Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood_Rex welcome to the forum. Greg passed away himself about 1 1/2 years ago. I remember Tim he was a great chess player.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4250
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Tim Larry O'Brian's son?

Zitro

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes he was

Jcole

Post Number: 4251
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny how I remember all those guys from the men's choir. I didn't realize I did until this thread got started.

Eastwood__rex
Username: Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, what street did you live on? I think I remember Joanne.

We used to enter the tunnel in the back of the convent, I don't recall an entrance into the convent though, not that I would have wanted to go there anyways. We usually just went to the church. We took the short cut a few times for choir practice. I remember it being pretty small.

Sorry to hear about Greg. All my buddies are leaving us, at very early ages. Makes you wonder if there was something in the water.

Tim played on NDs chess team for a while. Larry was very active in the choir until he died. Tim and his brother have recorded a few albums of Irish songs and one of sea ditties.

My dad (Clarence) was in the men’s choir until my parents moved, then he joined the choir in Mt. Clemens.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey z, you there? gotta say, last weekend was a trial for the old guy from laing. nuff said, lets rep the jets - sjs that is, not new york. and just wondering for everyone, i have been in the church since the redo - what did they do with the "overhang" that was over the old altar? i was always amazed at that.

12468_laing

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know if there was a knights of columbus council at st jude back in the day?

Zitro

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, welcome back. I used to marvel at that canopy too. I think when the church started to go modern that went by the way side. It would be interesting to know what happened to all that material

12468_laing

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guess this is for cfg - i know they put an elevator in the church - what did it displace? it's on the left side as you go into the church, right?

Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a K of C council on 7 mile west of Hayes. I don't know if it was St. Judes, but we used to go there for the fish fry on Fridays.

Zitro

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there's a pic on FB KR posted that shows a woman walking down the main aisle that shows the canopy in the background

12468_laing

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks eastwood_rex - i remember that now. i am a 4th degree member down here in tn now - always wondered about it up there. glad to have you as a member of sjs here.....................

Zitro

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You two are fellow Nashvillians ya know?

Eastwood_Rex for simplicity purposes it will be easier to call you ER if that's okay,
As has been mentioned to you there's is a St. Jude Facebook page. You will find quite a bit of choir memorabilia on there including a 63' St. Jude Calendar with the choir on the cover. I believe you and your dad are on there. Also, some of the Latin music we used to sing

(Message edited by zitro on October 20, 2008)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the elevator: left is right. BTW, glad to see you back, Laing.

I think much of the marble was used in the making of the new altar area, but it is best to defer this to Cfg, our resident expert, our boots on the ground, our eyes and ears.

Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small world. I went to my first latin Mass in a long time in downtown Nashvile yesterday. Brought back many memories.

What's the link to the Facebook site?

Zitro

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This link will allow you access to the pics and videos, if you want to reply to the pics you will have to join, but it's not necessary,

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213?ref=ts

12468_laing

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

er, where in nashville are you? i am in old hickory and go to St. Stephen's on Lebanon Rd between Davidson Co and Wilson Co - you must have gone to St. Mary's - that was the first cathedral in Nashville. i don't know the website for st jude, but if you google it and go to the home page, you can access the facebook page. for all of you, i have accessed it through my son's id - he doesn't know i know his password, so I guess i need to arrange a confession sometime, :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: I think your being paged!

Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Zitro

Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in Smyrna TN. St. Mary’s is an awesome old church. They only have 31 parishioners, hard to imagine it's still open. I usually go to St. Rose in Murfreesboro. I like the older cathedral style churches. The ones that look like a shopping mall just aren't the same.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm here. Laing, if you need to confess, I'm available via Facebook or e-mail. Or here, for that matter. Just depends on your need for privacy. Most here advocate public confession. And public ridicule and abuse, of course.

Fr. EB

ER, just in case you missed it, I'm the resident faux priest. Would have been a real one if they hadn't tossed me out of the seminary all those years ago.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did they toss you out, EB?

Jcole

Post Number: 4267
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just plain meaness, right, EB?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply stated, I resisted discipline & authority. If they had a rule, I broke it. My classic escapade was snagging the keys to the old army surplus stake truck we drove on the woods crew. I loaded the back of the truck with a bunch of kids & took off down the driveway ala "One Flew Over the Cuckoos' Nest". (Well before the movie came out)

Fr.Superior's exact word's were "Jack, we feel it would be better for you, and for the school, if you were to leave."

7andkelly

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coulda used ya, EB. Would have made for some interesting Masses and homilies. And to think, today, they'd be begging you to stay: "Jack, what a spontaneous person you are. We do hope you are enjoying your stay".

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go Eastburn! A rebel after my own heart. I used to try to get away with not wearing that horrid uniform in school. I even had my mom cut the top part of the jumper off and make me some cool knitted vests to wear. I would wear a white t neck instead of the regulation white blouse and that always got me in trouble. I saw the interior of Sr. Pat's office a lot.

12468_laing

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eastwood, i know your church - had my 1st degree for the knights there - were you there when fr. sterling mguire was there? i knew him when he was at holy rosary in donelson. when did you grad sjs? i grad there in 71 and my sister was class of 69. i go to st stephens in old hickory/mt juliet. we just built the church we are in now - my wife and i were chairs to raise the capital for it - not like a conventional church - it is a church "in the round", like we had before. i still like the old churches, but there is something good to be said for the newer ones - much more personal. would like to touch bases with ya.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not 100% sure..but I thought the pillars from the old altar canopy were used in the present day iconoclasts.. I will of course defer to cfg for verification

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood_rex: We lived on Manning between Hayes and Gratiot and more closely between Queen and Monarch. . I've got a pic of my childhood home on Facebook. I have a couple family pics I need to scan and upload there, too.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The K of C council west of Hayes was the LaSalle Council....always had a good fish fry especially during lent