Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4098
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me, too. Grandsons are coming to pick apples tomorrow morning, so I'll be the sore one tomorrow night.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today at 11 was Dave's Mass at St. Jude's. I'm sure he is pleased by it.

So, J, where were the apples you all were picking?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure you all watched the exciting, yet disappointing Lion's game today. Too bad they lost. The refs made a couple of bad calls against them, IMO.

Now the best they can do this year is 11-5. I'll take it, but admittedly hope is not as bright at 0-5.

B i w

Jcole

Post Number: 4120
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went over to Stoney Creek Orchard in Romeo on 32 Mile. We got a wagon ride out to the trees and then had cider and donuts. The 4 year old kept trying to pick apples off the low branches, but he wasn't having a whole lot of luck. He did get some. The 2 year old gave up. I gave him an apple and he just walked around eating his apple and looking at the trees. They were really cute.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great day for you, J.

Were the bees hovering around your cider cups? They usually do for us when we go to the Blakes on Armada Ridge Rd, or to Coon Creek Orchard.

Jcole

Post Number: 4135
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, 7, it was fun. And the yellow jackets were out in force. Alec, the 2 yr old, was covered in cinnamon sugar and cider, so he had his own personal bodyguard of yellowjackets at all times.
BTW, Coon Creek is no longer open to the public. We were going to go there, but I called and there was a voice message stating the above.
I wanted to go to Hy's on 37 Mile, but they didn't open til 11, and Kate wanted to get moving before the boys imploded. I know Jimmy, the owner there, and I like to patronize him when I can. Also, they have the best cider anywhere. If you can get some Hy's Cider at your local store, try it. It's awesome, especially with a cinnamon sugar donut or two.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is one of the things i miss from my Mich days - cider time. didn't the school have field trips out to one of those places? can't remember the name.

Jcole

Post Number: 4137
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably Yate's Cider Mill on Dequindre and 23 Mile Rd. It's the one with the red Mill with the giant water wheel right next to the Clinton river. It's still open. It does one hell of a business on weekends. They sell fudge and baked goods, and other 'gifty' stuff. That's one of the worst for yellowjackets, tho. They are everywhere. Also, I don't think they have their own orchards anymore. There's only a few apples available and no pick-your-own.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, jcole, that rings a bell.

Jcole

Post Number: 4138
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a beautiful setting for a family trip during the week. There's a nice park across the street and picnic tables with fishing in the river. That part didn't used to be there when we were kids. It was strictly country there 'back in the day'

7andkelly

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, tell Jimmy I said he's got a nice place there...considering.

If that's not patronizing enough, just add your normal stuff (insert small inconspicuous smiley here).

Jcole

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, that's very nice of you. You're such a nice guy.
There, is that patronizing enough for you?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. Positive comments are most welcome.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Granny video on my FB page.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above picture not only shows the parade of 1st communicants in 1963 but also the blacktop play area in the background....back in the "glory days" when the back boards were sturdy, the rims were level, and at times even nets were attached. The pavement was smooth and freshly painted with parking lines.

GAME TIME:

How many parking spaces did the black top provide?

There are 6 automobiles visible, one partially blocked by a tree. Name their model and year.

Survey: Did you ever climb the black top fence and position yourself on the back board supports to receive alley oop basketball passes or baseballs/rubberball fly balls?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: GRANNY GOT HER GUCCI....GREAT

Eastburn

Post Number: 502
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was worried it might be ostentatious.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ostentatious...Yes, but in the most charming way.
The maker of the robe should seek her out to do modeling and Gucci would have a class act to represent their products.

Jcole

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure she's 94? Because if she is, someone lied to me about my age.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granny probably got a fake ID to join AARP early.

Eastburn

Post Number: 504
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sure is a joy. We're all pretty proud of her. As you can hear in the audio, no one cuts her much slack.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok All, I hope you join in on the FALL PICTURE PUZZLE AND TRIVIA GAME. 6 pictures and 2 questions.
Identify the 6 pictures and where they are located. Hint: Detroit based (nothing obscure) and St. Jude property. The winner gets to host the St. Jude Halloween or All Saints Day party. It doesn't matter if it's in Iowa, Tennessee, Texas, or even Michigan...we'll all be there at least in spirit (no pun)

\

Quote:"my grandma taught there and they lived kitty corner from the church on the Lappin corner lot. She lived in that house until 1993"

Question 1. What user name stated that?
Question 2. Who is the grandma being refered to?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo #1 - One of the Tiger Statues at COPA.
Photo #4 - KR Swishing the last shot at St. Jude Gym (I wonder how takes it took)
Photo #5 - Statue of St. Jude
Photo #6 - St. Jude gym floor shot from the balcony
Question #1 - 7&KK

Jcole

Post Number: 4164
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grandma is Mrs. Pierce

Jcole

Post Number: 4165
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The user name is Harmonie

7andkelly

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo 3: What was left of an old bleacher from TS before that part got torn down.

Zitro

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit I was too lazy to back through the posts so I took a shot on the Grandma question

Zitro

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: I don't remember the Bleachers having cushions on them, did they put those on later? Last time I sat up there I didn't care if I came home smelling of pot and stale beer, which was many a moon ago.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Correct on the questions.

Clarification to your inquiry please: Did you mean how many takes with the camera to get the shot or how many shots it took to get a swish?....Hint: In any case, the eagles soared, the jets roared.......KR scored. "__"

Two to go and were all in the thumb.

Jcole

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z and 7, I initially thought that might be bleachers, but then I thought about it, and agree with Z, I don't think they had padding on them, at least in the 70's and early 80's.
Then I thought it might be something from the basement of the church??