Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Bravo, Bravo (My fingers are snapping and I'm wearing a beret in a smoked filled coffee house). Wonderful poetry (prose)...seriously

(Message edited by kellyroad on October 23, 2008)

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kellyroad. That means the world to me. I need to put them on FB. Oh, btw do you think you could post a pic of you on FB or something as your profile pic?

Here's Another Poem:
MY DREAM PILLOW
When I sleep perchance to dream
I float away on clouds of cream
To faraway and exotic lands
Being held in your hands
Through the mosques and citadel
Into the villages where the natives dwell
Mountains and beckoning trees
Lakes, rivers and enormous seas
Over all this I fly with you
Together in my dream we two

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice poem, Diane.

KR, In my interpretation, the music this would be set to is not the finger snapping to type. I'm thinking more Gone With the Wind ish.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I made it to the St. Jude Novena and Mass this evening. It was a joyous, Spirit filled event!

Fr. Liberty said the Mass which was followed by the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, the Benediction, and the St. Jude Novena prayers.

As an extra bonus, it was my great priviledge to meet two very nice ladies from my old neighborhood whom I haven't seen for such a long, long time. Some of you might know them from St. Jude School, or maybe Campfire Girls. Today, they are very nice, hard working, dedicated helpers to St. Jude Parish.

Diane12163

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you 7andkelly. I had thought a rock ballad with snipets of 30's-40's movie music interspersed. Truthfully, I would be in 7th Heaven if David Bowie would sing this as the way I wrote it represents a juxtaposed style reticent of his work.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: The finger snapping is of beatnik style...instead of applause...like Jack Kerouac or James Dean in rebel without a cause or perhaps Maynard G. Krebs...Can you dig man?
Can you dig the scene man? I mean Diane doin what she do man? with the words man. It's a scene man. Can you dig it?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Are you at liberty (no pun intended) to mention the two very nice ladies from the old neighborhood?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - shame on you - we shall always remain anonymous! :-)
It was a wonderful novena evening - and a delight to meet 7K and wife. It was a joyous, spirit filled event - and one that is often repeated at St. Jude. Wish you all could have been there!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gas is $2.34 in my cornpone neck o' the woods this morn!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the way in, we stopped at Papa's Coney Island, FKA Tastee's, FKA, Tastee Freeze. In some ways it was much as I remember it. In fact, I think the booths, and window facing counter tops are the same, and the local kids still like to eat there. The most notable difference is the thick counter to ceiling glass separating the customers from the servers, with a little revolving tray to pass money and food from one side to the other. And the bar stools along the window counter are in definite need of reupholstering.

But the hamburgers were delicious, and they are very generous with the french fries when you order the deluxe. The panoramic view from our booth was spectacular! Across Mcormick was my old Dentist, Dr. Shipko's office. On the west side of Kelly we could see Dunn's Inn, FKA Jay's, FKA Paper Station, FKA..., a nice new Wendy's and an Autozone where Calcaterra's used to be. At the southwest corner of 7andkelly, were some of my old favorite stomping grounds including the now vacant Colonial Bank, the old bakery with the delicious giant sugar cookies, and the party store, which I believe is currently open under new ownership.

It also looks to me like the dining area and restrooms for Tastee's were merely added on to the old walk-up Tastee Freeze building.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4314
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your 'cornpone' comment just made me think of Li'l Abner.
Senator Jubilation T. Cornpone

Zitro

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've you ever come through here I've got an extra bushel of straws to hang on the side of your mouth so you don't look like tourists

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry CFG, I won't do it again. When's confession?

Jcole

Post Number: 4315
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, do we need to pack flannel shirts, or will those be available also?

Zitro

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as red flannel agrees with you we've got plenty

Jcole

Post Number: 4316
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Red Flannel Hash, so I should be fine

7andkelly

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wholesale price of gas is 1.49. If that holds, we should see pump prices back in the ones sooner than later...another stimulus package I have pre-spent in anticipation.

Wish I had better news about my 201K and CryRA.

Diane12163

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah reckons ah'll have ta go git me a pair o oshkoshbegoshes if'n ah'm gonna go ter yer neck o th' woods Zitro. hey, yew got some a dat der moonshine in yer holler? :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sur do der Daisy Mae

Jcole

Post Number: 4318
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they have 'hollers' in Iowa, do they?
I thought it was more like this:

"Oh, there's nothing halfway
About the Iowa way to treat you,
When we treat you
Which we may not do at all.
There's an Iowa kind of special
Chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.
We've never been without.
That we recall.
We can be cold
As our falling thermometers in December
If you ask about our weather in July.
And we're so by God stubborn
We could stand touchin' noses
For a week at a time
And never see eye-to-eye.
But what the heck, you're welcome,
Join us at the picnic.
You can eat your fill
Of all the food you bring yourself.
You really ought to give Iowa a try."

Zitro

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see Detroit in the national spotlight again. Thanks KK & CB

Jcole

Post Number: 4319
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to credit Meredith Wilson with the above lyrics.

Zitro

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shhhsh TS/Diane, we want to keep what we have going on here a secret.

(Message edited by zitro on October 24, 2008)

(Message edited by zitro on October 24, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 4321
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the last verse:

Townspeople:
You really ought to give Iowa
Hawkeye Iowa
Dubuque,
Des Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown,
Mason City, Keokuk, Ames
Clear Lake
Ought to give Iowa a try!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - not to worry - I hardly think I'm anonymous to most folks out here anyway!
Crazy, day, so once again you all have brightened up the spirits considerably - and i for one love red flannel and would welcome the opportunity for red flannel, a straw hangin' out my mouth - and a nice rocker on the porch over looking the corn fields.
J - LOVE the Iowa cheers!
and Z - I sure have gotten behind on the scoops out here! I need to catch up on my reading!

Diane12163

Post Number: 416
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops sorry Z. My bad.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meredith Wilson...wasn't she on Petticoat Junction?

Jcole

Post Number: 4323
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, HE wrote music. That's from The Music Man
He also wrote the University of Iowa's fight song and Iowa State University's "For I for S Forever".

(Message edited by jcole on October 24, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: You're thinking of Benji

7andkelly

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I don't like that poem. I find it both insensitive and offensive to Iowans and other midwesterners...not to mention the run on sentences and other grammatical irregularities and dalliances. Hopefully, he wasn't paid for that scatological dung.