Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4231
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the one our age was Ed Geck. Z, does that sound right?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greg went to school with KR and Greg with us

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 510
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Z. I knew I could count on you. I'll start out tonight siphoning gas out of the other campers in this dump of an RV park.

We're just down the road from Weeki Watchi. Maybe I can sneak in to get a peek at the mermaids before we leave here.

No problem with stealing electricity. Gas, electricity, what's the diff?

C'mon back, laing. I may need a confessor.

Jcole

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, especially if you're sneaking around with mermaids.
How did your mama raise you? I know the nuns and priests taught you better than to peek at fish ladies.

Zitro

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed with us.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, because Bob and Jeff own JAG Constuction - home builders.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

r

Jcole

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

s

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Greg Geck had a nick name that stayed with him after SJS through out ND. It was one of those nicknames that poked fun but was friendly at the same time. For the life of me I can't remember. Since you ran CC with Greg, I thought that you might remember.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This weekend is real football weather.

Does anyone have any interesting memories of the St. Jude Jets football program. It's amazing to think how hugh that program was back in the 50s and 60s....Hundreds of people lined the sidelines for games, 8 glossy paged programs, the band, the championships....It was a remarkable program especially for a grade school.

Zitro

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I don't recall Greg having a nickname. He was the wise sage on all of our bus rides so the nickname must have been one of those he felt was best to be kept close to the vest.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoyed a wonderful sweetest day dinner at Sinbads. There was an impressive painting in the east dining room that was noticable even from the entrance. When our waitress was asked if she knew who the artist of the painting she replied without hesitancy and a certain bravado "Ortiz". Upon closer inspection, the painting of a burning armada ship was as striking as is was from afar. The painting, along with the framing and lighting made the whole room. I thought there maybe someone in the St. Jude family that would find this story interesting

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sinbads. The owners are something like 4th or 5th cousins to me. I'm back. Got really busy with other stuff. I did look at the pics contest and although I might have guessed a couple, the others I just wasn't sure as it's been so long since I've been in and around the area. Oh, any news on the old school pics yet? Just wondering if anyone called on them and what was found out. Hope all had a great Sweetest Day. Halloween is next, one of my fave holidays. Peace and Love.

Zitro

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Nice to know they knew something about the painting. I'm sure knowing something about the background of it made it a more unique experience for you. My favorite Sinbads dish was always the pickeral. My mothers closest friend Alice was a waitress at Sinbads for years and years and the whole restaurant had her paintings in there for sale. That painting helped support my mothers painting career for years. I don't suppose you had your ever present camera with you?

Diane: When you first came on the forum I asked if you were related to the owners as I thought your last name was the same. Interesting tie in there.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sinbads" - sounds like something you would say in a confessional.

Diane, you're back. Fill us in on all your happenings since you last visited.

Diane12163

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just planning a move and having to clean, box, sort and stuff like that. Doing some advance furniture shopping, more like compariosn so we can get the best deal. didn't know if I'd mentioned it but a few days after the hurricane, we lost power for a whole week and had to vamoose to a hotel so we'd have lights and ac. The temp here was almost 100 for the most part and we would have croaked without the ac.

And Sinbads does sound like something you'd go to confessional for.

I actually did research on my name and there are 1 or fewer people with my name. I get the 1 but the "fewer"?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Honestly, as I pulled into the parking lot I did think "wish I had my camera". The picture hangs above an area that seats about 10-12 people. As we left Sinbads, there was a group people seated under the picture....we didn't want to be too intrusive, you know like standing in front of someone in an art gallery. If I had my camera, I would have asked "If you don't mind......" We do get to Sinbads at least a couple of times a year. I'll try to remember the camera next time.. BTW, the painting is suspended by chains in a hugh dark wood frame. The framing itself is pretty impressive. Did your mom have anything to do with that frame?

Zitro

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners were given a painting with that frame and as the story goes the frame was made from timbers of a sunken ship. The owners hated the painting that was in there but they loved the frame itself. They commissioned her to paint "something" for the frame. Usually it goes just the opposite way that you pick the frame for the painting. She always had doubts about the frames origin but it lends itself to a good tale none the less.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: and now your tale will be passed on. It does make for a good story.

Eastwood__rex
Username: Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings,
I just discovered this site and am very impressed. I spent the last few nights going back in time catching up on what has happened to the old neighborhood. I was deeply saddened to hear of Dave V’s death. We grew up together and spent many hours canvassing the triangle, inventing war games and climbing fruit trees for the perfect mulberry.
Dave and I were in the same classes at SJ, were in cub scouts together. I’ve got many memories of our times together.
To set the story straight on the tunnels under the church and school; the trap door behind the convent went down into a steam tunnel. One way took you to the church. It came out in the coat closet in the room behind the choir room. The other direction took you to the boiler room. I believe that it was in the Gym. Tim and I were brave enough to traverse the tunnel from the church to the boiler room but never went any further.
I was never in the civil defense bomb shelter. I remember peaking in their back in the 60s. The walls were lined with food and big containers of water. Have no idea if it was under the church basement or if the church basement itself was the shelter and the area under the stairs storage only.
I have many fond memories of SJS. I was a Choir Boy, Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Altar Boy etc… Glad to see this forum is so active. I have been living in Nashville for the last 4 years but will be returning to Detroit soon.

Jcole

Post Number: 4242
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Eastwood. It's good to see some fresh typists(??).
What year did you graduate from SJS? I know you said it was with Dave V., but I don't recall what year that was.

Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets see, I graduated from Notre Dame in 1970 so SJS would have been 66. My older sister graduated in 64, younger sisters in 68,69 and 71.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood_Rex: Welcome to the thread: I probably know you if you knew Dave and were in scouts. Did you live on the south west corner of Eastwood and Rex? Check out the St. Jude Arch Diocese Web site..there is a face book link where many old photos have been down loaded and video of the school (including the tunnels)
Anyway, regarding Dave V, it was amazing that were able to reunite after over 30 years (4 hours on the phone catching up on Eastwood and St. Jude memories) On June 1 we both attended the St. Jude parish planting day. You probably know very well the cherry tree on Saratoga and Rex that had an abundance of sweet cherries and that the war games in the triangle were a time honored tradition for many years. BTW, Thanks for answering the mystery question about the tunnel. We weren't 100% sure if there was a continuous route from the church to the school. Hope to hear more from you.

Jcole

Post Number: 4244
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was SJS 70, and my sister was SJS 65. We both went to Regina. Fran graduated from there in '69, and I would have in '74 if we hadn't moved in my junior year.
If you were a choir boy, you probably knew my dad, Jim Cole.
Z, who hangs out on here, was also in the choir.

Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember your dad, and Mr. Bass, and a lot of others in the choir. We did live on the SW corner. My sisters Annette, Sharon and Marilyn went to Regina. Joyce went to Denby. Annette just had a grade school reunion this year. They took the Clinton River cruise. I understand that there were quite a few people from her class. There was a choir reunion a few years back that I attended. Other then that the last time I was at St. Jude’s was about 4 years ago for the all grades reunion. Also last time I saw Dave. I saw the Garassi's at my Dads funeral years ago. Doctor Dominic, his mom and dad.
I still hang out with Tim Obrien occasionally. Don't know if any of you remember him. Other members of the boy’s choir that I remember were Ron Craig (passed away a couple of years ago). And Greg Zaijdel who I haven’t seen in 20 years.

Diane12163

Post Number: 405
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Eastwood_rex. You might know my sisters from SJS. I graduated in 77 and then on to Dominican. My sisters' names: Judy, Nancy, Gayle, Maryann and Joanne. VanHollebeke is the surname. That's really neat about the tunnel. I actually never knew it existed. Check out the Face book link for sure. There is a video on there which is the interior of the school and several pics of the school and church. Uniforms, single file lines and the smell of chalk.

Jcole

Post Number: 4245
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must have been kitty-corner to the duplex that housed the Rapport club. I didn't get over in that direction too often. I had some friends on that side of 7, but mostly, we stayed 'north'

Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, When did your sisters graduate from SJS? My wife went to Dominican. She graduated from there in 70.

Diane12163

Post Number: 406
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Eastwood. Here's the list:
Judy SJS 56 Dominican 60
Nancy SJS 58 Dominican 62
Gayle SJS 60 Regina 64
MaryAnn SJS 63 Regina 67
Joanne SJS 66 Regina 70
ME SJS 77 Dominican 81

7andkelly

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood_rex, I recently traversed the tunnel under the school at the end of a nostalgia video shoot. The entrance was from Frank's workshop, east to the back of the gym with a T in the middle which takes you to the school boiler room. You can walk that route with only an occasional duck of the head under some taps and pipes. Looking east from the back of the gym toward the convent down the steam tunnel, it was a much narrower crawl space. Is that how you remember it? And is there an opening into the convent other than the trap door?