Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through September 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: didn't GB once try to get the uOFm alumni association to change the school colors to JUST brown???? But SHY convinced him to slip and slide on the bananahead concept ..... she did have a strong influence on him ... it fact she had him doing chores around her house while she dated other guys ... sounds familiar to the fox who lived on Farmbrook.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: All that work for one date? The Sunliner got GB many first dates, but it wasn’t until he joined the Lutheran choir that one agreed to go out with him a second time.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Didn't GB get married after his 2nd date with SE 59 .....??? He sold her on the concept that he knew how to do household chores (Thanks to SR and Howie)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You guessed it. He didn’t want to push his luck and try for a third date, so when she proposed to the choir’s lead base he said yes. He didn’t know she was going to make him into a first tenor.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: He later found out the he was totally a soprano - thank to her. ..... if fact after she was through with him every time he would sing he was able to shatter thick glass....

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I thought it was a two stage evolution… base to tenor on the honeymoon… and tenor to soprano at the break-up.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is indeed very sad to learn of 7_and_Kelly_Kid's (David Van De Wyngearde) passing last Friday. Dave was a childhood friend of mine, lived right across the street on Eastwood, attended St. Jude School later St. Thomas and Denby. After high school we both went our separate ways never being in contact for over 30 years... Through the magic of the internet (specifically on an Eastside thread of Detroit Yes Forum) we were reconnected. He called last spring...We were on the phone for 4 hours, I had never been on the phone that long in my life. Dave pointed out "You know I think this is the first time we have ever talked on the phone together" Of course back in the day a dash out the door and a yell at the side door was a much more effective way to communicate.....the irony of Dave's statement couldn't have been more poignant. Dave's recollection of Eastwood Ave. and St. Jude Parish memories seemed like a time warp that just unraveled with the most detailed and fervent descriptions of the northeast side during the 60s. He was a true eastsider and loved St. Jude Parish. We reunited at the St. Jude grounds planting day on June 1 but never did make that trip down memory lane on Eastwood as we had planned with camera and curb ball in hand. May he rest in peace..... Dave started the Eastwood memories thread. His future postings will be sorely missed.

(Message edited by kellyroad on September 15, 2008)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KR. It was interesting to go back and take a look at the first few posts from this thread. Looks like ES and GB were assholes back then, just as they still are today:

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 3:26 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
KR........GB and eastside seem to have taken over heilman ect.....

Eastside61

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:16 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
7 KK - Sorry old buddy......GB is a bad influence and I will only represent 15847 Eastwood......remember he lived on Fordham....one of those other streets. Eastwood was my home until we moved to Mapleridge at the beginning of 8th grade for me at Columbus.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:58 pm:

7K: Sorry...I've tried to keep ES on track but his earlier days at Haight-Ashbury caused irreparable damage.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 8:18 am:

They done did it again!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 12:36 pm:

To quote one of the most influential figures of the 20th century.....Rodney King.."Can't we all get along?" (LoL) Anyway, 7K glad you started the Eastwood thread. Hopefully, those who lived on Eastwood and the nearby neighborhood will offer their remembrances and commentaries. And Yes I will try my best to stick with the topic. Peace out...more later

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Other than the posts in this thread I never met 7&K Kid, but nevertheless please pass along my condolences to his friends and family. And of course I am sorry for your loss of a good friend.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks OD. Will do

Eastside61

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all: With all the ups and a few downs from this thread ... I am saddened by the news ... and I am sorry that another true EASTSIDER is gone......ES

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I thought GB would have been back from CO by now. You don't think EF was one of the instructors, and she kept him late after school again do you?

Eastside61

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: EF on horseback would be a real treat .... GB will be stunned as to the tone of the SJS and Eastside mega thread has headed under our guidance during his absence. As a long time Eastwood resident I am so glad that I was able to learn from my neighbors and friends about christianity and forgiveness from my catholic peers.... it was hard to attend the local PS.....and it actually was a mile walk to Columbus which was in our attendance area .... and it was flat both ways ...... being one of the few who went to PS from 15847 Eastwood it was challenging..... thank god for my schwinn and mike mile's backyard which was only about 6 houses from Columbus...... I have wondered if my friends like KR, JC, Z and even 7&k knew what us PS school attendee's went through..... and now that I am working for a Catholic University I guess I have gone full circle ... but if I need guidance I will certainly call on Zero and 7& Kremlin first.....

7andkelly

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: It was obvious EatShit was cowering in fear, but now he's claiming sanctuary.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: If you saw the guys from the Almont police department riding in the Romeo Peach Festival parade, a little thing like EF on horseback wouldn’t surprise you. Those guys are well fed at Charlie Brown’s.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were the Almont police riding 7&Kremlin and Zero?????? Oh.... I better go back into hiding.....does the catholic church still offer sanctuary????? I think that is only in Iowa....... Oh....zero please guide me .... I am a worthy eastsider..... all is forgiven!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I too comrade have experienced the tough arduous trip to a PS school. The dangerous trip across Morang down Saratoga then the long 6 block journey to the kindergarten entrance on Spring Garden and Brock prepared me well for the throes of 12 years of Catholic education. Thank goodness my father chose to move to Eastwood thus cutting the travel time and ameliorating some of the sting of a competitive and serious education at SJS and ND

Eastside61

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: at least you had a touch of PS in the famous Columbus Kindergarten ..... Like you I do look back at those 13 years on EASTWOOD that I spent as a great preparation for things to come.... even interacting with Zero and NO-flex 7..... your experience and zero's /No-flex experience at SJS appear to be totally different ... maybe it is that they missed out on the K educational start at Columbus.....????

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I know about Catholic education is Mike Miles had to go to catechism every week while I got to stay home and play. And he didn’t even go to a Catholic school.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 461
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, that's why he went to catechism. That was for the "publics" (as I believe Jjaba called ps kids). We Catholic kids got religion class 5 days a week.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3818
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES, we ALL went to PS for Kindergarten. Catholic schools didn't have them, at least back then. Those of us on the north side of 7 Mile Rd went to Burbank, for the most part. So we did have the 'leveling' benefit of a non-parochial start. Actually, I was promoted half-way through the year into 1st grade, so I ended up with 1 1/2 years of 1st. And I walked 9 blocks of the mean streets to get there. It's then that I gained my street smarts. You PS kids called me a 'Cat-Licker'. I'm still in therapy

7andkelly

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, don't listen to those jerks.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: We all know that JC's name callers were just kids reflecting vicariously their parents' envy of a superior educational system. Somehow JC knows this and her intestinal fortitude was only strengthened

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3828
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, KR, I've got great intestines

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Oh, What a relief

7andkelly

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a relief it was Eatsht moved off of Eastwood long before I was born. For me, it was like he was never there. That way I got to know the wonderful Carter couple (May God rest their dear souls), instead of that useless commie.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: jimmy and rosalyn???? I am not useless and spent my day at the catholic university ..... and there was a position posted outside of the presidents office..... University spirituality and outreach was the actual title how ironic.... since I was taking major shots at those things earlier on this Mega Thread.....

But you cannot take away my experiences on EASTWOOD...which is my street, too.....thanks for all of your support and your caring

JC: The Burbank neighborhood must have been different than the Columbus area.....

7andkelly

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would have been coincidental.

Like your brain, your Eastwoodian experience is puny, comparatively, so respect your superiors...and stop spewing your trash here.

Stay on-topic, and be respectful.

Eastside61

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7; When god speaks through prayer she has expressed that we are all on the earth together...is that not what we all learned on EASTWOOD????? This is the EASTWOOD memories thread ..... do you want to discuss other things?????

Eastside61

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: With the season about to start I hope that god has been able to express who she thinks will be headed to the cup in late May....