Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Spartan Football » Archive through October 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought my Spartans should get a thread of their own.

I'm really excited about this season. MSU lost quite a bit, but they have a lot of guys coming back and some younger talent stepping in and they could really stand a chance of having a repeat trip to a bowl game. They have a brutal schedule, but there is nothing wrong with testing yourself.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU just may beat Michigan this year.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

two words...

Javon Ringerd

He's bigger and faster this year...and after running for 1300 yards last year and only 6 tds...

Being the main back this year and being both Lightning AND Thunder...Could be poised for a HUGE year

El_jimbo

Post Number: 744
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d_mcc,

Love the passion, but Ringer is still only 205 lbs. Hard to call him Thunder even though he runs with a lot of power for a back his size.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El...

I expect great things from JR...

In Dantonio I trust!

GO GREEN!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too. I think he'll rush for over 1,500 yards this year. Hopefully with at least a dozen TDs.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game Ringer! He's well on his way to 1500 yards and at least a dozen TDs.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he only has a dozen TDs, MSU is in trouble. He already has 9 for the year. He's a legit 2,000 yard threat now. If MSU has a solid year and he puts up big numbers, he could be a darkhorse for the Heisman.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 black belts in martial arts, a conditioning beast, a downhill runner, and a bruising back...

All wrapped up in one Spartan jersey with the number 23 on his chest...

What a beast...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright. Notre Dame this week. I'm guessing at least a 14 point victory.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree, at least 14. Based on what I saw last Saturday, ND's D is awful. Ringer will kill them, and Hoyer will have a nice game. MSU has enough D to put the clamps on ND.
Of course you cant have 6 fumbles.
Good Luck.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as there isn't a hurricane...fumbles might not be an issue, considering our kick returners know how to properly field a kick off...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 769
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc,

Be nice. In Michigan's defense, it was the first time on the road for a LOT of true freshman (including both kick returners) and there were probably a LOT of jitters playing in a hallowed, but hostile place like Notre Dame Stadium. One could make a case that playing so many true freshman is an error in judgement by RR, but I think we should leave that question for the Michigan football thread and keep this about the Spartans.

I said 14 because I'm trying to be conservative. I honestly think it could be even bigger. The only thing that concerns me is that Tate kid. He has speed, and when given protection, Claussen throws a fairly nice football. Hopefully our secondary will be up to the task.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the most important stat that no one mentioned from the game on saturday...

In the hurricane...with 43 carries...Javon Ringer never even BOBBLED the football...

With Wells out...I think we can say Javon is the best back in the Big Ten...

Maybe in the country...and I'm in SEC country

El_jimbo

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moreno down in Georgia is pretty good too...although I think he is surrounded by better talent than Ringer is. To me, Ringer is a definite first day pick in the draft. He reminds me a lot of Willie Parker.

I also think Ringer isn't done putting up big numbers either. This offensive line is getting better with each game. Redshirt freshman Joel Foreman is the one who has improved the most in my eyes.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no-show moreno!

Yeah...he's ok...but he also has matt stafford chuckin the ball around to open up the box for his running game...

I live in FL btw...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solid victory today. Ringer is looking more and more like a heisman candidate every game.

Mfs
Username: Mfs

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo, I agree. If he can keep himself from getting injured, he will be a top 5 candidate by the end of the season. However, they have to really start finding other offensive options. Every defense MSU faces will be on a mission to crush him.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have other offensive options, they just choose not to use those options. Remember the first game with Dell and Cunningham...

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 640
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did young Mr. Cunningham do with the balls thrown his way today?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cunningham didn't have a good game. He had a few drops 1 that could have been a touchdown and another that would have converted a 3rd down into a 1st down.

As far as the passing game goes, MSU does have the weapons and Hoyer can deliver the ball, but until a defense proves it can stop the running game, why do it? Especially against a team like Notre Dame. ND is BAD against the run. They do have a decent secondary though. Why play into their strength by passing?

I'm not too worried.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job stopping the run and controlling the lines. Good physical play. I think the key was the 2 big turnovers, and MSU's ability to defend near the red zone.
good win for MSU

D_mcc

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention the defenses ability to force Clausen into a position where he felt he had to force a play, rather than letting the play develop. Long and Kershaw were huge in that respect.

I agree with Jimbo...why put the ball in the air, when you have a ups truck that is capable of putting a hurt on defenders. Look for it again in Bloomington this weekend, the Hoosiers gave up 240 some odd rushing yards to Ball State...

We could be 5-1 when OSU comes knockin...

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoyer is a medicore Big Ten QB and it is his play that will derail MSU from anything special.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both lines played exceptionally well. I also give credit to the secondary. Clausen's numbers look somewhat respectable, but that is because MSU made them one dimensional.

As for the Indiana game, I think it will be easy sledding for the offensive line and Ringer should at least go for 150 in a short afternoon of work for him. We might see a bit more of the passing game this week as well...who knows.

As far as the defense is concerned, outside containment is the phrase of the week. Without Hardy, there is nobody in the secondary that is of major concern. Therefore, the key is to keep Lewis from beating you with his feet. keep him and Thigpen contained and then pound the ball on offense and this game should be over quickly.

After that, Iowa's defense poses a tough challenge and Northwestern has an offense that lit up our defense last year. I think we can (and should) beat all three of the teams we play in the next few weeks, but it isn't a foregone conclusion.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Afterall...this is Michigan State...

I like how the Michigan fans are starting to come over and take pot shots at OUR QB...considering they haven't had an established QB yet this season and the only reason they didn't suffer another loss this weekend, is because they had no one to lose to.

Look for Wisconsin to make it a long, long, looooong day for RichRod...

Hoyer is good enough to go up top when defenses start keying on Ringer...and if he can't do it...Cousens appears more and more capable...

D_mcc

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Sporting News' College football Alphabet of the week:

R is for Ringerbot. Michigan State RB Javon Ringer had 39 rushes, 201 yards, and 2 TDs against Notre Dame. A cyborg running back an excellent understanding of psychology: he appeared at the post-game press conference with his offensive line behind him and gave them all the credit. You do that, and the offensive line will run headlong into tree shredders for you for the rest of the season.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 784
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another solid win by the Spartans. They keep rolling along. Hoyer had a good game. Ringer continues to put up prolific numbers. Defense needs to work a bit on their tackling in space, but overall a solid performance in spite of playing a bit flat after the emotions of the Notre Dame game. Homecoming next week and Iowa is in town. With the alumni around and thoughts of avenging last season's overtime loss, I expect MSU to show up prepared.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again a solid win. Iowa is a physically tough team with a big O line and a big running back. Bring on Northwestern and lets get bowl eligible!!

D_mcc

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartans now ranked No. 23 in the country!