maybe 6-6. It really depends on the Offense.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5343
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I'd love to have some odds on these 4-8 and 5-7 picks. I'll take you up on that.

Hey, our record is already better than this time last year.

Notre Dame almost lost to one of the worst D-1A teams, so if we don't beat them, I'm quite concerned.

Kenp

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I would love you to prove me wrong, in fact delighted.
Go Blue, keep the faith

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 997
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bottom line is we are not going to compete for a national title. We will be better in the future but that does not help us now.

Pryor is looking better and better.