Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Wolverines Football » Archive through October 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 508
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,
How concerned are you now? All mistakes on our end put the game out of reach.

Despite the turnovers, the offense showed what it can do. Good reads, decent decisions by Threet, and McGuffe showed that Michigan has a promising back.
Defense made some great plays and delivered some good one on one tackles. Those penalties didn't help though.

With that said I wonder what RR's Monday practice is going to focus on.

I'm still optimistic and happy that I got to watch the game in Iraq.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine fan(s) in Iraq. Fans remain faithful wherever they may be. Our future expectations are unabated.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 762
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I were a Wolverine fan, I don't think I would feel as optimistic. Michigan looked TERRIBLE against a team that only won 3 games last year and barely hung on to beat a San Diego State team that lost at home to Cal-Poly the week before.

As far as the future...well who knows. Michigan has already lost two of its 4-star true freshman linebackers from the 2008 class that just got on campus and they had the prize of their 2009 recruiting class, William Campbell, decommit.

RR better have his wizard hat and snake oil ready to go because as of right now, things aren't looking all that good down the road either.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

worry about your own team jimbo, we will be fine. We are still have a good chance for Campbell and if Im not mistaken got a Verbal from a 4 star lineman from Jersey Saturday.
I dont see us going in a 40 year funk like your Spartans, but I guess you would be the expert in that department. However feel free to kep us posted on our team.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 763
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,

I know you are hurting right now and this is tough to deal with, but I'd like you to point out to me something I've said that is wrong.

And yes, while you guys did get LaLota, he is far from William Campbell. Even though you say you still have a good chance at him, the fact of the matter is that you HAD him and now you don't and with sharks like Florida, Texas, Miami, and USC (which has beaten out UM and MSU for the last two #1 players in the state of Michigan) swimming around him, the odds of Michigan (or Michigan State) keeping him in-state get worse.

I remember coming on this board the day that RR was hired talking about the very same problems that UM is having right now and I got attacked pretty hard by people saying, "well you're just a Spartan. What do you know about winning. We are Michigan".

I mentioned how the QBs didn't fit the system and got answered with chorus of "but Threet is a 4-star QB" comments. I questioned the size of Michigan's offensive line (only avg 292 lbs) and their ability to open holes in the running game and people said, "but we're Michigan, we put linemen into the NFL every year". What have all those smarty pants responses gotten Michigan fans? Michigan is LAST in the Big Ten scoring offense (18.7 pt/g), rushing offense (124.3 yd/g) and total offense (290.7 yd/g) and 10th in passing offense (163.3 yd/g). I feel pretty vindicated about my football knowledge.

Also, I would like to address something here and now. ANY time an MSU person says something critical about Michigan, Michigan people bring up MSU underwhelming performance over the past few decades as if it has somehow negates our football knowledge or the observations being made about Michigan's football team. It doesn't.

And as far as past history is concerned, the previous 40 years to Dantonio coming to campus have as little to do with the current team as Bo Schembechler does to the current Michigan team.

To finish, I'm not worried about the Michigan team. personally, I'm enjoying this. The arrogance of the typical Michigan fan is rivaled only by that of a typical Buckeye and Fighting Irish fan. Notre Dame got taken down a peg and probably will continue to be taken down a peg or two this year as they simply aren't that good of a team. Now it is your turn. Hopefully someday the Bucknuts get theirs too. However, I will say that the most enjoyable part of this whole RR experience is seeing the same denials coming out of the mouths of Michigan fans about RichRod that were coming out of the mouths of Spartan fans when John L. Smith was here. Like John L, RichRod is a small time coach who's in over his head. He just hasn't figured it out yet.

Kenp

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you expect me to read all that Jimbo. I know what you said in the past you dont have to remind and prove yourself.
Its all good, in a strange way Im enjoying the season.
By the way, what was up with Ringer still being in the game with 3 minutes left. Without him your in deep trouble.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course you should. It's loaded with good clean knowledge.

Coach Dantonio explained that in weather like that turnovers can happen at ANY time and only up 17, one mistake puts FAU right back in the game. He wanted his most sure handed guy with the football until it was clear there wasn't any time left for a comeback.

As far as Ringer is concerned, you are right, we would be in some trouble. I think we have some good backups for him, but nobody is yet to his caliber of player. Hoyer is a solid QB but I don't think he can put the team on his back and win a lot of games.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2603
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Buckeyes!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hopefully someday the Bucknuts get theirs too

I think they sorta did on Saturday night. Ouch.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FocusontheD,

I agree, but I don't care if you are a Spartan or a Wolverine or a Lion (yes the motor city kitty variety) if anybody says that their team would have looked better against USC than OSU did then you are just fooling yourself. OSU is the class of the Big Ten this year (although Penn State looks VERY good) and they got embarrassed. Hard to see anyone else being competitive there either.

Kenp

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think OSU is as dominant as many others do. Look at their last few games of '07 and this year. Lost to the Illini, beat a injured UM in a so/so performance, then Blown out by LSU, beat up Youngstown, squeek by Ohio U and get humiliated at USC (PRIME TIME).
OSU's fortune has been over stated by a weak BIG Ten. This year is going to be interesting. Watch out for ILL, Penn State and MSU.
Who wants to bet me OSU loses at least 2 conf games.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 766
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KenP,

It all depends on Beannie Wells. If he's healthy, they are a still a relatively dominant team. If he remains injured, then OSU is only a good team.

Kenp

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are relatively dominant in the Big 10, I agree. The Big 10 is still mediocre this year.
I dont trust a team that returns guys that probably should have left. Those teams get a little complacent.
2 loses, come on somebody bet me.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 550
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M is going to have growing pains, but they will be alright. The mistakes lost the game for them and they won't make many more, I hope.

Kenp

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another 4 star D lineman commits to Mich, that makes 3. If we get Campbell that would give us 4 outstanding lineman.
With a great recruiting class coming in that means help is on the way.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu says "Go Blue!"

Kenp

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never give up!
GO Blue

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hail! to the victors valiant.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Kenp.

The first half bordered on embarrassing. The second half was a great spurt of offense enabled by stout defense. The defensive front should be very proud of themselves for tearing up one of the best O-lines. I'm already excited to see what that crew can do in Columbus...and hopefully a tough Big Ten season will help the offense mature quickly.

Kenp

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our D was on the field the entire first half. How they played so well in the 2nd was inspiring.
The broadcasters kept talking about the Wisc D getting tired late in the game. HA.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 509
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a weekend of upsets!

This is what I love about college football. The confidence factor and the notion that the team that plays the best,not the best team, will come out successful.

Go Blue

El_jimbo

Post Number: 785
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great win for Big Blue. I have to give you guys credit. I thought that it was all over considering how the first half went. Wisconsin did another one of its choke jobs and let you guys back in the game. That isn't to say that I'm trying to take away from the performance of Michigan. An opponent can only open the door for a comeback. The team that is down has to decide whether or not it is going to run through that door. On Saturday, UM burst through it.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not taking anything away from the victory, but is there a bigger fraud than Wisconsin year in and year out.

BTW, Spartan fans better take notice because that game could be a precursor to your match-up later this month. UM shutting down a one dimensional offense and then battering a mediocre QB.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Wolverine fans should note that MSU is NOT a one dimensional team. They are a balanced team. MSU averages 203 yards on the ground and 198 yards per game in the air. One dimensional teams don't have a RB run for 198 and a QB pass for 261 in the same game.

_sj_

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh?

Cal : 321 Pass Yards; 81 Rush Yards -240
EMU : 180 Pass Yards; 238 Rush Yards -58
FAU : 88 Pass Yards; 259 Rush Yards -171
ND : 143 Pass Yards; 203 Rush Yards -60
IND : 284 Pass Yards; 189 Rush Yards -95

That is far from balanced. It is two games stats throwing off the average.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 787
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But how different would that FA game have been if it wasn't a driving rainstorm with conditions worse than what Michigan and Notre Dame played in that day? Would Ringer have been given that many carries? Would Hoyer have thrown and completed more passes? Probably no to the first and yes to the second questions. So there were anomalies in several games that swung dramatically one way or another. So that is why you go by the entire season. Which is why MSU runs a balanced attack.

Trust me. If you think that MSU is one dimensional, you are in for a rude awakening.

As far as Michigan's run defense, it gave up a pretty healthy 158 yards on the ground against Wisconsin. Michigan has padded its rushing defense stats by playing the 44th, 104th, and 115th ranked rushing offenses in the country. Your rush defense is good, but not as good as you think it is.

Kenp

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 things.
1. Take your MSU debate over to your own thread.
2. Quit referring to SJ as a UM fan. He isnt.

_sj_

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about that.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toledo, Purdue, Minnesota, and Northwestern victories would yield a 6-6 record this season. With that, and an MSU victory, 7-5 would be satisfactory this year. PSU and UI both looked strong at times. Optimistic forecast - 8 or 9 wins in 2009, then 10 or 11 in 2010.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5416
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we should probably beat those four (although NW is better). I could take 'em or leave 'em. I just want to beat OSU, and maintain status quo against that college in the Lansing suburbs.

I like the Illinois matchup; it will be tough because of their quick-strike offense, but I think we might see some room for McGuffie to run again.