Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Archive through October 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K & KR, was it "trick or treat" or "help the poor" for Halloween on Eastwood?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3995
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was definitely 'Help the Poor'. Only nerds said 'Trick or Treat'

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you said "Trick or Treat , smell my feet, give me something good to eat"

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help the Poor (my pants are tor(n), give me some money to buy some more). OK Easburn, now that JC set you up, what was the halloween mantra in your neck of the woods during your era?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Eastwood, if you were out trick or treating, and were old enough to be considered a nerd for saying "trick or treat", the case may have already been made. That said, the older kids got the most loot...perhaps because they cut across lawns and generally ran faster, and possibly partly because the adults were just sucking up so you wouldn't come back later and wax their windows or egg their house.

Zitro

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The older kids would cheat and cut across lawns. The big bullies. Good point on the sucking up, nothing made me more mad than an apple, back when you didn't have to worry about razors.

Eastburn

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one ever said anything other than "Help the poor!". I think that's a uniquely Detroit thing. We only heard "trick or treat" on TV & in movies.

Our 2 favorite Halloween tricks were to put a few pebbles in a beer/pop can & toss it on someone's roof. Made a pretty good racket when it rolled down. Then there was the piece de resistance - the flaming bag of dog poop on the front porch. That was saved for particularly onerous neighbors.

Zitro

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A classic scene from Billy Madison

7andkelly

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, there was always the hit and run doorbell ring for those less odorous neighbors.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone remember Mr. Bass and his favorite saying? "get off my grass?"

7andkelly

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitty corner across Eastwood and the Kelly alley from Colonial Savings Bank...I remember the Bass family...nice people...was in their house a few times.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see the Bass family: Paul and Mr. Bass both very active in the SJ choir for years. Cathy graduated from SJS around 1969. The triangular lot they had off the Kelly alley was nicely kept up with hedges, shade trees, and beautiful lawn. I could see why "get off the grass" was frequently repeated

Zitro

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought everyone spouted the term "Keep off the Grass" in the 60's.

Eastburn

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, and a couple of years later everyone was smoking it.

Jcole

Post Number: 4017
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie Chaplin's son, Michael, wrote a book called'I couldn't smoke the grass on my father's lawn'
That's the ultimate 'Keep off the Grass'

7andkelly

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago I spent a few weekends helping a guy build a house out in the sticks in western Wayne. It was just an acre lot full of weeds to start. So this guy plowed it all down, poured his foundation and built his house.

Well late the following spring this group of 20 or so motorcycle riders pulled up to the corner and they're like "what happened to our shit, dude"?

Eastburn

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And we're still are waiting for the answer.

Zitro

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sensi?

Jcole

Post Number: 4023
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been

Zitro

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good shit.

So I've heard

Jcole

Post Number: 4024
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I've heard that too. Don't really know. Just heard

7andkelly

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting back to Bass's grass, they did have a nice lawn on one of those primo lots off the alley servicing the Kelly duplexes.

I wonder why the east-west alleys within "the triangle" were mostly closed off giving the home owners more usable property, while the alleys off Morang and Kelly remained open.

Maybe more of those garages opened up to the alley instead of the busy street.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: true...access to houses on Morang and Kelly mostly had garage entrances in the back. The 7 mile duplexes had garage openings in front.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad soooo many trees died from dutch elm disease. It was a blast raking their leaves into a pile, jumping into them for awhile, and then burning them at the curb.

I also remember people burning stuff in their backyard or alley in what looked like a standard metal garbage can, but with holes and rusty looking. I'm guessing that was garbage burning in those cans, and not leaves.

Jcole

Post Number: 4121
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved raking and burning leaves. We always did it in the evening after dark, and there'd be piles of leaves up and down the street, glowing red in the dark autumn evening, with the rakers standing in the street, leaning on their rakes, talking and laughing with each other until the embers burnt downs to white ashes, and it was time to go in and do homework

Eastburn

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd wrap apples in tin foil & bury them in the burning leaf pile.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, was this to create a pleasing aroma, or was there a mischievous intent to this?

Jcole

Post Number: 4132
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that the intent was to eat a baked apple.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't rule out a good intention. It just wouldn't surprise me if the apple was supposed to boil up in there, and explode in someone's face when they poked it with a metal rake.

Eastburn

Post Number: 501
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I'm hurt that you'd think I'd hold such evil intent. Just wanted a baked apple.