Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG---Gee, did you get any goofy looks? I mean being in the basement in Hudson's in men's underwear and all. :-)

Did anyone used to eat at the Lemon Tree right outside the basement door there? I used to have lunch there a lot because it was convenient and the food was great. I also loved the Maurice Salad in the Hudson's restaurant and used to sit by the railing so I could look down at the mall goers.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Some People Call Me Maurice Rocket Richard Salad at Hudson't was their trademark. I think I saw on this forum somewhere where the recipe was posted. I know my mother had it and made it pretty close to theirs.

(Message edited by zitro on October 27, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4360
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up until Macy's took over, you could still get the Maurice at Marshall Field. I don't like Macy's so I don't go there and I don't know if they kept the salad in their restaurant.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's was my third job - already had worked at Indian Village cleaners and as a receptionist at a doc's office in the Fisher building. Doc's office during high school summers - and cleaners after school. Hudsons job after Indian Village and then after graduation, worked simultaneously at Home Insurance downtown at the Book Building - BEFORE it's Grand Reopening. Gratiot Bus to Home Ins - and work from 8-4 - bus to 7 mile where the car was parked - then on to Eastland to work 5-9 - or 10 if it was Christmas time. Needless to say, I've been working with a few weeks off each year for good behavior for many decades.
and working in mens underwear was quite a conversation starter.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's Eastland, contingent Christmas 1973: book store 1st floor, Men's wear 1st floor, Toy dept 4th floor, electronics 3rd floor, Linens 4th floor. The Pursuit of Excellence training program:... The customer is always right.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's circa 1967 pre-mall era.

Jcole

Post Number: 4362
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I must have seen you. I went over to Hudsons at least once a week all of 72 and 73 and hung out in the book dept or the make up counters on the 1st floor next to the escalators.
Do you remember those kinetic motion toys you carried in Books? I bought my boyfriend one for his birthday from there. I might have gotten it from you.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Photo Quiz with a different twist: If you are a frequent photo quiz participant and winner (you know who you are) I ask that you hold off for 2 days and allow others a chance ro recognize the 2 photos below. Where and What?? (Both photos are on St. Jude parish grounds)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: I had an aunt who purchased one of those bouncing steel ball kinetic toys way back in the 60s. I'm not sure if it taught me anything about kinetic energy or turned my mind into mush, but it was very cool back in the day. BTW, 1973 was the year Hudson's featured hot item for Christmas was a pet rock. Remember them?....a shiny rock packaged in shredded paper and placed in a box about the size of a chinese take out container and selling for about five dollars. That was the same year Hudson's was selling the Texas Instrument SR-10 calculator (four function with square roots and scientific notation...that's it) for $120 (down from the $150 initial cost).......Does anyone still have a pet rock?
The book store at Hudson's on the 8 Mile side was the only book store at Eastland (or was there one across from Kresge?) until the mall enclosed and B.J. Dalton opened up. Does anyone remember a bookstore at Eastland other than Hudson's back when Eastland was outdoors?

Jcole

Post Number: 4363
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, do you remember a Dave Hammers from ND? I think he graduated in 72 or 73. He had an older brother who graduated before he did, and was in an industrial accident at his summer job during college. Something fell on him, and he became a quadrapalegic. I think it was at one of the steel companies. I know they sued and got a huge settlement.
Ring any bells?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - did you work with Tom Soviar or work in the "That Guy" dept. with Helen and Annette? We were all "contingents" there at the same time. I was a 'signer' one Christmas - Gold pen on the name tag and all! Remember those old registers that actually had big buttons and you had to hand write out all of the receipts and then "certify" them in the register?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't 73 the year of the "Mood Ring" too - I think I still have that somewhere!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Dave graduated in 1973 (Juggler yearbook). I did not know him or any of his brothers.

Jcole

Post Number: 4364
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I never had a Pet Rock, but I do remember them.

CFG, I still have my mood ring too. It must have been either 73 or 74.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: My stint a Hudson's was only during the Christmas season (about a month)..I bounced around from department to department and didn't get to know the personnel. It was a great experience however. Remember very well those cash registers with the big buttons and manually sliding customer's Hudson's charge card for a store copy (that took a little practice)

http://www.super70s.com/Super7 0s/Culture/Fads/Mood_Ring.asp
http://www.super70s.com/Super7 0s/Culture/Fads/Pet_Rocks.asp

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - I'm going to look for that tonight - it would be a good biofeedback tool to use at work!
KR - Yes, I remember sliding those credit card things too -and we had the green snappy case where we kept the new charge slips. I remember getting assigned to the rainbow store and the "new" electric cash registers! hahahahaha

Diane12163

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pic #1---In the courtyard. A stairway that went to the basement of I think the Gym. this would have been the courtyard that conjoined the school and gym.

Pic #2---The furnace(or boiler) room in the basement of the gym. or it could have been in a smaller semi-basement of the school itself. I don't think the school had a full basement.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: right on Pic#2

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Electric cashregisters!..you were in the "new" era.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn's resume:

1955 - 57: Detroit Times route
1958 - 61: Woods crew, Divine Heart Seminary
1961 - 63: Tina's Pizza, Harper & Cadieux
1963 - 64: J. L. Hudson, downtown, night audit dept.
1964 - 67: Northwest Honda/BMW (bikes, not cars)
1967 on: Real jobs

2008 on, maybe welfare if the market continues on course.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what a Peschke Packing Company "night billing clerk" is, but what is a "night audit department"?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, since I am not technically "a frequent photo quiz participant and winner", I could just answer this. But I won't since this is most likely on one of my videos on FB (hint hint).

Diane12163

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have the Hudson's Maurice Salad recipe on www.askyourneighbor.com with Bob Allison and you can even listen to the show online streaming 9-11am M-F.

And as for Pic #1----I'll recant my last guess and say it was a stairway which if you were in the square area around the 8th grade side of the school(Maddeline) was on the right side if you were looking down the corridor between the school and gym. Go in the parking lot there and stand right at the entrance to the squared in area and look forward and on the right side is the stairway and it leads to a storage area or a utility area under the school.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We ran around the store after closing & cleared the tapes out of the registers.

Diane12163

Post Number: 427
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pic #1----It is outside of where room 100 was, the room the conjoined the lower grade and upper grade areas of the school in that little square area when you went out the red framed door. It is connected to the school and not the gym.

Hey---can I pick my prize if I win? If so, I want a schooldesk from Room 121. 121 because that's my birthday 1/21/63.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, when you identify the picture correctly and if it's possible ot obtain a school desk from a closed school you most certainly can have your prize. Your birthday is just around the corner so don't delay. GOOD LUCK

Diane12163

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was just joking

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Diane just raised my curiosity. Are there any plans for the school building and/or its artifacts? It would be a shame to see all those desks and equipment not being used.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No plans for the school as of this date - that I am aware of. As far as the desks, equipment, etc., many of those items have been given to schools and other worthy organizations.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a thought, Cfg, but since MCREST is having so much difficulty getting approval for their permanent shelter out at 15 and Gratiot, maybe it would be best to donate it to them. Also, I really want to see the gym used as a soup kitchen in extension of the food pantry. Once a month to start, and then maybe every Saturday...four hours...it would be fun.