Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Lions Blackout « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I heard on the radio the Lions didn't sell out by their deadline and this weekend's game would be blacked out.

Good or Bad?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9093
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say neither.

It should be obvious to the Lions brass that their product isn't that good right about now from their record and fans are just reacting to it. If people think that this is a way to "send a message" to Mr. Ford, don't they think he already knows this? It's not like he isn't still making serious bank from this team for just being a part of the NFL already.

And yeah, I'd love it if this team was so good that there'd be a clamoring for seats to the game too.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It cracks me up how they consider this the first non sell out. Have all those club seats ever sold out?

Their product was never good enough to pull the club seat kind of premium price. It's now bad enough not to be able to pull normal seating prices.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been awhile, and maybe the rules have changed, but I believe that means we don't get any game at all during that time slot.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, no game.

Club seats are not counted.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares? It won't change anything. Ford won't "get the message". They will still lose on Sunday.

Now not selling out on Thanksgiving, THAT would raise some eyebrows; maybe not within the organization but the league may renew its efforts to bump the Lions from playing on turkey day.

Would it really hurt this team to sign Dante Culpepper?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9097
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Border5150, I really think that if no one showed up at any of the other games for the rest of the year- old man Ford isn't that ignorant to the fact that his team is a bust this year. He knows. And it's not like he's not willing to shell out the money for players in this salary cap era- he just doesn't do it properly. Yes, he fumbles around horribly but it's not for the lack of effort.

As far as the Thanksgiving Day game, it's one of the few football traditions that the NFL still hangs onto. I don't think the Lions would lose the game but it might call for other games to be played that day; other teams have been clamoring for that opportunity as well.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to sign Daunte Culpepper at this point but then why? Would he even get a chance to play or would he be a glorified clipboard holder?

I'd say the Lions number one priority is to play all of the youngsters right now, evaluate who might still have a future here and shuck the rest. Lord knows the last few years of drafting and talent evaluation under the dark Millen era was a total fiasco. Winning should not be a priority any more this year- it would still be nice but it's about talent evaluation now. It's the players' audition for next year or their next jobs now.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2710
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other teams do play in the 8pm game.

quote:

Now not selling out on Thanksgiving, THAT would raise some eyebrows

Why? The thanksgiving game has been blacked out before.

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...money is getting tighter. People have to be more selective with how they spend their discretionary income...
Can you blame anybody for not wanting to shell out big bucks to watch a consistent loser bad joke of a football team?? They are the laughingstock of all of football...blacking out the tv broadcast is probably doing everybody a favor!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 831
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should move back to Tiger Stadium. Just the right number of seats to ensure a sellout.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the old days we could pick up the blacked out games on a station out of Toledo here downriver. Had to use extra foil on the rabbit ears. The picture was snowey but you could at least see the game. Guess I'll have to listen to Van Patrick call the game on the radio.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get Van Patrick, it will be from a game from long ago when they were good. He's deader than the Lions are right now.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Downrivera, Don't forget Van's sidekick, Bob Reynolds! Ah, yes, Maybe I'll get a bottle of refreshing Goebels and two bottles of Tums and listen to the game on WJR.

I hope the Loins don't sell out again! Maybe then we can see NFL football instead of this Pop Warner Crap we've had to endure since old man Ford has owned the team.

The thing is, even before the Loins sell ONE seat, they've made money, so they really don't give a big rat's ass if they make any money selling tickets. The chumps that think they are getting to see NFL football and belly up to the ticket window and buy seats are the real losers. I won't buy tickets. I watch the Loins to laugh at them. Best comedy this year was watching Orlowsky run out of the end zone, and then the Loins losing by that safety...Typical Loins shit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.