Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Lions Football » Archive through October 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a good deal for both teams.
I think RW has a lot more talent than he showed in Detroit. You put him on a talented team with a good QB and he may blossom. He may be like Moss in New England. You won't really see how good he is unless he's playing on a good team. It doesn't say much for his character, but he is what he is.

With the Lions you're more or less looking at 3 very good draft picks because they'll probably end up with the 1st pick in the 2nd round. They might even be able to package Dallas's 1st pick and their 2nd round pick and move up in the 1st if there's a player they really like.

Now hopefully they don't screw it up by winning games.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a big Lions fan, always have and always will, looking at the schedule, I don't think the Lions are going to win a game all year. Maybe the home game against the Vikes, but the rest of the schedule is pretty tough.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10428
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked R. Williams and he had class. Let's not be bums and throw him to the wolves like I have been hearing on the sports radio today.

He played decent, not great, but decent and what did he have to strive for really?

What the Lions got for him was excellent but do any of you really think this is a great trade when Detroit has blown all but 2 picks (out of all of them)forthe last 7 years?

I wouldn't be surprised if these picks will be blown as well and Detroit has a great 3-13 next year. Who wants to bet?

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roy Williams, Shawn Rogers (Big Baby), and Mike Martz attempted to bring an identity to this organization (something they have not had since the Wayne Fontes era)...now they all are gone!...what's next?

To be sure, whatever they do this year and the next, I hope they bring some 'character' guys to this organization, and that includes, not only players, but management and coaching!

Retore the Roar by 2010!

blksoul_atcha!
Obama 08'

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions are losing 35-0 and we get a first down, here comes Roy Williams with his patented first down signal. Dont need his identity.
Watched Cleveland play the other night, Big Baby could only take one snap out of three and was so winded it was funny. Don need his identity.

I gotta hand it to management, they really pulled off a sweet deal.

(Message edited by kenp on October 15, 2008)

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shawn Rogers is dealing with a shoulder injury of sort (perhaps the reason he was in and out) and is still one of the top defensive lineman in the league that DEMANDS double coverage...in otherwords he makes the entire D line better with his presence!

...also Roy Williams, not only was a positive in giving the Lions 'character', he was a very talented player that the Lions UNDER-UTILIZED!

The best thing they received out of the trade is a late first round draft pick...maybe pick 26 or so...Somebody tell me what was so genius about this trade?

I believe that this was a contractual move...one that was perhaps in the best interest of Roy Williams football career, and the Lions had no other choice but to grant Roy's contractual demand...thus the trade.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because most times, you only get a 3 or 4th rounder...

The Lions got a 1st, 3rd, and 6th round pick, almost doubling our draft for next year. It was a good move on the part of the lions

Goat

Post Number: 10431
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But do any of you really think the Lions will pick good players? Have they really been decent in any draft except for the odd player here and there?

I understand where Blksoul is coming from when he states that the Lions need an identity. Whether it is smash-mouth style football, an incredible offence or a brickwall defence they need something other than the crap that has been served for more than 8 years.

Contract-wise this was good for Detroit but really don't pin your hopes on good picks next year. Detroit will either waste the talent or pick the wrong people. Their stats and their past picks have shown that to be reality.

Kenp

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roy was gone after this year. The Lions season is over and now we get 3 draft picks including a first rounder. We basically got a lot of value when normally in this league you dont get much if any. Jerry Jones is gambling and living for right now.
Jones build his original super bowl teams in the opposite fashion. He traded Hershal Walker to the Vikings for all kinds of draft picks.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3082
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, SI rated Ford Field the 31st stadium in the league. The Lions have a ton of work to do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c om/football/nfl/specials/fansu rvey/2008/lions.html

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9030
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, like any Lions fan here- we have to hope that the Lions will draft smart. Under the Millen regime, he had no clue on how to draft intelligently. If this trade is a good one (and the majority of the Lions fans here seem to think so), we're left with a measure of hope that this is the right direction. It's being blown up now and being rebuilt.

There have been some major positive moves that have happened this year already:

1) the most glaring and obvious one- Millen getting his walking papers. Good riddance!
2) getting Jerry Jones to bite and give up a TON in draft picks (again- Randy Moss went for a 4th round and we got a 1st AND a 3rd round pick).
3) Kitna being shelved to allow the new QBs to get their feet wet.
4) Admittance that this season is shelved by upper management.

This is a clear cut example of addition by subtraction by our team. Again, we can only hope that this is the beginning of a new & better chapter for our team.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Que se vayan todos, que no quede uno solo!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rating on Ford Field is more an indictment on Lions fans than the organization.

Ndavies

Post Number: 3087
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The rating on Ford Field is more an indictment on Lions fans than the organization.

Please, You're kidding right.

The fans have spoken and the Lions are not giving them what they want. That is completely on the Lions organization.

If a company is not giving me the product I desire, I am going to blast them in any ratings I'm asked for. If they continue to feed me the same terrible product, I will stop buying that product. I gave up my season tickets two seasons ago. I won't be going back anytime soon.

Professional sports is a business. If you don't give your customers what they want they are going to leave.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5380
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions fans don't leave they just bitch about everything.

Frankly, firing Millen, trading Williams, and benching Kitna will help the team improve. Shitty attitudes, loudmouthed whiners, and an unwillingness to work hard or take responsibility aren't welcome.

Kenp

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back the Silverdome. Puking, pissing, swearing, women fighting women, people falling. Good times.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But ken...Winning football teams...

_sj_

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please, You're kidding right.

Did you read the questions? Outside of team quality the rest are the fans.

How would you describe the affordability of a trip to your hometown stadium?

Ticket Costs

How would you rate the quality of the food at the stadium?

How would you rate the affordability of the food at the stadium?

How would you rate the tailgating scene on game day?

On average, how much tailgating do you do for each game?

How would you rate the year-to-year quality of the home team's on-field performance?

Which player on your team is most worth paying to watch?
How would you rate the Fan IQ of the home crowd?

How would you rate the hospitality offered to fans of the opposing team?

What is your favorite memory from a game at the stadium?
How would you rate the traffic to and from the stadium?

How would you rate the availability and cost of parking at the stadium?

How would you rate the public transportation options?

Ndavies

Post Number: 3090
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read the questions.

They all relate to how the fans feel about the services. All of the things are things the Lions could improve if they wanted their fans to be happy. Obviously the services suck otherwise they would have recieved higher ratings.

By your logic, Obviously it's also the buyers fault that the Big 3 don't rate as high in quality as the Toyota.

_sj_

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apples and oranges. Look at the questions again.

The ratings are all fan opinion about things outside the Lions control except the ticket prices which are middle of the road and the performance of the team which is last.

Goat

Post Number: 10452
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no sj, NDavies is correct. It isn't the fans it is the SERVICE BEING PROVIDED.
You are correct that is it FAN OPINION but that just goes to show you that the fans aren't getting what they want.

Ticket prices...too high for such garbage.

How would you rate the quality of the food at the stadium? It is o.k but not great (fast food joints aren't good food IMO). But then what stadium has good food?

How would you rate the affordability of the food at the stadium? $5.00 for a double burger at Big Boy isn't great but not bad. Beer and pretzel prices are too high.

How would you rate the tailgating scene on game day? Fucking terrible! In fact the stadium has little to no tailgating. You have to go to independant lots whcih charge way to much. Epecially with 1 porto-john..if you are lucky.

On average, how much tailgating do you do for each game? Considering the above, not many people do but I do every game. Most like to go the bars that surround the area. Good for Detroit!

How would you rate the year-to-year quality of the home team's on-field performance? Do I really need to answer this?

How would you rate the Fan IQ of the home crowd? For the most part pretty good.

How would you rate the hospitality offered to fans of the opposing team? Who gives a shit. It is the HOME of the Detroit Lion's. Fuck the opposing team and their fans.

What is your favorite memory from a game at the stadium? Beating Chicago last year.

How would you rate the traffic to and from the stadium? Pretty decent but I don't have far to go.

How would you rate the availability and cost of parking at the stadium? Quite high.

How would you rate the public transportation options? Piss poor.

So again how does the above equate that it is the fan's fault?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texans score a TD on their first possession, marched down the field with relatively little resistance from the Lion's defense.

Backwards down the field...

A Lions defense that will yield..

Eeeshh..a sack and a pass by Orlovsky to a receiver into the...stands..LOL!!

3 and out for the Lions.

14-0, Texans score on their second possession.

Gonna be ugly if the Lion's D can't stay off the field for more than 3 and out by their offense.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!...are the Lions that god awful bad!

14-0 already against Houston!!!!!!!!!

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awful. Will be watching Band of Brothers on the History Channel for the rest of the afternoon.

Bring Back Professional Football to Detroit!!!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

21-0

What is up with all of the 21 pt deficits in the first half the Lions have racked up this season??

LOL!!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3779
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hansen kicks a 54 yard field goal, now 21 - 3. Where have I seen this script before?

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MVP Jason Hansen!!

21-3 Texans.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on October 19, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Ford owes Jason Hanson big time. He has been the ONLY go to guy for what - the past fifteen - seventeen years?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5430
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

28-21. Too bad the defense didn't show up for the first half.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How in the world do you have an incredible talent like Calvin Johnson, and he only receives 2 passes?????...double coverage or not, borrowing the sentiments of Keishawn Johnson, 'THROW ME THE DAMN BALL'!

Fire the other M!

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'