Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through October 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! this site has really taken off. It is i Rocketwhit. When i found this site one of the last posts were made in 2004. Not to be a glory stealer but i and a few others stayed the course to revive this life changing place and time. I'am thankful that it has blossomed to where we are at with it. please look at HOF threads to here my tail. I've been seeking the likes of Ruth Hoffman, Stonefront, John Collier, Robin Welch, and finally you cats showed up. A reunion is the idea of greatist magnitude. Will attend at all cost. I must go right know but will be back soon. To all my new best friends i'm looking forward to whats next in our Gar Wood saga Rocketwhit!

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this has been mentioned before, but one of the worst B horror movies ever made is "Death Bed, The Bed That Eats." Most of it was shot at the Garwood, and unfortunately there are only a few scenes that show the house. I'm guessing that the bedroom it was shot in was the one that was half way down the stairs to the basement, possibly the one I think Stnfrnt was talking about that a guy named Lee lived in. The movie is hideous, but there are a few shots of the mansion that made it worthwhile for me to watch it. Jeez, I sound like Roger Ebert.

Anyway, if you're interested in watching it to get a glimpse of the mansion, I rented a copy of it last year from Netflix. I also just ran across a trailer of it on You Tube that shows a clip of the door and balcony.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =tBhsPP06-mA

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also ran across a review about this film that includes a sentence; "We are then introduced to the film's ostensible on/off screen narrator, a young 'undead' painter (played by Dave Marsh)." Wasn't he a co-founder of Creem Magazine?

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dgrl, thanks tons for Earth Magazine stuff. That's what I'm talkin bout. 1 Kielson gets a big kiss too.
I heard that lightning strike theory too but find lots of holes in it. Christ, the house was built with imported Itallion stone and it had a slate roof to boot. Anything's possible but sometimes not probable.
Saw one of the bikers step off into the deep end of the pool one night. No water in there and he broke his foot. Found a 9 iron somewhere and used it for a cane. Got around okay. They broke some stuff but Lenny Braun had a clean up crew haul the trash out in trailers. Found a 4 man crap game upstairs one night and was impressed with the amount of firepower laying on the floor. Left real quick. Love ya, Dgrl.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 854
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lenny had Lennys Blues Deluxe Cafe on Gratiot,by East State Fair

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More recently Lenny had a coffee house on 10 Mile near I-94 in Eastpointe. He had some live blues shows in there including Rob Noll. Nice guy. I sometimes play for his biker buddy Louie down in FL at his bar, Lou's Blues.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW how in the heck can all of you great people remember all that stuff. My first time at the Gar wood was well before hippies were there, or maybe those clean shaved short haired college students became long haired hippies. Anyway that was really a very vague moment , except for the great view from the main bedroom. The second time, I recall a Friend needed a ride to that location to hook up with some Detroit wrestlers or I could have reversed that one, the wrestlers were nearby and the friend gave me a ride to the Garwood and went on to meet the wrestlers. See how easy it is to not keep track. I do remember the greatness of the entry. Such grandeur two staircases outside and I believe two inside , and then the tunnel hall to the great BALLROOM there! that room was the house. The walk in fireplaces (or just about) the grand tall windows overlooking a huge patio leading to the lake. You felt like the lake was at your fingertips. And let us all remember the great wooden floor and great acoustics. Dance Dance and more dancing. What fun we all truly enjoyed.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 856
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJ- Yes, i was at his coffee shop on 10 mile rd. i was there a few years ago. Welcome tto the forum RJ. Are you RJ from the Sun Messengers?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, don't ever doubt the destructive force of even the smallest natural event. Mother nature can do things you and I can't even imagine. I've experienced Mother Nature's wrath (likely not aimed at me personally, or I wouldn't be here posting) in my life - fire and lightning, just for starters. I don't doubt her. I'm not saying this because I claim to know what happened to the Gar Wood. As I said, the desire of some people to be rid of the house notwithstanding, the lightning scenario is entirely plausible. You may have much more knowledge of the circumstances due to having lived at the house for so long. Anyway, all of that said, our house is gone. We're poorer and sadder for it's demise.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from running around in the north woods with my brother. Lot's of bow hunters, small gamers and weekend warriors on the trails and in the fields. Michigan really is a beautiful place, excluding the economy. OG, the photo of you and Stone on the porch isn't really inclusive enough to know for sure where it's at or whose house it is. I do feel it's familiar enough to suggest it might be Breeze and Linda's house on Brooks Street. It seems similar to what I remember their house looked like. You said you'd been there. Think about the possibility. It was in the now gentrified neighborhood on the old west side of A2, north of Miller and west of Main. As best as I can remember, and I tried to find it, the Brooks Street house hasn't been there for many years. Which reminds me of another house Breeze and Linda lived in in A2. It was on Wagner Road south of Jackson Road on a small lake that I still visit on occasion, and is now a park. I don't know if this rings any bells with you guys. My memory doesn't serve me well enough to tell you if this was a post Gar Wood era home. If it was, maybe one of you guys visited or lived with them. I think (attic/addict) Chris lived with or near Breeze and Linda for a long time after moving from the Gar Wood. I used to see them together at bars in A2, periodically.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth Hoffman, welcome back! I saw your postings on a website mentioned here at Detroityes, a few years ago. There was messaging on that site about the Gar Wood, including by people I know. I tried emailing you at the UC address you were using at that time. I received a failure notice. I also posted your name here, under the mistaken heading of Detroit Theatre Organ Club, and was corrected by another poster. Someone responded to that post saying you were related to them. I guess what I'm getting at is: how did you find us again? I'd inquired about Ronna Rittner. She and I were friends. Eventually a lot more connections will come about as more Gar Wooders join in. Glad you've joined us. Now we have to drag John Collier back in, even if he's kicking and screaming.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more and I'm out for the evening. Does anyone remember Joel the 'Hash Man'? He was a mountain (Mt.Pleasant) people. He, I and Breeze were friends long before the Gar Wood. You might remember him for his excellent dope - naaaawwwwwww! Joel lived in A2 for a period of time after the Gar Wood, though I can't remember where, for how long, or with whom. I do remember Breeze, Linda and I at his parties, maybe as late as the mid 70's.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good morning all.....great weekend here in tennessee......hope all is well with everyone....like my brother im having problems with getting through this site...im sure its me, but ill figure it out in time.....re; john collier, has any one tried to contact robin welch and his ite he posted on 'my space/stonefront....i understand john helped robin with some info.....like many of you im interested in finding out about folks from the past....so does any one remember the winter sisters doris and judy, if so do you know where they are.....or carl or nancy sonnenberg...ive tried through other sites to contact them but no luck.....this may be a phopah...but im real confused as to who is who.....would it be wong to ask just who the hell we are.....i know stnfrnt is bro larry and old_guy is bush mark...most of the time i know who i am....but im at a total loss as to who the rest of this group is....since i grew up in the 60s and lived at the garwood...i have little or no memory left...to till next time....yall go and do good things

Isle_of_fun

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After Gar Wood passed away wasn't there a big party with over a thousand people that following weekend. Everyone had worked so hard to prepare for a visit from Gar wood and then he passed away. Yeah, people really worked not a lazy one in the bunch. A grief party for Gar wood with leon, shawn phillips, Hodge's and so many others. What a night!!!!! the cars were stacked outside the people were stacked inside. and everywhere people were smoking stuff, you did not need any thing, you just had to walk across the ballroom and you were stoned. I think that the young ones today love raves for the huge masses of crowded people that we were always exposed to and sometimes took for granted. ahhh yes freedom .
Anyone remember the great meals and spare food that Ma & Pa Hodge used to bring to the house. She used to say that none of you had any meat on your bones. lol more later

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive thanks again for sending me the EARTH magazine article.

I'm not all that computer savvy, but I'm posting all of the photos. The text would be lost in the space allowed here.

Django, I'm in the eighth photo, I'm the one with the short dark hair in the foreground. The girl in the tree is my old friend, Ellen, who should be posting here shortly.

The first shot is Larry Merryman at the Steinway. My guess is the band must have had a gig for the equipment not to be there. Second and third is the group shot posted previously. Fourth is Stonefront, which has been posted before. The fifth shot is one of the six organ piperooms. The sixth is of Lee Albinger a "drop-in" from the Michigan State Department of Drug Education. and the seventh is Peatie, a Wayne State coed at the time.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt -
quote:

D13grl, I never touched a computer til 3 wks. ago.I still don't have much of a clue. Lost 4 or 5 posts already and have no idea how. Lots of buttons here. Bear with me.

Keep at it Stnfrnt, you have a fast learning curve.

But you're probably in you're late 50's and haven't touched a computer until now? May I ask how come?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detgrrl, you rock! Thank you so much for posting the photos.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've enjoyed reading about the head-y days at the Garwood and I like to think I would have fit right in, but I was just a kid.
I shouldn't talk but I've seen the several calls for John Collier here and they are unanswered. I don't know him by reputation or personally, but he kind of stated his aspirations last August -
quote:

...so I could hand publish the pages- takes a while and I dont do nothing for free anymore. Ever since the strike of the newspapers I am embitered about doing any work for free. I could make hand copies but they will cost.

I hope he disproves the implication, for you that were there anyway.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to 1kielsondrive
I found this thread via Gary M. I agree with him, it would be great if folks would feel free to identify themselves. I think my FBI file was purged long ago so I can come out of hiding. (that IS a joke)
So - I'm up for planning a reunion. It would take a while but I have a little experience in doing such things and would be happy to give it a go. What say all? If you are interested send me your vitals directly to my email at ruthhoff@illinois.edu. I'll keep the information coming on this thread but will have to create a direct mailing list too. AND we'll have to know how many people are still in the Detroit area - and how many people would be willing to travel in for the event.

Has anyone found Fergie? Or is he here on this thread in disguise? Does anyone know Gloria Blondie? She and her twin sister Cynthia came to the mansion a few times. Cynthia was killed in an auto accident many years ago but i think Gloria is still around. They were from the Southfield area. I'm looking for Cindy Olds too -also from the Southfield area.

Oh and Larry - got your email - will answer soon.

Here's a memory. The night Leon Russell played that steinway was around Halloween and I came in costume. I was wearing a silver leather jacket that had little mirrors all over it and had small lights on the sleeve. I wore a battery-pack on a belt and could turn the lights on and off. All the folks tripping on acid that night saw only a weird lighted creature coming through the dark and up the steps.
Neil, (does anyone remember him - he stayed in one of the downstairs pipe rooms) - broke my heart that night when he showed up with another girl named Penny. I think I cried for weeks - could have been days. Anyway - it hurt enough that I still remember it. i got over it though and hooked up with another Garwood fellow soon after.
oops gotta go to work..........

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dgrl, You did it again with Peatie. She was a sweetheart but memories of specifics still blurry. Finally heard from Robin Welch. Said he'd be posting soon. Maybe he can help find John Collier. I'm 100% behind a reunion. I'm pretty sure Gary Markley is in A2.
Ruth, how could anyone possibly forget your halloween thing? Didn't know you had a thing for Neil.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, dear Ruth. You, I and my brother were partying the night you mentioned when you wore the lighted jacket. I have ALWAYS remembered that night and your lighted jacket. Man, we weeeeere blllasted. Your jacket was the trip. You understated the reactions to your costume. Everyone that saw you, my brother and I included, was completely freaked. I mentioned it to him tonight and he fell out. Great memory! Sometimes, due to all the years, it's difficult to remember the exact details of each event. This helps me to put people and places together. I'm going to email you and Detgrrl the memento I have from that night. Hope you both enjoy it. If you have the time, post it here for OG and Stone to reminisce. Thanks.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, did you attend Oakland U? If not, did you have a friend, one of the Gar Wood crowd, who attended OU?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know who were the very first original Garwooders? How did they find the place? Got a feelig they were students; what? Did they answer a "For Rent--47 room mansion on an island, great view, many extras, reasonable" add in the real estate section?
The room at the top had all that carpeting and insulation on the walls, floor and ceiling so the band could do some decent recording. The ballroom was one huge echo chamber--not good. Sure wish I could find Dave Karas. He's got hundreds of hours of tape I'd really like to hear again. I heard he got murdered. What!!???!!!!?

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all I remember is that room on top was were I recall a conversation with college prep looking people regarding a family friend turning them on to the location and rental agreement. This was my first time there, I really do not recall who I was with but I do know that I was not with them again, too uncomfortable.

I thought that was the main bedroom although there were no beds. Seating desks stuff like that.
hope this helps.
I often ask to many questions and it was one of those times that I sensed it was time to keep my mouth shut, turn my eyes and walk on out of there.
It was an awesome view,

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, my first recollection of the Gar Wood was through Breeze and his brother Tom. I believe it was the summer (June or July) of '69. I was at the Gold Cup Races at the Brodhead Armory (East Jefferson at Belle Isle) with some of my hometown friends. We bumped into Breeze and Linda, whom I knew very well from CMU and Lincoln Park. Breeze and I had 'business relationships' at CMU, plus he was a TEKE (Tau Kappa Epsilon) brother. I'll explain that connection at a later time. Anyway, I hadn't seen Breeze for a couple of months since leaving CMU to return to Detroit for summer work. Breeze said, with a s*@t eatin' grin', in his loveable, foggy and scratchy voice, 'hey, you gotta come out and see my new house'. I can still see and hear him today. You knew him long enough to know exactly what I'm talking about. So we partied 'til the races were over, me not having the slightest hint of what was to come. We followed he and Linda to the house. Upon pulling up to the house, we were blown away. I believe (attic/addict) Chris was living there, I think Hooper was there and the guy with the cars and motorcycles as well as Breeze's brother Tom. Can't pin it down any better at this point. If someone starts talking, as Ruth did in her last post, it might spark additional memories. I've never heard of Dave Karas' murder. That'd be a shame. He was a loveable rascal. Now I have to think even more about how to find him if he's still with us.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det313grrl - very cool photos.
That house should have been made into a banquet hall special event place. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Breeze said his brother Tom leased the house from Manny. I don't remember details such as how Tom found it. I always assumed that Breeze and Tom got the house around the time we finished the spring 1969 semester at CMU, about June. Oddly enough, I don't remember Tom around the house that much. Given the number of years elapsed, that's no surprise.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking, thinking, thinking. It's amazing I'm still able to think considering the era we're discussing. A common refrain amongst my friends and fellows (unisex term) of the late 60's and early 70's is; we're amazed we survived and thrived, raised families and generally became responsible members of our communities, considering the crazy s*@t we were involved in. I'm not criticizing anyone who chose to follow a different path. In fact, I'm very proud of mine and my friend's involvement in 'alternative' communities and lifestyles. Before I digress too much, I'm often not sure of dates, even years in some cases, due to time passed. So, I welcome input and we'll all eventually ferret out the accuracy of our memories.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the all white cat that lived in the boatwell? It had one green eye and one blue eye and was deaf. I think it's name was Winter (named after Jonny Winter)
funny what we remember........

I also remember sitting on the floor of the ballroom with Edgar Winter, talking late into night. He struck me as a very smart guy who was amazed at his own success.....

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, I remember the all white cat. Didn't you hold and carry that cat around frequently while at the house? I have some Winter's brothers memories that I'll relate at another time.