Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 08-09 College Hockey thread « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a little discussion last year,so I thought some of you may enjoy it again this season.

The local story is the folding of Wayne State's D1 men's program. This was supposed to be the catalyst for improving the entire athletic department. However only drawing ~500 fans a game just doesnt cut it in such an expensive sport.

MICHIGAN:Last years top ranked squad reached the Frozen Four in Denver, before before being knocked off by CCHA rival Notre Dame. With the loss of Hoby Baker award winner Kevin Porter and Max Paccioretti there will be noticable drop in top line scoring. Injuries are piling up at Yost arena just two weeks into the season, eroding the defensive core. The latest injury saw a UM football player violently attack a UM freshman defenseman landing in the hospital with severe head injuries. Michigan is ranked #2 entering the season. The Wolverines should finish first or second in the CCHA.

MICHIGAN STATE: Young blood is the story line for the Spartans this season. After losing 3 key underclassmen (Justin Abdelkader [Red Wings], Tim Kennedy, Michael Ratchuck) there suddenly appear 11 new faces on the MSU roster. The strength of this team lies with goalie Jeff Lerg who's heart made up for his lack of size in leading State to the 2007 National Championship. This season could fall in various directions for the green and white. MSU enters the season ranked 11th nationally. I am going to put my guess at a 3rd or 4th place finish in the CCHA.

OTHER MICHIGAN SCHOOLS: FSU and NMU are both much improved this year...here is where I see them finishing...
NMU: 3rd CCHA
FSU: 6th CCHA
LSSU: 9th CCHA
WMU: 11th CCHA

MTU: 7th WCHA

As always...GO GREEN

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.