Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » "Dom Polski: Dance Hall Days of Detroit's Polonia" » Archive through September 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cicoci Pat works at Post 6 , by Suzys Bar, she works on thursdays for sure. we talk about the wild times at her place back in the late 80s

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bradyborn, thanks a lot for posting the b&w photo of St. Stanislaus Church from the balcony. It sure brought back fond memories. I have some b&w photos I'll post, too.

(Message edited by mortalman on September 15, 2008)

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can vaguely recall the "Jak Tam" I am more familiar with Jake's. Jake's was located on the sw corner of Farnsworth and Mitchell or Jos. Campau. They always had good draft beer and cold Kessler's. On occasions there might be some police cars parked along the Farnsworth side of the building.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St.Stanislaus had a high school well into the late 1960's. Some of the kids from Hamtown would refer to the kids from St. Stan's and the Chene Street area as "Ghetto Polacks".

Detroit's MC5 once played a dance at St. Stanislaus after one of the Catholic school girls offered her "services" to the 5. The dance became legend when Rob Tyner opened up the MC5's most famous anthem with "Kick Out the Jams, Mother Superior"!

Mortalman

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fr. George Rutkowski the pastor of OLHC Parish for 40+ years was a junior priest at St. Stanislaus High School in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Bradyborn
Username: Bradyborn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticub, guess this is what once was the King Theater. Would love to see a photo of it from the 50's, but doubt if one exists, or would be very lucky to find one.
King Theater Bldg, c.1988

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have an exact location of The King Theatre?

Mortalman

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a guy by the name of John Kunsky, not the Polish way of spelling a last name, that later changed his name to John King. My father told me years and years ago that John Kunsky owned many theaters in and around the Detroit Area. Theaters like the Michigan, Adams, State and some others that I forgot. Maybe John King owned the King Theater on Chene, too.

Mortalman

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Home Theatre on Chene mentioned earlier in this thread.

From the Water Winter Wonderland Website:

"Entry Date: 4/9/2006 - Jim Chominski: In 1967 & 68 the theater turned into a teenage night club called the Castle. The neighborhood loved it, it gave the kids place to go. It was a tough neighborhood, and I always managed to get into a fight. I believe the owners name was Howard Hayward. My band (Von Dutch Inc.) played there in 67 & 68, and I took all the promotional pictures. Attached is a picture of the interior. I do have a negative of the outside marquee and the name New Home Theater above. If I can find a photo lab that can make a print from a B&W sheet film negative I will send it. Today the entire neighborhood is torn down and the Poletown Cadillac plant is there today."

home

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I can find a photo lab that can make a print from a B&W sheet film negative I will send it. Today the entire neighborhood is torn down and the Poletown Cadillac plant is there today."

That would be great!

Bradyborn, Thanks for the head on shot of the King Theater. It's the place but it isn't. Somethings are better left to our memories.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bradyborn,
The photo of the exterior of the church is Immaculate Conception, torn down for the poletown project, Moran and Trombly. I attended grade school there, class of 63, then went to St. Stans. Yes, I was a BRONCO. The interior shot is definitly St. Stans. Class of 67.

Drove down Chene street a couple of weeks ago and almost passed Ferry and Chene, no building on the corners. Ferry market still stands. very sad.

Bradyborn

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mortalman I can make a positive image from that neagative, either digital or a print,as long as it is not larger than 4x5 inches. Can I leave a phone number on this site, everything seems so anonymous. Lets put it this way, call the Dept of Pubic Information at Dearborn City Hall and ask for the city photographer. I can get the address of what was the King Theater on Chene, it was right next to the Round Bar, as I have shown in previor pictures. I think it is between Kirby and Farnsworth. Thanks to others for confirming location of photos I post, but I know what they all are, unless I say I am not sure. Slick, for me Poletown was a big objective photo documentary project, adds extra meaning to hear from someone to whom those buildings were a real part of their life.

Mortalman

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The attached photo is the funeral cortege for Fr. Francis A. Mueller, Pastor of St. Albertus Polish Roman Catholic on April 23, 1913. My question is does anyone have an eagle eye that can determine what street this is on and what the orientation is? In other words which direction are they walking? I'm thinking it's either St. Aubin St. or Canfield Ave. since that's where the church is located. And, Canfield may not have been called Canfield in 1913 it might still have been Fremont St.

cortege

Bradyborn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman that is a tough one. Difficult without some point of reference. I guess there is nothing recognizable, or anything that still exists today that can be identified in your higher resolution original photo. Sometimes shadows give clues, but not sure here. Records form the Burton Historical or Archdiocese office might tell, but would take some digging.

Mortalman

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bradyborn, I think you're right about it being a tough one but the people on this Forum are such good detectives that I have seen them crack the mystery on things that I thought were "lost in time". I thought maybe somebody might recognize a house or some other obscure detail. My guess so far is that this funeral cortege must be marching toward St. Albertus with the camera looking back at the procession because it doesn't look like the church is in the background. Also, I'm sure someone on this site might know or remember the name of the funeral home that serviced either St. Albertus or the community as a whole and where it was located. Those are my thoughts for now. I’m going to try to research some of these other questions. The reason I'm asking these questions is I'm trying to piece together what the neighborhood looked like back all these many years ago when it was a thriving and vital community.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only funeral homes that I've found in that area, so far in the Sanborn maps are the:

Kulwicki, Jos., Funeral Home (1878-?) -4190 St. Aubin & Willis (Detroit's oldest Polish Funeral Home)

Wujek Funeral Home (1917-53)-1414 Canfield (Previously photo studio of Joseph Sowinski,1890s- 1915.)

So, it was probably the Kulwicki one from that date.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on September 20, 2008)

Mortalman

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, that makes the most sense to me. I thought that picture looked like Canfield (Maybe it was still Fremont St. back in 1913) looking back from east to west. Here's a link to the original photo in a larger format. Then type in "Mueller" and enter, then go to the Cortege of Fr. Francis A. Mueller, 23 April 1913 photo, click on it and then enlarge it to its largest size. Maybe someone can see more details. There are some larger structures in the deep background right behind the end of the procession. So, maybe we have a little more information to figure out this picture.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?c=vmc;page=index

(Message edited by mortalman on September 20, 2008)

(Message edited by mortalman on September 20, 2008)

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the pdf link below, the name of the priest in question is Fr. John Mueller.

http://www.stalbertus.org/hist oryofstal.pdf

And I believe that the street is St Aubin, looking at the procession leaving the Kulwiki funeral home. The building is still there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl =en&q=4190+St.+Aubin+Detroit+M I&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocod e_result&resnum=1&ct=title

I think the building is barely visible in the upper left corner of the photo.

Of course I could be wrong, but it's worth a try.

Mortalman

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, is there a chance that you could post the Sanborn Maps of Kulwicki, Jos., Funeral Home and the Wujek Funeral Home? I, also wonder if those two funeral homes still exist in some other or new incarnation in another location. Both names sound real familiar to me but I can't place them and I'm old but not old enough to remember those two in their original locations.

Townonenorth, I think I specified his name in my original post with the photo, "The attached photo is the funeral cortege for Fr. Francis A. Mueller, Pastor of St. Albertus Polish Roman Catholic on April 23, 1913." But, the pdf file you posted is very useful. I had no idea that this book you gave a link to even existed.

You know for as important a milestone as the building of the St. Albertus was there seems to be a woeful lack of photographs from its early years. I wish if there are old photos out there that people might post them for all of us to enjoy.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wujekcalcaterra.com /main.htm?http://www.wujekcalc aterra.com/pages/history.htm
Try this link for a short history.
Wujek was also located on Van Dyke, 2 blocks north of 7 Mile. One block north of Duchess!
Not sure when they closed.

Mortalman

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew I remembered hearing the "Wujek" name recently. Thanks, Slick!

Mortalman

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know who the architects for St. Albertus Church were? Is that something that shows up on Sanborn maps? And, are there public accesses to the Sanborn maps through places like universities? I know when I was doing some genealogical research the University of Michigan provided student passwords to access this commercial database. I was wondering if it worked that way for the Sanborn Maps, too.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Stan's last graduating class was 1973. I was an incoming freshman in 1972. My parents wouldn't let me go to Stannies because it was going to be the school's last year. I wanted to go to school with my friends who all went for the one year. Most went to St Florians the next year and some went to East Catholic.

Also Wasik Funeral Home was across the street from the church. Jerry Wasik was a basketball player with my Dad in the 50's. They now have a funeral home in Warren.

Frontchak Funeral Home was on McDougal and was the funeral home choice for most of the parishoners from St. Hyacinth.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are available online; you'll have to check with your local library to see if they subscribe to them.

There is never anything about the architect on the maps, only the outline and # of stories, type of construction, and any fire safety info.

Without looking, I'm guessing that the only info on the maps about these funeral homes will make them indistinguishable from most typical houses in that area, so basically they'll provide little information. Ususally only major businesses and structures are identified outside of the street address.

When I do research for long threads, like the Old Polish Detroit thread in the HoF section, I open up a spreadsheet to keep track of the map #s and addresses of any Polish churches and businesses, so it shouldn't be too much trouble locating them.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Townonenorth, I think I specified his name in my original post with the photo, "The attached photo is the funeral cortege for Fr. Francis A. Mueller, Pastor of St. Albertus Polish Roman Catholic on April 23, 1913."

Which is why I specified the correction. The paper probably had it wrong. I'd feel that the parish history is correct.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a guy by the name of John Kunsky, not the Polish way of spelling a last name, that later changed his name to John King. My father told me years and years ago that John Kunsky owned many theaters in and around the Detroit Area. Theaters like the Michigan, Adams, State and some others that I forgot. Maybe John King owned the King Theater on Chene, too.

John Kunsky was the leading movie theatre developer/entrepreneur in the teens and twenties, the boom time of that industry. He had the local franchise for Paramount/Publix, a license to print money back then. It is easier to list the theaters that Kunsky didn't own.

Mortalman

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth, sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I had some work to do.

I looked and looked and looked at both of our posts and my posts until I finally figured out what you were saying. You were saying Fr. Mueller’s Name was “Fr. John Mueller” when I referred to him as Fr. Francis A. Mueller. Now, I don’t know where that book came from that you sent me the link to but it is wrong. I went to the bible on St. Albertus history written for the St. Albertus Centennial 1872 – 1973 and he is referred to as “Fr. Francis A. Mueller” all throughout the book starting on pgs. 106-124.

(Message edited by mortalman on September 23, 2008)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I see now, thanks for the info, as well as the additional info on the St. Stanislaus history.
Here's a nice flickr site with photos of St. Stans:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/o rganistmike/2048654788/

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a question for all your Hamtramck High grads: where were the music rooms (band rooms) located in the school? My dad, an HHS grad, is reading "Horn Man" and for the life of him, can't recall where the rooms were.

Dziękuję

Mortalman

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, thanks for the explanation of the Sanborn Maps and what they do and do not include. This leads me to my next question which is, "Is there some kind central repository of information concerning the architects for buildings in Detroit? I was on the HAIF website which is similar to DetroitYes and they have a wealth of information on architects that built buildings in Houston. But, I think the website might be called Houston Architectural Information Forum or some such thing which could be the reason.