Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through October 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14719
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Ruth, I apologize for the BoHouse owner, he's been in the middle of a firestorm at a restaurant he also has a significant investment in...trying to recover from some mismanagement and such...I know because I've been with him in this adventure.

I'm surprised by Thursday now...and have no idea how I got here, with all this stress and more physical work then I've endured in a decade these past three days have vaporized!

I'll make sure to ask him after our lunch rush tomorrow to get back with you.

Cheers

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth, here is the link to the bed and breakfast I mentioned to you. I'm not sure if it's more economical or not, but if we do decide to utilize the BoHo, the www.woodbridgestar.com is only about 5 minutes away.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 386
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks grrl. There used to be two B&B's on Sixth Street right near the Lodge. One was off the corner of Sixth, across from the firehouse converted to law offices. It's backyard formed the corner of Sixth and Michigan. The other was across Sixth Street, a few doors away. Carey owned and operated it. I don't know if either survives as a B&B.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll check out both of them next time in the neighborhood.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth..my brother thinks we should find a friendly farmer with a big barn somwhere around AA. Something about escape routes. I'll check with Robin Welch on his schedule/trip. Nice lookin' out, there. Gary Markley ha been found!! Got leads on Eugene Skuratowicz, Carl Sonnenberg, Mark Hoover.

OG..like you, I remember the plank but I don't remember why. Where was photographer standing when picture was taken? Had to be the tree point.
Big chimney is boiler. Smaller one is ballroom. On the other side of the house would have been another big chimney to handle fireplaces in mstr bdrm, pool table room, and downstairs room off pool. Vertically in line; one on each level. Great photo!!

KEEP IT COMING SPORTS FANS!!!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, that's a great idea if you're serious. I could post on Craigslist for a barn in the A2/Ypsi area. I knew of one a few years ago that was used occasionally for small jazz concerts and shakespeare dinners. It was actually two barns, facing each other at right angles. I'm not sure I remember exactly where they're at or if they'd work at any time of year (heating/cooling?). I just thought of another barn at the A2 County Farm Park. It's in the city though and escape routes might be difficult. There are woods nearby where you could hide out briefly until the copters showed up.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Markley, Skuratowicz, Hoover. Can Breeze be far behind? I can just imagine his scratchy, laryngital voice, his s@*t eatin' ear to ear grin and Wile E.Coyote snicker, laugh - "Heeeey,.......whaaattt's happenin'?"

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could handle a road trip for a good breakfast.
fleet - 125.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, that's about two bottles of wine from the front door of the Garwood to the Fleetwood @ about 70mph.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG...CORRECT-A-MUNDO!!

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1klsn..run with it, bro. If there's any big water around a sailboat could play real well. Got to find Brian "Cap'n Nemo" Mcdonald. If Dgrl is posting see if he's in the phone book. That's how my brother found Gary Markley---real low tech stuff works too.

OG.. where the hell are you coming up with all these great pics?? They're great. I want more!!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a good strong lead on Cap'n McDonald. I'll report back soon.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just spoke to Brian 'Capn Nemo' McDonald. Really what happened is I got off my butt, checked my phone books, made some phone calls and found him right where I knew he was. He'll be posting here soon. YAY! Gotta go. More later.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea of the farm too. I'll check on it with a few of my A2 friends. BoHouse isn't out yet - I just haven't heard back from anyone about the price.

We could always meet for one party in Detroit then those of us with Ann Arbor connections could move on for another evening there.

Larry - do you remember the house at the end of Morgan road where A2 studies once stood? Well it's GONE - completely gone. I went by a few weeks ago and there isn't one building still standing - just flat land. A real shock.

Is G Markly still in Ann Arbor - do you think he could find Dave Pickard?

Old_guy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more, and then I'll get back within the Detroit city limits. This was about 2 bottles of wine, 6 bowls & 3 or 4 tooies/beaners, depending on preferences from the Garwood front door.
floods.gif

Did Ruth say that there is a tram in Detroit?
Good work on the locating, folks.
(Unidentified photographer.)

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...a question to any one of you who lived there, how many people actually resided there full-time at once in the 40 plus(?) 10-12 bedroom mansion??

I read here that the rent was $600 a month...divided up between how many tenants?

How long/many years did all the hippies occupy the place?...and what was the reason it finally all broke up??

just curious.

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Gar Wooders,

It is i Rocketwhit,

Sorry to have not posted in a few, But i have had to undergo heart cath but the good news is no blockage can be treated with meds.

So my vote is either or, on bash or small crash.
It's the idea of getting together with live music for me because it would be somewhat timid without it.

I also agree with stone lets not get negitive.

We do need some sort of registration or signup to incure priceing.

I think 2 day gathering. 1 for dinner and chat 1 for music and fun, maybe reverse order i'm open.

Our country and our communities could bennifit from our reunion, our spirit, our love, because i remember my Gar Wood gang as lovers of people and life. So it's a big thing to me.

I thankyou all for what ever help you can give. And if you have Gar Wood stapled to your sub- concious and cant help organise i want you there regardless.

Just have my credentials ready please. That's a great keepsake idea.

Looking forward to what- ever m!@#$R-F!@#$%G ever.

It is i Rocketwhit

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gang, I got the Cobblestone Farms barn price and details sheet today. The prices might be prohibitive for a small party. Food would have to be catered, the kitchen is strictly for warming and prepping - not cooking. The barn's a great facility, completely rebuilt from top to bottom. I've attended many events there myself, but it's in the middle of the city - nowhere to run and hide. My brother will sponsor us for A2 resident price. He'll probably attend having been a Gar Wooder himself, albeit a very young one. I'll email the details soon.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth..am in touch with Markley..he has a line on Dave Piccard. He and my brother are having trouble posting...URL problems. How could I forget the house on Morgan Road? Did tons of recording in Morgan Studios. Figured it was gone by now. Ran into Scott Richard (SRC) out here at Butr Lancaster's grandaughter's house. He was shacking up with her; reading movie scripts along side the pool for some studio or another. What a joke. He wouldn't even say hi. Broke my heart.

Jarvo..to the best of my knowledge (ya, right!) there were 10 or 12 hardcore residents at the house most of the time in th 5 yrs I was there, although I can remember times when there were only 4 or 5 of us there. It varied, depending on whether or not anyone hitch hiked around the country for a while (re:-OG's previous post of Oct 18), went to jail a little bit or whatever. People always came back. When Gus and I moved in I think Breeze, Mark Hoover, and "attic" Chris were the only guys there. Little did I know!!
You are correct..$600 was the rent and we collected a couple dollars from people at the door during parties. Every month I would drive to downtown Detroit and go up to Manny Harris's high rise office and plunk down $600 in one dollar bills on his desk, ask him if everything was cool, and split. I think he got a kick out of the whole thing. Never bothered us about anything..think he just let sleeping dogs lie. By the way--BIKERS NEVER EVER LIVED AT THE GARWOOD MANSION! That story in the Detroit Free Press was then, is now, and always will be total, unadulterated, world class bullshit!!

OG..another fine photo, my friend, and I have come to admire your method of determining distances travaled.

ATTENTION!! I have no problem giving the whole world my e-mail address but that doesn't mean I can pass on other people's addresses just willy-nilly. Got to respect the anonymity thing but in the course of our efforts to track down other Garwooders and friends...how should we handle that? Just checking.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG..I don't know how that little yellow thing got there. I swear.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, you keep coming up with these gems. I love the photo. Mr. Floods was one of my all-time favorite bars. I have a post card photo of it somewhere. I'll post or email it to you. I've bought a dozen copies of that card to give to friend's that hung out at Flood's with me over the years. Floods closed in the late 80's or early 90's. I used to go there a lot after sailing on lakes around A2 - Silver Lake, Half Moon, Portage. I could easily park my car, trailer and boat nearby (no way could you do that nowadays). They always had good bands and a friendly crowd and staff - almost always. I was there with friends from Detroit one night. We were blotto. The band was playing and we were sitting in old office chairs with casters at the wooden bench tables. We decided to dance in our chairs - rolling around the floor wildly. The doorman warned us to stop. We stopped for a while then started careening wildy about the room again. They tried to throw us out. It almost got ugly because our girls started on the doormen. Anyway, we made a break for it and layed low from Flood's for a while. Do you remember the huge aquarium behind the bar? The very old, classic jukebox (gutted) inside the front door that had a new stereo system inside? The bands played in the small area in the front window until later the stage was moved to the back of the room. Russell Simmon's Bands were regulars at Flood's and they still play around town today.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding emails and phones: Stone, you're correct, we can't post other's information. I spoke to Capn' Nemo today and I was tempted to post his number. I know everyone is excited to contact old friends. He'll post here when and what he wants. I'm thinking that Detroit313grrl and Ruth know most of us, maybe they'd act as a clearing house? It could be as simple as each of us sending our email and them forwarding it until we're all connected. Not much work involved there.

Ruth

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm up for collecting the addresses if only to coordinate things for a get-together. I've posted my direct email before but here it is again - ruthhoff@uiuc.edu. I'll just make a full list and will share addresses only when told it's OK. So as you all become more assured that I can be trusted to maintain your anonymity, please send me your stats. That would be name, email, phone and address. And as you talk to people directly, ask them to send me their information as well. This will also give me an idea of how many people to plan on for the reunion - and how many people will have to come in from out of town.
Does that work for everyone? If you have another idea, please let us know.
Good night

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Stnfrnt, you hung out, or played with the Scott Richards Case? I remember seeing them many times round town at the local venues...mostly at the Grande...i never really felt they were too great...mostly thought of them as a "cover band" and was always baffled that they were the "headliner" at the shows I saw them at.
Once with Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes and another of the bands on the bill was John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers...both of the opening bands just made SRC seem like they really sucked...
Those were the days! you could see 4 or 5 decent bands on the same bill from 7 pm till 2 o'clock in the morning for a measly $6 ticket.

anyway, did SRC ever show up or play at the Garwood?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14728
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for your snub, Stnfrnt, but once somebody sells their soul...simply seeing anyone from their past reminds them of this fact.

You hurt HIM way more than he did you, but simply showing up in his world may help him wake up and mortgage to buy that errant soul back!

Do the reunion party at the BoHouse, folks, 1Kielson should pay it a visit to check out the privacy on the first floor from the tumult that would obviously be happening in the ballroom...it really is a great venue for this. I forgot to talk with the fella I know who owns it...I'll see him again today.

There is just TOO MUCH poetry having it there...too many echoes from the past you all share.

Cheers

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey yall....I think i got this thing figured out had to start all over and sign up wioth different e-mail provider.........I have been following all postings and passed a few thoughts through my bro.....it is great that all the interest is begining to take shape.....as for location, it is not an issue as long as we get to spend time with each other and let what evolves just go ahead and evolve....A2 has advantages for travelers since airport is close bu and a lot of us core Gar Wooders transfered to A2 after leaving the mansion...am also in favor of inviting all who frequented the mansion but didnt live there someone refered to themself as a 'hanger on' in earlier posting....with the exception of Alice Cooper folks i cant think of any one who was turned away from our door...whether it was me, a GI just home from Nam and trying to convince Hoover that stnfrt was my brother and was expecting me, to the guy that Breeze brought home when he got out of jail (cant remember his name)or OG who thumbed his way from who knows where with Gus.... It may help ruth with planning if we let her know how many we will be showing up with and any artifacts we are willilng to bring (photos, tapes, what ever) I am so looking forward to this "TRIBAL GATHERING" cant wait.....till later
yall go and do good things

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G1..the guys name was Wally. Nancy and I had just moved into yhe servants' quarters and he said he was a housepainter. Asked me what my favorite color was and when I came back from a road trip I had a beautiful blue/white trim place to hang my grey hat up in. (ala J.P.)

Hey, man, youv'e got to run your Alice Cooper episode by the folks here.

If anybody has any tapes or cds of Stonefront please try to get copies to me. I'm touching base with Robin Welch and they would be greatly appreciated for myspace. I'll cover all costs. Thanks.

Ruth

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt - I've got the original reel to reel from which I transcribed your tunes. I sent a copy to Robin about a year ago. I still have the reel to reel AND a working reel to reel player.
Also have the CD copy and will most assuredly bring them to our gathering.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for yes on prop 1 -

Old_guy

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G1, good to hear from you again.
1KD, I still can't put a face to you yet. It sounds like maybe we were there at different times, but I'm sure our paths must have crossed. The stories you have about Johnny Winters, Edgar and Rick D. are spot on, and I remember a few things you mentioned that tell me we were there on the same nights. My curiosity about Isle is also growing. I'm sure we've all got more elaborate details about some of those days at the house that will have to be saved for the reunion. I know I do.

On a side note, do you remember if the waitresses at Flood's wore roller skates or was that a different bar. I got booted out of there on numerous occasions. No hard feelings about it because that's what always happened to me back then. Rebel without a cause syndrome. There was a lot of action in the basement too. I always just drifted over to the Second Chance. I guess I thought that was where it got its name. After getting booted from Floods, there was always a second chance.

By the way, bumps to Lowell, this is an incredible site.