Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through October 31, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4391
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Saint thing from the early elementary years, like first, second and third grade. Maybe it was just my teachers.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at AG for 1& 2, so I may have missed those fun times!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zman just checkin' in. I've been a little under the weather the last few days and my mind is cloudy I don't have anything pithy to add, but I should be back to normal (I know a relative term) in few days giving everyone a hard time again.

Jcole

Post Number: 4396
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feel better, brother ZZ. We need you to get back to 'normal', whatever that is.

Zitro

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still in search of it

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: So far you win for most original and interesting. What is normal? Eastburn, give it to him. Come on.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all have 'til midnight (or whenever I turn in) to try to beat him out.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched a PBS special about LBJ a few days ago. LBJ's notoriety was the "Great Society" and involvent and/or continuation of civil rights. His achilles heel, as reported by PBS, was his handling ot the Vietnam war and the explosive civil unrest during his tenure. The escalation of civil unrest and the massive deployment of troops to VN was in the summer of 65. I was heading into 7th grade in the summer of 65. "the times were a changing". All this got me thinking about the nuns and priests during that era. I'll throw this to you that graduated from 1970 or later. Do you recall any of your St. Jude teachers discussing the social/moral issues of war or civil rights at that time? If I recall correctly those issues weren't even addressed or put out for discussion. In fact the only priest at the time that took on those issues was Fr. Grady.

(Message edited by kellyroad on October 30, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 4400
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I watched the same LBJ special. I found it fascinating how election cheating was a way of life in the early 60's and before.
I don't remember the nuns saying much of anything about the war or civil rights. I don't remember any talk at all about civil rights even in church. The war talk gradually came around, but I think that was more in High School, partly because some of the girls had boyfriends who were draft age, and we were all getting nervous about it.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Marists were big about taking on heavy social issues. Our freshmen religion group at ND were organized into discussion groups on the issues taken up by the New Detroit Committee....headed by Hudson and J Cavanaugh after the riots), The morality of the vietnam war, planned parenthood etc. in the later years it was about conscientious objection (how to avoid the draft), support Ceaser Chavez etc. etc. One would think the Marist brothers and priest had a very liberal agenda; however, I believe many used extreme examples to make their students think critically and examine their own personal beliefs to gain a broader perspective. All this gets back to SJS. It seems that in the 7th or 8th grade that none of the then current social issues were even acknowledged. Religion as I recall was presented as a rote memorization. Perhaps at the time, the size of the class, parents' expectations of the teachers and/or taking on subjects that were deemed controversial or not in alliance with the church dogma was prohibited. I do recall that a handful of people either mumbled and/or walked out on Fr. Grady's sermon when the issue of civil rights was addressed. The interesting thing I recall was Fr. Grady was speaking in a soft tone and not being chastising or condensending....just simply giving modern day analogies of Christ's teaching. That was around 1963 however, the parish may have not been ready for a "renegade" priest.

(Message edited by kellyroad on October 30, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: What's the prize?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the most diabolical devil's night crime you witnessed or performed n the St. Jude neighborhood? The statute of limitations might come into play here.*/-\* You may change the name to protect the innocent.

Eastburn

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The prize is your very own fold-up cardboard bank to accumulate funds to save a pagan baby.

I have to turn in early tonight so the winner will be announced in the morning - or whenever I get up & get to the confuser,

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I know of some kids from S of 7 who threw a few eggs at some front doors N of 7. Diabolical enough for you?!

How about this one? I know of some N of 7 kids who walked up to an 8 and Schoenherr construction site for a new gas station to steal nuts and bolts and other construction materials. They were smoking cigarettes and drinking beer from some "Qs" they paid a guy to buy for them from a party store on Kelly. The initials of the ring leader from Liberal west of Redmond were G.T.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me be the first to wish you all a very happy All Hallows Eve! Which reminds me...I believe Nov 2 is celebrated in Mexican Town as the Day of the Dead.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Just make sure all the paraphernalia of devil's night frivolity that you and the sidecars enjoyed is safely under wraps *__*

7: GT ! not the GT?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: 40 days of saving for the propagation of the faith piggy bank can fetch a tidy sum. Great Idea.

Zitro

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throwing eggs and soaping windows were the main focus of our pranks although if a neighbor was particularly unkind to kids he may have found a coat of wax on his car windows which was much harder to remove.

There were some who would delay fuses on cherry bombs and M-80's and put them in mailboxes, they must have been auditioning for Bill Ayers and the Weather Underground

Zitro

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I have no recall of discussion at SJS or ND about civil rights or the Vietnam War. Although, if you go back through some of the SJ Calendars posted on FB, you will find articles about race relations in them which I've found interesting even though it wasn't discussed from the pulpit. Also, a few weeks ago I posted some results from I believe the 70 or 71 ND Juggler where students were asked their opinions about he war and the percentages were published, but again it felt like we were insulated from open discussion in the classroom.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Ayers? Are you referring to the incoming CIA chief? Or is that H. Rap Brown?

Eastburn

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the winner is................

Z!!!!!!!!!

Based on KR's heartfelt recommendation, Z's own humility, and the fact he'd be the one most likely to fill up the bank.

Zitro

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES er,ah, I mean Yes I don't know what to say. I want to thank all my fans and constituents. KR a special thanks to you. Sorry 7. if if was me voting you'd have won but it wasn't.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$#!%

Zitro

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be nice to me I'm still not feeling well ya know, but I have to admit I'm starting to feel a little spunkier

Jcole

Post Number: 4408
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<sob>

Zitro

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sis I knew I could count on you for sympathy

Jcole

Post Number: 4409
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I was crying because I didn't win, er, really, I hope you're feeling better today, bro.

Zitro

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 is the one who should be crying since I vaulted ahead of him in all-time wins!

Jcole

Post Number: 4410
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's swearing instead of crying ^^^

Zitro

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that what that is? I thought he just had his hands misplaced on the keyboard.