Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4270
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think St. Jude had its own council. My dad belonged to the Police council.
Z, did some of the men's choir wear those hats and capes K of C guys wear once in a while? I seem to remember that for some reason.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not recalling that one, I'll go through some of the old SJ Calendars when I get the chance to see if there are any references to meetings etc.

Zitro

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what the WIMAKI Group was all about?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Women In Michigan Against Kwami's Incarceration?

Jcole

Post Number: 4273
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, I'm at a loss. I tried to think of a comeback, but I just can't come up with a thing. You've left me speechless.
ROFLMFAO

Zitro

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one 7!

Zitro

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully it's a small group

Jcole

Post Number: 4275
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, a group of about 4. Mama, Carlita, Sharon and Christine, who only wants him out of prison so he can take some of the heat.

Zitro

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably can add Barbara Rose, Martha & Monica to the list but that's about it.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yukukukuk" - Popeye

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes1q I've been gone 2 weeks and the questions, they keep on comin'! I am helping with the Novena at St. Jude - it started yesterday and will end on his feastday the 28th. Great Mass, Benediction and Novena.
I have to read all the questions, but in brief answers - don't know what happened to the canopy -the elevator didn't take place of anything but wall - and it is on the left when you walk in - and the Marble from the old altar was used to make the new altar. I will get more "detailed" info tonight. I'm sure no one will "cop" to the location of the canopy! talk to you all later! Still 200 e-mails behind!

Jcole

Post Number: 4283
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, you're the 'hardest working woman in church biz.' Thanks

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love helping St. Jude Parish and have really gotten more involved these past 2 years. I think it's the new pastor and a feeling of coming home -it's been great catching up with you all here too!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Cfg, on the first day of the Novena, you had a Mass, Benediction and Novena prayers. I assume that also included the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. Correct? What is the agenda (and schedule) for the remaining days? It is possible someone reading this might be inclined to participate.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - the schedule and agenda remain the same each day of the novena. The Mass starts at 7pm on the remaining weekdays (10/22,23,24,27,28) followed by Benediction, Novena and Exposition. The Benediction, Novena and Exposition will also take place on the weekends -after the 4pm Mass on Saturday and after the 9 and 11 am Masses on Sunday. Absolutely ALL are welcome and encouraged to attend. CFG will be at her usual post selling candles, etc., and could quite possibly be a lector - or whatever other help is needed at the celebration. It's an awesome end to a workday - and an incredible opportunity. We have the St. Jude Statue on the main altar steps, where lit candles can be placed, petitions put in a basket at St. Jude's feet - and a relic of St. Jude is on a table in front of the statue for veneration.

Zitro

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ER: If you talk to Tim O'Brian anytime soon or know an e-mail you might want to pass this along. Notre Dame is giving away all of it's trophies on a first come basis. Most of the sports one's have been scarfed up, but there are quite a few chess championship one's remaining but I don't think they are going to be hanging on to them for too much longer. If he was involved in any of these he might be interested.

http://www.friendsofnotredame. com/gallery/thumbnails.php?alb um=27&page=1

Jcole

Post Number: 4296
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, Barry Maurer was probably involved in some of those chess trophies. I wonder if there are any debate or forensic ones for 71-74 in there

Zitro

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some debate trophies in there, but I wasn't aware we had any CSI studies at that time.

Jcole

Post Number: 4300
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forensics is public speaking in various categories.
I was third place winner in Humorous Interpretation in 1973 in the DCL city-wide championship. I went to Chicago for nationals.
So there.

(Message edited by jcole on October 23, 2008)

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole--That's fantastic. Do you still have your speech? And how did you place in the nationals?

Jcole

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tanked in the nationals. I was having to good of a time partying in Chicago.
In the Interpretive categories, you didn't write your own speeches, you chose previously written pieces to 'interpret'. If I remember correctly, in humorous you chose two. I did an Erma Bombeck essay,'Captain Daddy', and a Woody Allen piece, 'Yes, but can the steam engine do THIS?'

Zitro

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you get a trophy?

Jcole

Post Number: 4305
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so, but I did get a certificate.
It was the Detroit Catholic Forensics league. They probably didn't want us to get swelled heads by giving us a tangible reward. Also, trophies cost money

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things you never knew about your friends - that's great J. Somehow, I can picture you as an on -stage speaker - I remember how shy you used to be! hahahahahhah

Jcole

Post Number: 4307
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was me, a blushing flower of a child, to quiet to put together two words. :D

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've sensed that's your true nature. Too timid to speak your mind about anything

Jcole

Post Number: 4309
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I'm glad someone understands me.

Diane12163

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try looking those up and reading them. I've always liked Erma Bombeck. I'm not much of a Woody Allen fan but, some of his stuff could be funny.

I know about trophies costing. I'm on a popular poetry website and have been recognised by them. They want me to pay for my awards that they give for work I've done. Also, they wanted me to pay to go to LV to read my poetry aloud and be qualified for the big prize. If I didn't show, I was taken out of the big prize eligibility. I don't see Oscar winners having the same fate nor have they ever had to pay for their awards.

Ok. Got down, put soap box away and all calm again. :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do post one of your poignant poems, Diane.

Diane12163

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You 7andkelly. Thank you very much. I wrote this one in hopes it would be set to music:
THE LAST TEN MINUTES OF THE FILM
I saw him in an olde cinema picture
It was frayed at the edges
Crumpled threads crawled-scatalogical
The lines of time marched-syncopated
He was in sepia and a pinkish creme
Smiling and yet wanton-subtle
His eyes gave pause
As he seemed just about to say
I love you--I've always loved you
I want you--no one else will do
I need you--you are my oxygen