Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through October 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Robi
Username: Robi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi JOHN COLLIER,
I noticed your posting of 23/24th of August.
Where have you been, lost track of you last year. The book we are ready to publish, is an expanded version of the one we both compiled in 73 along with the live interview tapings we did in Ann Arbor (which was to be released with Feature Film version). RELEASE and PROMOTION of the publication is now geared for 2009 - PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP for all the details:info@riverwyeproductions.com

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

howdy yall....hope all is well in your worlds....each time i log into this site i get more stoked....its really putting the ol grey matter to work....i mean after all we did grow up in the 60s and lived or hung out at the garwood so...the memory is what it is.....margie i do remember you and ruth as pals and may i say that the time laps has has been very kind to you, very attractive still today........ruth i will be sending my info to you very soon....would it help if we also included how many we will be showing up with....i do invision other activities happening as well as the "main event" and that you are only coordinating the "main event"....i'd like to put a couple fishing trips together...maybe a cook out at some ones house...maybe just lunch with a few...etc...also submit a list of photos etc. you would bring and like to share.....i also think that renting a hall with kitchen/bathroom/parking etc...sounds like a good idea....we should also keep in mind that if we are talking may/june time frame...this is graduation time and that facilities may be spoken for already and that prices for travel and lodging may be a factor for some of us....just some rambling thoughts on my part....nuff for now....go do good things

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash1, I'll bring the bait.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG..you ARE the bait

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gashl1 - We do need to know if people are planning to bring spouses, kids, significant others. My husband can't wait to come - he has seen the photos and heard the stories - to him you are all legends. I do think we need a "just us" part of the event. Certainly if Robin is going to tape and/or interview us for his movie.

I'm still waiting to hear from everyone so we can take a good whack at this. My own calendar is going to keep me in my office in the last few weeks of May. I think Robin would like to make this an early June event as would Margie as would I. And if no one else weighs in otherwise -let's set early June as our target.

Old_guy

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm fine with June too Ruth. I will be contacting you. Baitmark.

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gas...Thankx for the compliment, if you haven't seen Ruth lately She is Beautiful and from the neck down....she hasen't changed one bit in the last 40 yrs.! I mean,I had to look twice when she started walking away !!! lol

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

June is great, I love Detroit in the spring.

Margie is that the Up band? Awfully familiar.

Robi, Nice to see you've joined us.

as the plot thickens...

Ruth

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh gee margie...........thanks for the nice words.

Margie

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why yes it is The Up, Bob & Gary had the most beautiful hair.....
Does anyone remember the Hill House in AA. I spent many a day and night there and I remember a girl that went by the name of CHICK... I was really buzzzzzzed around that span of time, can anyone add more details ?

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the halloween jacket

Ruth

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA!! Guess who

Margie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruthie I just tried to post this and I don't think it took so if it shows up twice just consider it a double portion...
You are such a Pretty little Babydoll !
That jacket and those legs ! You better get down on your knees and thank the Lord sister !

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help me....where have I seen this place, A2??

Ruth

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry - I thought this might be Cobo hall - did you play there?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Gary Rasmussen (the man in the middle of the photo, FYI) from The Up, once or twice a year. I think I have his current contact information should anyone like it. I'd mentioned earlier going to David Carson's book signing in A2, a couple of years ago. Gary Quackenbush(SRC)and Gary Rasmussen(The Up) were both there. Gary Rasmussen plays acoustic solo and duo performances around town with various partners. His music and playing has definitely evolved and has the sound of an experienced, loving musician. I enjoy watching him play his guitar. It reminds me of my Poppo (Grampa) when I see someone who's done it so well, so lovingly, for so long. It's great to see people from our youth who have survived, thrived and done well.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Margie, if you hadn't identified the photo, I might have never realized. I looked at it as I scrolled by and it didn't ring a bell. I saw your's and Detgrrl's following posts and went - WOW! At closer inspection I knew it was The Up. I actually owned some original The UP's 45's until recently, along with the Ann Arbor Viper's and Boogie Woogie Red. Thanks so much.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruthie, the jacket is a MUST at our reunion. If you light it up, I'll have an immediate FLASHBACK. I WILL be tripping again - 40 years later. Between your's, Margie's, Stone's, (OG.. you ARE the bait), OG's, (Baitmark), remarks tonight, I'm rolling on the floor. Thanks to everyone.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The House on the Hill, a/k/a 'the Hashish Capitol of the midwest'. One time, I and some friends scored a couple of ounces of hash at the house. Remember the beautiful little blocks, about the size of a credit card, with the engraved seal? The Michigan State Police (we called them the MISTAPO back then) pulled us over as we headed north on 23. We were pretty ripped and totally freaked. They pulled us over because we were a car full of freaks (long hairs, to the uninitiated), which was an offense all by itself, in those days. We were paranoid and ready to immediately give ourselves up. The cops totally dismantled the trunk and back seat but, unbelievably, they didn't find the dope. I can still feel the fear I experienced as they were pulling us over. I was thinking - prison, prison. It was another narrow escape for me. The stars were aligned in my favor once more. It's a wonder I'm alive and free today.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAMN, RUTH!!!!

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie..Margie..Margie!!
I just sat bolt upright out of bed (1 am here) because the synaps I've been praying for just occured and a 40 yr brain buster just got put to rest. You are the chick singer that blew the doors off the joint one night when you sat in with stnfrnt at a party in somebody's garage/studio. I,ve never ever forgotten that and over the years have thought about that night hundreds of times because I wondered if you ever took that voice/delivery/stage presence to the next level. I distinctly remember telling you I thought you could blow Bob Seegar off the stage and I thought you were really fu#$@ng good. Plus..I got to stand behind you.....

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi people..this is a test to see if I'm on..having a little trouble understanding the site...be back later...might need assistance in how to upload a photo...

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K...2nd try...I'll type all this again...I'm the ex Stonefront L'Angelo Mysterioso...56 1/2 guitarist...glad to be here and on the planet...a few updates (oh yes, NOW I remember Ruth) I have updates.. in the above photo of the "UP" later the "Look" the dude on the left is Wilson, the smokin funky drummer who played w Larry and I who went to play w Mitch R,; (and his counterpart, Nate..bass player (not shown) is now playing w Kim Simmons in Cal and everywhere)...I got this info from Mr.Dale who I played w in a A2 band called Sunspot for2 yrs...Mr. Dale went out to Cal, answered an ad for a Telecaster player and is now with Lee Rocker from the Stray Cats (shinin' us all..)... I'm now a freelance (emphasis on the "free") digital artist and willing to do some kinda collage on the Gar Wood m, but will need photos-I only have a few..and fear that Mr. Collier might object to my usage or bastarization of his work... ya'll rock on..I'm here bangin on my 12-string...

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, welcome! We've added another piece to the puzzle. If we can all get together we might come up with some consistent, accurate memories. Awwww, forget it. That wouldn't be any fun. All these years I wondered who L'Angelo Mysterioso was. Now we know and he's from Daytwah. Now, we MUST find Breeze. Gleeman, take some time and review the past posts here, you'll roll over laughing. I'm sure you can add to our already incredible stories.

Old_guy

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD, Wow, I do remember those little credit card type items with the seals.

Old_guy

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know what the legal drinking age was in Michigan back in 1970?

Old_guy

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming this must have been where the bowling alley, (which I never saw) must have been. People have mentioned that it was partially under water at times. The bridge must have been built on the top of it and the drive, where it entered the street must have been on top of it. The Fisher Mansion is in the background
15.gif

These are from 1934 and other buildings or something must have also been built on top of it. It's in the lower left of the second photo, and I don't remember a wide open space at the street like that.

13.gif

Margie

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This date in Michigan History: December 23, 1978
Michigan drinkers must be twenty-one.
Concerned about high school students drinking and driving, Michigan's drinking age was raised back to 21 years old from 18 years old.

Michigan History magazine. Permission is granted to use this content in whole or in part, or broadcast the information contained herein, provided credit is given to Michigan History.

Old_guy

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Margie, so I was legal, uh... as far as drinking went.