Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through October 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG----Holy moley, it IS Peter Walker on that address you posted!!!! Fanfreakingtastic! You did it to me again!

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, Spring sounds good to me, I agree with Old_guy, the more the merrier. Detroit is so much prettier in the Spring. It's been this long, what the heck.
Hope to see you this weekend.

Old_guy, glad you opted out of the hunger strike. Nice piece on Peter Walker.

1KD, you made me laugh talking about the road, way big holes! It's funny I had a dream about the Garwood not a year ago, very weird, to now have it all come flowing back, with all this input. I swear I can smell those cushions in that room off the boathouse.

Isle_of_fun, Greg roadied for Stonefront, wow, I didn't remember that.

Gannon, you must have read my mind. Yes, the Bohemian National Home would be an appropriate venue.

Who had that room off the pool with the fireplace? I remember it was a very cool little space.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, the story of your first time at the house and your affection and diagnosis upon seeing the organ is a gem - extraordinary! Share with us as much of your experiences with the organ as possible. There were plenty of people around, residents and visitors alike, who loved and cared about the house. Yours is a particularly uplifting story. We all have fun and crazy stories, but I suspect you and Stoney have the most uplifting stories, due to his longevity and your care of the organ. It was such a huge project, maintaining the house. It was beyond the means of a bunch of poor hippies, especially considering the odds stacked against us. You're correct - the organ was the largest, privately owned, self playing, organ in the country. . . . I also read that it was the second largest organ, of it's type, in the world. I may be able to find the article. I'll send it off. OG, yep, Arcadia publishes very nice little books. Quite informative and unusual. I've read about various towns and ethnic groups in Michigan. I'm non too excited about the Arcadia Detroit Rock and Roll book though. I glanced through it - it seems only to be peripherally about Detroit music and bands. It's more about bands that've played here. I was hoping for a strong follow up to David Carson's and Dennis Coffey's books. Thanks for the Peter Walker link. I'm assuming you let him know we're out here, yes? Det313grrl, I can still smell those cushions myself. Of course, boating is in my blood, so there is always a nice, pleasant smell associated with boating equipment. That room, for all of the mess, was a great room for crashing. You recognized my description of the road. I'm surprised no one had mentioned it yet. It took 20 minutes to get from the bridge to the house at times because the road was so bad. I have some more photos I'll send to you soon. The room with the fireplace off of the pool was supposed to be mine until it became clear I wasn't able to stay at the house and work my summer job too. I think Breeze and Linda had it for a while.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD, Actually I did not contact him. He has a MySpace page that he can be contacted through, but I'm not signed up with them.http://www.myspace.com/peterwa lkerguitarist

I'm up for spring too. I can't imagine it not being held in Detroit.

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cool thing about the organ for me, At the front end of the ballroom were the louvers that i think were breathers that opened and closed. Also the little wooden stairway behind them that led to the basement hallway were smuggled booze was hidden.

I agree any assistance that can be provided to John C. or others documentation of this great place in our history and minds should be given with quick haste lets keep moving forward.

how about 424 posts!!!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, I'm not signed up for myspace either. Don't care to. If there is someone out here that is signed up for myspace, please let Peter Walker know we exist, are thriving and we'd love him to join in.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket, thanks for your informative additions to our conversation. I don't have clear memories of the louvers or the stairway you mentioned. I'm hoping you and others posting here will elaborate to help jar my memory.

(Message edited by 1KielsonDrive on October 17, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14576
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just dropped a quick note to your friend Peter Walker through MySpace for y'all.

Cheers

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon. You're being one hell of an 'enabler'.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaaaayyyy! We may soon hear from Peter Walker, thanks to OG's and Gannon's efforts. Another Gar Wooder on his way to join us in our flashbacks. Maybe Peter will have enough brain cells still intact to add some lucidity to our conversations. Ha!

Gannon

Post Number: 14593
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Det313grrl, I'm already family.

I might be as excited about all this as YOU who directly experienced it.

I know 'Mike', too, and will approach him about this...he is greatly misunderstood most times. Over the past few months we've gotten to a fuller understanding of each other.

While I had a similar initial impression of the fellow when we first met as those earlier comments, I went WAY past that, and now feel quite strongly that he is basically a fine fellow who I am glad to consider an acquaintance on the way to being a friend.

He might be caught up in the same wrestling match that our photographer has with money, but I forgive most anyone that 'vice' in our horrible corporate capitalist society...if they prove themselves deeper over time! All of that merely proves MY dedication of 'people over money, always' to be the most honorable path...which IS basically the Hippy way, right?!

It is weird, well before this whole thread happened, he mentioned some mansion he had lived in back in the day...and was shocked I wasn't part of that scene. I had NEVER heard about it before then, and it hadn't registered when I saw the title of this thread.

Heck, until Det313grrl told me about this e-discussion, I hadn't even given it a glance. Ya cannot keep up with EVERYTHING on this damn board, even with the extreme amount of time I spend here!

Gannon

Post Number: 14615
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you are all sitting down...just got the reply from Mr. Walker.

He seems as tickled as the rest of you maniacs about this reunion.

Oh wait...that would be WE maniacs, heh.

I'm loving this...

Gannon

Post Number: 14619
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or...is it US?

Where are the grammar grannies and grampies when you need 'em?!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump - This thread MUST thrive!

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi everyone ,
just a quick recall from another old hippy,
this person does not have computer but wanted to know if anyone recalls the wild turkeys and the dogs?

also great going on the spring fling hippy thing , can't wait to see how young we all look .
just for fun we might have to make the event an afternoon thing some of us can't see past 9pm lol.
till next week
sunshine to all.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yes i forgot, does anyone remember how many bathrooms were
in the house and their locations ? and really how many bedroom?

Old_guy

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just remembered another name from the house. The big police dog, german shepherd's name was Jones.

My dog, which was kind of small, sort of a terrier mutt that I rescued from the Boulder Co. dog pound was named Puppy Dog. She was a great dog, but she was a real slut, (not that there's anything wrong with that.) One day I heard a bunch of noise coming from down in the basement. At the time, Gus and I were living in what I believe were the old servants quarters. There was a stairway that led to the basement from the kitchen in there. I went downstairs to see what all the noise was, and there was Puppy Dog and Jones, having sex.

Shortly after that, I needed a break from the house and hitched down to Tucson to get away from the cold weather for a while. I was there for a while and started to miss the life at the Garwood so I started to head back, via my thumb. When I got up to Flagstaff, an old guy in a beat up old Ford who was headed for Wisconsin picked me up and told me he could give me a ride as far as Chicago.

Now, I know this might be hard to believe, but I hadn't noticed anything odd about Puppy Dog other than she seemed to be putting on some weight. As we're passing through the panhandle of Texas, she starts having puppies. Right there, in this old guy's car. We were both just completely blown away, but he was OK with it. We stopped and got a cardboard box and he gave me an old blanket and we hit the road again. By the time we rolled through Tulsa, I had a dog and six puppies. And I was hitch hiking.

The guy that was driving, dropped me off just outside of Chicago in a late winter snowstorm at a gas station. I called some friends that had a farmhouse about 50 miles from there and they came and picked me up. I ended up staying with them for about six weeks until the pups were old enough to give away. They all grew up to be full sized German Shepherd mutts.

After that little side trip, I continued on my trip back to the Garwood. When I got back, that's when I saw the group photo that had been taken in front of the house. Missed being in it. I guess I must have been a little spaced out in those days.

Gannon

Post Number: 14659
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I flew the idea of this being held at the Bohemian National Home in the Springtime by my friend who owns it just a moment or two ago, and he is all for this happening there. They will ONLY be scheduling ONE event per month, so we've got to choose a date soon...and lock it down.

There will be kinks to work out, getting a temporary alcohol permit and the like, but NOT a problem...just details between the party organizers (of which I am NOT one, I am merely a facilitator or a networker, BIG difference) and him.

I'd like to check with John Sinclair, there really is NO way he should be missing this, either. While I hate to say it...it's looks like it could be a huge bash beyond a simple reunion, with a special BIG Garwood-only secluded room with a private bar for the re-unioners...and a few quieter rooms to go off and chat. The Bo House is pretty big.

The music and open bash would be in the ballroom on the second floor...that's how I envision this happening. A reunion AND a celebration of the rise of Hippiedom in the same fell swoop.

Maybe near the Spring Equinox? Who has a Moon Phase calendar handy...oh duh, our resident Astrologer, Det313grrl, takes this part...sorry.

Mr.BoHouse knows 'Mike' very well, too, and I'd really like to get him into the fold...he feels the same as I do about the guy. There is MUCH more than meets the eye with Mike, it gets better if you let it.

Cheers

Old_guy

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would also make it a perfect reunion would be having John Collier doing a book signing at it. Or, if nothing else, a gallery type showing. Or... even just stopping by to say hi.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2612
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you guy's don't forget your brethren up in the cold Bay City area. We had a cool thing happening at the same time, at the mansions on Center Ave.

And the Dunes rocked. :-)

Old_guy

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon for contacting Peter Walker. I see that he's performed at the BNH.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Group consesus here:
Anybody have any objection to anyone posting on this thread showing up for the re-blast? I sure don't!!

Gannon--your Bo House offer sounds great. Make sure your friend and Ruth get in contact. Nice lookin' out. Not real sure about the secluded room thing, though. Never seen the house. Got any info for me; location, description, web site?

OG-what a great story! I vaguely remember that gem.

Isle...thanks for the brain teaser. I'll take a shot at the beds and baths ?? but keep in mind these numbers are subject to change.
There were bathrooms off the entryway-1 ea.--left and right sides. Going upstairs to the master suite there was one immediately on the left-top of the stairs. Master suite had bathroom with huge shower (7 showerheads: don't remember a tub). Across the ballroom through the library before entering servants quarters or going upstairs was another full bath w/tub, shower, and bidet. Don't remember bathroom on 2nd floor and thought that was wierd because there were four bedrooms up there. Downstairs off the pool was another bathroom and showers like a locker room. That makes 7 bathrooms, 3 w/showers. Entryway, 2nd floor right was 2 bdrms. 2nd flr left had 1 bdrm>ante room (Fergies room)>master bedroom. across ballroom (right side of house) servants quarters (1st flr) and aforementioned 4 bdrms on 2nd flr. Attic and organ piperoom along with a secret space above a 2nd floor bdrm (right side) were generally considered permanant type sleeping rooms. Pool in basement had a great little room w/fireplace. Also fireplaces in ballroom (several people could stand in that one), pool table rm, and mstr bdrm.
7 bathrooms
11 bedrooms
3 custom sleeping areas
Anybody out there add anything?? Christ--that hurt!!

Old_guy

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, that's better than I could do. Good work. I still don't remember the phone booth people keep mentioning.

Old_guy

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BNH...http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/bohouse49.aspx

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG...Just took a quick look at web site.for Bo House. Freakin' great!! I don't remember a phone booth either. WAIT!! Oh no! I almost had it there.

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gang it is i Rocketwhit,

I think the idea of all posters is ok.

BO-House is great to being it has a ballroom.

Does anyone know who painted the spencers like posters on the walls of the second story bedroom overlooking the ballroom?

Phone booth is for real stood in it. It was to the right in the foyer to my remembrance.

Cool thing about the shower was the ingraving in the Italian marble, cold- tepid- scaulding.

Stnfrnt do you know how the hole in the ceiling of the ball room transpired, or anyone else know?

does anyone remember the bowling alley under the bridge?

Its going to be a large meeting i'm sure with the passionate threads i can't wait.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm getting goosebumps! Way cool. So SPRING! How about May? May, is good. 7 months to plan, I like it. We would need to get the BoHo reserved from what Gannon has been telling me.

Ruth, it was great speaking with you this weekend, I look forward to working with you, to plan this event.

Old_guy, great research, what a small world it is. The fact that Peter Walker HAS played the BoHo, is really cool.

Bigb23, love the bump! Keep the faith.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

morning all of you
since i will be out of tune for the next week
I just wanted to say Happy Birthday Day to Det313grrl,
who we all know will be just 29 ha ha ha . on Tuesday
Hope its a great fun day.

Gannon

Post Number: 14661
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, there is a cool, old phone booth at the BoHouse! I just remembered IT...by the front door that nobody uses, either.

It will be forgotten.

SAVE THE PHONE BOOTHS!

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This phone booth talk reminded me of a site I stumbled across a couple years ago. A group of people with a flair for the whimsical used to visit this phone booth out in the middle of the Mojave Desert. Just because it was there. It made the newswire and people from all over the world would call it to see if anyone would answer, and this group would go out and spend the night to answer this phone in case it would ring. One of the group called it and it was busy for an extended time, so he drove for hours to go hang the receiver back up. Kindred spirits, no?
Mojave Phone Booth