Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I thought the very same thing about the 71 (my graduation year) Juggler. Only a few team photos are identified. There isn't even an index. I'm not sure if it was an intentional style or a rush to publication that caused the 71 Juggler to have little or no detail with all the photos. Contrast to other Jugglers where the senior index included the student's grade school, college going to, clubs, sports, and honors. BTW, Greg Geck's pic is a spittin image of his dad isn't it?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Jude Quiz: Name 7 Avery children
If you lived in the triangle you need 6 to win,
out of the triangle you need 4
extra credit for birth order and current ages

Winner to be awarded the Avery Label of Distinction

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gees, kellyroad, you are tough tonight. i remember paul avery - was a good friend of my dad and their family was a great one. so thoughts from old hickory, tn.........millen is gone, hope the lions will become more than a tax writeoff for the fords......whatever happened to the tigers? still to me the best team to root for.... wouldn't it have been great to say "bless ya boys"? can cokrell bring detroit back to what it was once?...... talked with my son at annapolis tonight and he asked me if i ever thought the church experience in the woopie goldberg movie sister act reminded me of st jude?...... so there is another vacant school building in detroit - our familiar walls - what can be done to save it?...... just some random thoughts from an old jet who will be 51 saturday. please, no presents.....maybe one of those milk cartons that made the pop when you put it on the floor and stomped on it...........

12468_laing

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, anyone remember going to a dentist by the name of Dr. Curtis who had an office where the Comerica branch is now on Morang and Dutchess?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Yea, the Farm Maid cube milk cartons were the best to pop especially with a good hit from the heel of one's oxfords. Sister Treseta Ann was probably the closest to Woopie Golberg's Sister Act. She was the "choir" teacher for the school especially during May Crowning Practice. Poor Mr. Schaffer would have to replay the choir loft organ over and over again until a church full of grade schoolers got Immaculate Mary or Hail Holy Queen just right. I haven't heard any proposals of the St. Jude school use. An academy if feasible would be the most likely possibility. Maybe CFG can fill us in with the latest. It will be interesting to see who the fans boo at Ford Field now that Millen is gone. The Tigers...from being a likely world series contender to floating around last place...too many things didn't mesh....Granderson's early season injury, abysmal pitching (Bonderman gone, Willis injured, Verlander mediocre, Rogers..you get the picture), Pudge traded, bull pen shakey at best,.....on and on and on.... a cascade of misfortune that the manager just couldn't handle. The pitching coach was let go and you probably heard that Leyland was not given a contract extension. A lot of promise over shadowed by disappointment. 09 should be interesting. BTW, Happy Birthday

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3949
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, no one can bring Detroit back to what it was when we were kids in one or two terms. That's going to take a complete overhaul of the manufacturing/service industry model or the auto companies turning the clock back to 1960.
Hope your training is going well and I hope you have a great birthday.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HBD Laing! -
I remember popping those milk cartons - good one!
No, no news on any interest in the school. Wish I had some better news on that front...Have to keep praying that something good happens to our old schoolhouse!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm telling you gang a bowling center in that neighborhood would flourish if done right. There isn't a center around for miles.

Zitro

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Regarding the 71' Juggler the shame of it is that the art on the cover was by far the most unique and creative of any of my four years, I think Don Jurevich 72' designed it, I ran CC & track with him. He's a MD in Chicago, I've thought about looking him up next time I'm there, if so, I'll ask him about why they felt the need to exclude any captions

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, happy b'day Laing!

Cfg, see if Fr. Liberty will buy off on Z's idea for the bowling alley. They can display Mass schedules and Gospel verses on the overheads. The pool tables will go in Rm 100. Kerosene patio heaters for the smokers in the courtyard.

J, you can be in charge of the interior design.

Zitro

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're bowling centers now 7 get your head out of the gutter

(Message edited by zitro on October 02, 2008)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 485
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOW there's some creative thinking 7! ...and Z, up here they're still alleys.....no Bowling Centers for the folks in the "D" (ish)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowling centers? Now that's what I call high falootin'.

Zitro

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind you're trying to sell this to the church, it has to be promoted as a more distinctive atmosphere than an alley.

Here's a listing for one in Detroit:

Renaissance Family Center 19600 Woodward Ave. Detroit (313) 368-5123

Zitro

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papal Pins Family Entertainment Center

Jcole

Post Number: 3952
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good thing for your plan that Catholics gamble and drink, or this could be a mighty dull place.
The bar can be Jude's Gin 'n' Juice

7andkelly

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Jet's Pizza and Bowling Alley?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That kind of bold innovative thinking is why you're in charge, and I'm not, J.

Not sure if it's all going to pass muster with the Padre, though.

Zitro

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The business model for successful centers these days are not so much geared for the league bowler anymore although it's a critical component because of alcohol sales. They are trying to reach out more for the family entertainment feature. Thus the Cosmic Bowling, Rock n'Bowl, scenarios. Plus, from the humanitarian side a lot of places are adapting to people with special needs i.e. The blind,wheelchairs, and other misfortunes. Iowa just passed a clean air act so there is no longer smoking in any public buildings but even before that a lot of the centers around here did not allow it until after 6:00pm to accomodate the non-smokers.

The absolute key for something in this neighborhood would be to keep the trouble out of there somehow, someway. Once people felt threatened or had to worry about their vehicles outside you're done.

Jcole

Post Number: 3953
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, no Rock 'n' Bowl, how about Psalm 'n' Bowl and instead of Cosmic bowling, we could have 'Spiritual Bowling' where you select either your guardian Angel or a saint of your choice to help guide your ball down the alley.

Zitro

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a new place being built in Ames right now that illustrates what I'm talking about.

http://www.perfectgamesinc.com /

Zitro

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might as well throw in a rosary hour and chase everyone away

7andkelly

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, looks like a nice rendering of the new Rex entrance, but you better get J's approval fast because she's clicking on all 8 cylinders now. This whole thing is going to be completed by Christmas.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign me up for the rosary hour league. My team name is "The Ave Marias".

7andkelly

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see that bowling alley is Catholic too, Z.

Zitro

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which center are you talking about 7?

Jcole

Post Number: 3954
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, you'd better start making plans to commute back and forth to Detroit. We're going to need you as house Pro

Zitro

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dream has always been to run a pro-shop so there wouldn't be a need to commute. Video taped sessions are a big thing these days, there's some excellent software out there used to breakdown a person's game.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one in your link, Z...bowling, kids activities and games, great food and AMENities.

12468_laing

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually like the Papal Pins Family Entertainment Center. Why not take it a step further. Advertise it as owned and operated by St. Jude Alumni and paint the pins like the good old' Dominican nuns we all would have wanted to throw a bowling ball at back in the day? Any artists out there?