Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get it now, EB..."night auditor"...I guess the job would attract more applicants with that title than it would with "night tape fetcher".

7andkelly

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, Sr. Leonita is watching and LEADing you from above the Sky down here BELOW, so let's be FRANK, and Stop MAINTENANCE of nit picking. There's no ROOM for that.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - Hopefully, folks like Mcrest and others who do works for the poor have contacted the ADOD and inquired about the property and their ability to finance and utilize this space and facilities. It would be awesome if someone would step forward to provide the funding to support maintenance, security and logistics - I'm sure we could provide the volunteer assistance.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane's post regarding "ask your neighbor" website with Bob Allison prompted another fond memory. Many of us in the St. Jude parish area may remember the WWJ ancillary broadcast booth at Eastland by the garden center (right by the hippo). Anyway, Bob Allison use to broadcast from that area on occasion.
Does anyone remember the WWJ broadcast booth at Eastland?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Your reply is exactly why a 2 day moratorium was requested.....but thanks for the hints,

7andkelly

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, you're welcome. It is apparent you are grading based on a Sr. Celestine standard, and not the Sr. Ann Rochelle one I follow, that's all.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: I'm not sure if you're suggesting that Sr. Ann Rochelle was a more lenient grader than Sr. Celestine. I didn't have either one as a teacher so I will defer to your observation and intuition. Anyway, the picture below I think is of Sr. Ann Rochelle. All of you St. Judians please verify. (I didn't obtain a model release from the girl so her face remains blurred *__*)

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can i ask a stupid question? where were the stairs to go to the basement of the gym? hate to say it, but i never knew there was a basement.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4374
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't there steps to the basement off of the kitchen?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Sr. Ann Rochelle, it is about that time for us to get our supplies together to make some jack-o-lanterns. Let's see we need some black and orange construction paper, blunt tipped scissors, and some adhesives. For that you will be given the following choices: staples, Elmer's glue, rubber cement, or my favorite, paste using the applicator attached to the jar lid.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Laing, there is a door, which if you're facing the stage is on the left. This door leads to stairs going down. Once down, if you turn to your right you are beneath behind the stage (hardly a basement). Continuing east, there is a crawl space tunnel which I believe leads to the convent.

At the base of the stairs, if you turn left instead of right, you will be in the tunnel (standing up) which leads to the school.

12468_laing

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and to think, i always heard about the tunnels under the place, but was never in them.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, from within the kitchen there is a door which leads to stage left. Outside the kitchen there is a stairway leading up behind the stage.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, if we only knew then, what we know now...

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I was never in those tunnels either, but if I remember, wasn't band practice in the upstairs above the kitchen - at least I remember there being some of those music stands up there. I put the cakes up there -out of the way - until we were ready to serve them at the all school reunion a few years ago.

12468_laing

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as i remember, the band was in both upstairs rooms on the stage side. never went up there as I wasn't in the band. I never had classes in the other two rooms, but remember boy scouts met up there for many years in the 60's and 70's.

Jcole

Post Number: 4379
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Sr. Paul Therese's class at the top of the stairs on the east side of the gym.
It was kind of cool being over there. I'm guessing they put the 6th graders over there because we were old enough to handle it, but didn't have to change classes yet. If they put 7th or 8th there, class change would have been difficult.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - you must have been in Rm 131, right? I remember being in 6-130 with Mr. McAdams. We still write to St. Paul Therese at Christmas and Easter. She's delighted to hear from all - is very easy-going and does tutoring now in Adrian.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things we never knew while in school.
A few choir members, altar servers, or members of Frank the janitor's bucket brigade knew of the tunnels and basements. Still the mystery isn't completely solved. Has anyone traversed the tunnels from the church to the school? Was the foundation portion in the gym filled in? Where in the church is the tunnel enterance?..by the choir practice room? Eastwood_Rex recently gave insight about the convent and bomb shelter; however the mystery is still there... Was there one contiguous tunnel?
The door under the flag leads you to four options.
1. to the left is the exit toward the school
2. in front of you are the steps to the upstairs classroom on the northwest part of the gym
3. just to the right of those steps is a door that leads down to the "gym basement"
4. to the right of that door are the steps leading to the stage

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

above are the stairs leading up to the vestibule area from the "gym basement"
past the 1st door to the left are the stairs to the gym stage, straight ahead is an open door to the gym, to the right is the northwest exit door.
Above is a picture that includes a crawl space tunnel (looking east) and it looks like modern day heating system with some pvc type of piping. The question remains was that a full tunnel at one time? ...perhaps when that room at a boiler type of heating system and not what is shown.

12468_laing

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, here is a question. in the vestibule of the gym, i remember a coat closet on the right and that little room was also where we used to get our christmas cards when they had sales. was there a door across the vestibule from that? i am so confused as to where that picture of the stairs is. that building was built to last - too bad they don't make it like that anymore.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: The picture of the stairs above does NOT lead to the main vestibule. They lead up to the small entry way (I shouldn't have used the term vestibule). As you look at the stage there are two exit doors. The one on the right by the kitchen takes you out to the convent side of the gym. The one on the left takes you out toward the school....On that left exit are stairs that go up to a classroom. Right next to those stairs is a door that opens to stairs heading down to the furnace room/tunnels.....

The main vestibule you're referring to did have a coat room. (In the picture below taken from the stage is the gym and main entrance on the 7 MI side.....The coat room would be on the left (east side) of the vestibule)..I don't recall if there was another closet across the vestibule or not. I do recall however that there was a trophy case that housed many of the old football championship trophies and a hugh black and white team picture and a football signed by the Lions in the Late 50s....This all leads to another mystery....Where is that football and photograph and all those CYO championship trophies? They were a highlight of parish pride for decades.

JC: I don't think there was an access to the "gym basement" via the kitchen side.

Jcole

Post Number: 4380
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We still write to St. Paul Therese at Christmas and Easter"
CFG, I'm sure she'll be grateful that you referred to her as Saint Paul Therese :-)
Freudian slip??

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, J - that's what I get for Fast Slackin'
As far as the trophy's - they were offered to any and all who were interested a couple of years ago, on the St. Jude web site - I don't believe that are any more left from SJS era.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Slackers. We really underperformed yesterday (except, of course, for CFG, our star pupil).

Let's show those west side upstarts where the real school spirit is.

There will a prize at the end of the day for the most interesting or original post.

Jcole

Post Number: 4388
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think this is original, but with tomorrow being Halloween, I'll go ahead.
Do any of you remember when we were in grade school what Saint or holy person you dressed up as for the school party? If I remember correctly, we weren't allowed to wear secular costumes.
I was St. Catherine of Sienna one year. I wore a pink tunic with a pink, white and gold striped head piece and belt.
My brother went as St. Joseph once and one of the 'Wise Men' another year. That should have one a prize for the most incongruous costume EVER.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I showed up as the Dali Lama & got sent home. Nearly excommunicated.

(I just knew you'd be the 1st to jump in, J.)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember dressing up like Ben Franklin for one of our History skits in the 7th or 8th grade. Had grandpa's wire rimmed glasses perched - and some ruffly blouse on. It's a memory - or nightmare - that I can't forget. I vaguely remember parading down the halls in costume - I know I wasn't in any saintly garb!

Jcole

Post Number: 4390
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I was supposed to go on a tech call today, but it's postponed til tomorrow, or I wouldn't have been here. Kismet.

12468_laing

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't remember being in saintly garb, but i always wore a superman costume on halloween, and seem to remember wearing it to school once. i do remember all the plays they used to have - one in particular at christmas time. i was the reader, dressed as an altar boy but red and white instead of black and white. i had too many lines to memorize, so the nun, whoever she was, glued my lines into a big scroll. The only line i still remember is, "The Candles of Christmas are burning tonight, bringing with them a miraculous glow"............. Seems it was around 4-5 grade, so that would have been around 1967 or 68 or so.