Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through November 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 5:03 pm:
OG---Remember the guys up on the roof with the automatic weapons?
OG Was that before he got the electric motorized fence designed by some guy from Japan ?

hi to all, and thanks for the great writing and wonderful photo's.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now here's Margie (on the left) with best pal Linda

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG...the sculptor was a guy named Doug who used to work in the auto industry sculpting clay models of new car models for presentation and shows. Computers do that now. He did a clay/fiberglass bust of me and it was scary how good he was. Wish I had that thing now or anything else he did. Garwood seemed to attract those kinds of people. People with uncanny talent, skills, and knowledge about things obscure or out of the ordinary. RE: Ruth (pipe organ), aforementioned sculptor-Doug, Gary Markley-guitarist/artist, Mark Hoover-party promoter supreme, John Collier-well what can I say about him?,...and the list goes on.

LET'S HEAR IT FOR TOSHIBA RECOVERY DISCS!!
Got to quit punching keys just to see what happens.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S....OG--loved the Michaelangelo connection.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 384
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie, Billy had been having blackouts, then he quit smoking, hoping that would do the trick.. I don't recall every detail, its got to be at least 10 years since he died. I believe it was cancer and it dragged on for a while. He had been living on the eastside, playing mostly in a country western band, with a female singer. Sorry that's all I have for you. He really was a great guy, wasn't he.

1kielsondrive had me post these for him:

Maybe these will jolt a few memories. He thinks the benefit was for Breeze, after his incarceration.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey yall....got to put my jarred memory down before facts get all blurry again....Doug the sculpter....what a memory...a little guy with black wavey hair no teeth and a family that was all about the love ...two daughters as i recall, maybe 6-10 yrs old....FIsher guy had the bowling alley but i thought it was in the basement, ...i do remember an ornate room with a full blown theater size pop-corn machine and the guards were there because he was getting into some military/national elec. security sys. as i recall him telling us not to worry about it because he didnt like it either....if fact now...that you mention it OG..he came over to tell us about the changes we might see at his place and didnt want us to think he was arming his house against us...that must be the night at the big fire place/burgers...etc.......is anyone else having problems uploading photos....i have tried every thing i know but can not get the site to accept me inserting photos....keep in mind that if involves more that turning this thing on or off....im in rough waters....i have a hand full of names that someone may know the where abouts...so let me just dump them and see what happens....Doris and Judy Winter...Record Mike...Chuck Denlinger....Mark and Jeff Swanberg...the two Nancys, Sonnenberg and Clayberg/Merryman...Ed and Margret ???...Jeep Capone...Carol Berry...Bob Hamilton...just to name a few....well my brain is getting fuzzy so im gone....yall go do good things

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh ya add one more name...Gary Mooney

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det313grrl....Thanks for what you know about Billy.
Yes he was a sweetheart.
1Kiel I have often thought that I am so blessed to be alive, I mean we took sooooo many chances. When Lin and I were hitching to L.A. we were going through Flagstaff Arizona one evening, it was getting dark and raining, a huge semi picked us up we got in and the man said "oh my God I have two daughters your age and he was so upset...he took us to the truck stop he was staying in got Lin and I our own room gave us each ten dollars and a rain tarp and breakfast. The next morning, off we went again with no fear !
We did go do some awesome camping in Big Sur..it was too beautiful.
Rocket...I think you should consider doing some writing, you have a way with words.
OG ...I found that pic of a woodstock tic on the web several yrs ago. We went to the festival on the spur of the moment and by the time we got there, the first night they had already cut a big whole in the fence and no one paid to get in.
Larry are you going to jam at the reunion should we think of getting a sound system together?
I have access to a BIG LOUD one.
Hey Larry, How are you these days buddy, Have I told you how wonderful it is to be in touch, how gratefull I am for all of the great times that were had by all.Tell us something that you haven't done that you still want to do ??? xox

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash, I guess you're right about the bowling alley being in the basement.http://74.125.95.104/search?q= cache:FCiSGD8Fnc4J:www.detroit iskconlive.com/Fisher%2BMansio n%2Bon%2Bppt.ppt+fisher+mansio n+detroit+mi.&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd =5&gl=us&client=safari

Isle, the guy that lived there actually made his fortune developing those security systems for the CIA or the army. He used to offer a huge amount of money, if anyone could break into his house on a particular day every year. I found an old newspaper article about it a few years back. I think it was a system that sensed peoples body heat. i'll see if i can find the article. He was a bit eccentric.

Here's a youtube video that shows some cool footage in the beginning of it, including the bowling alley. It kind of drags on for a while about the Krishnas.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ab39SrarSB8

Gash, were Mark and Jeff Swanberg from Rockford? The last time I saw Carl Sonnenberg was in 1977. He was kind of pissed off at me that day.

1KD, wasn't Breeze's first name Steve? Great invites.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just mailed a letter to someone I'm pretty sure is Jeff Swanberg. If so, he'll contact brother Mark. Don't have a line on Nancy Clayburg but I have address for her brother, I think.
Breeze=Steve Long

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah OG, Breeze was Steve. Steve Long. Linda was Linda Jordan Long. Breeze and his brother, Tom Long, were the lease holders of the Gar Wood the first time I went there. We were all out of school from CMU at the time. I think Breeze and Linda had dropped out. We met up at the Gold Cup(or was it the Harmsworth Tropy?) races at the Brodhead Armory across from Belle Isle on East Jefferson. Now, I'm not sure of the accuracy of these statements due to the amount of drugs ingested, brain cells lost to the ozone and time elapsed in the interim, but I remember Breeze saying that Tom had acquired the lease from Manny. I think he said they were paying a thousand bucks a month. That didn't seem to bother them but the utility bills did - they were another thousand bucks a month. Which led to requesting donations and door covers at parties. I drew one of the invitations Detgrrl posted and we mimeographed a bunch of copies to pass out. Did you hear that? I said MIMEOGRAPHED. When was the last time you heard that word? Do any of the youngsters here know what a mimeograph machine was? It was a mess! There was a dock on Peche Island and boaters frequented the island. Yes, Capn' Nemo McDonald would know about it. I spoke to a friend about renting the Players Clubhouse. He and Brian both kept their boats at the Fruehauf Mansion. We've known Capn' Ahab , err, umm, Capn' Nemo for years, going back to the Gar Wood/Fruehauf days. I'll speak to him again this week to see if he can come up with any leads on Gar Wooders. There is a bowling alley in the Lawrence Fisher Mansion. I've been to Govinda's Restaurant in the Fisher many times. I didn't think that was the alley our previous poster was referring to when he mentioned an alley at the Gar Wood. I don't ever remember lanes at the house. As many times as I was at the boat house, under the bridge, I have no memory of ever entering it. Way too wet, slimy and spooky. Much like Gar Wood's enclosed boathouse/drydock. Stone, thanks for clearing up John Macinas name. You'd mentioned him before but I'd forgotten and continued to mix him up with Larry McCort. I talked with John, while he worked on his cars in the garage, a number of times. Do you know if Macinas is the correct spelling? I'm going search him on the internet.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Breeze busted for selling a large quantity of pot to a narc? Does anyone remember if the benefit was to raise funds to hire an attorney for him? I seem to remember that he'd been incarcerated unexpectedly. A big party had been planned, maybe it was the Halloween party, but when we got to the house, everyone was really bummed out because Breeze was in jail. Linda had left to go to her mum's house in Lincoln Park. It was a real down time.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't even remember the garage. Was it attached to the house? I remember the building that was detached from the house. I remember one day, everybody doing a cleanup day, and we loaded a large amount of garbage out of it. Was that the garage?

Gash, if you've got some pictures, we need em'. I don't want to load a bunch more on Ruth or anybody, but it's pretty easy to attach them to an email if you can swing that. Maybe someone else can post them for you.

1KD, I slipped up and asked some people to mimeograph some things for me about 10 years ago, and got some blank stares. I just laughed and said, I mean copy, but I was dated by then.

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.drpic.com/
Gary..go to the above site ..on the left side of the page there are a bunch of little boxes...click on resize...upload the photo you are trying to post and click 25% then apply.. your photo will be resized to properly fit the forum requirements...or at least it worked for me ...try it

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG..I definately remember the outbuilding stacked to the roof (literally) with full trashbags. Seems like it took a bunch of us all day to haul that stuff away. Can't remember who used what to haul it wherever and dump it, but it was gigantic team effort. Might have gone quicker if.....well, you know. The garage was pretty hard to miss...for most people.

Margie...darlin', you don't have to tell me how wonderful this thread is. Just take a look at how close together the "archive ending" dates are. Rkwt must be a real proud papa--deservidly so. I would like to get back out on some big water and continue sailing around the world. Got started back in 01 but only made it to Cabo San Lucas; anchored up there for a month then flew back to Redondo Beach to work a little to get money and square away things. Planned on being out for a couple years but I broke my hip so the guys hauled anchor and took off for five years.
Oh well.....

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, the garage was to the right as you entered the driveway. It was at an angle that wasn't clearly visible from the front gate and circular driveway, I think? I never know anymore what important little bits of information I might have f*#+^d up or forgotten. I know the basics of what I said are correct. #1. Enter through the gates. #2. Bear to the right. #3. Do not follow the driveway in it's circular motion back to the left, instead, keep moving to the right and ahead, like you're driving out to the point. #4. Stop at the end of the pavement and look to your left and you'll see the garage doors. #5. Turn to the left and cruise in to the garage. That last pavement was the apron outside of the garage where John's cars and motorcycles sat. That flashback was as much for my information as anyone else's. I had to relive it, to remember it, and to see it. Acid, anyone? Maybe a hit of psilocybin?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS: yes the garage was attached to the house. If I remember correctly (always in doubt), you accessed it through the pool and pool shower rooms in the basement, which was at ground level outside and sloped upward toward the river side of the house to meet the veranda outside of the ballroom. I would walk down the stairs from the pool table recreation room, just off of the ballroom, underneath Gar Wood's master suite, to the hallway leading to the pool shower room. Enter the pool shower room and enter the pool. Somewhere around there was the garage doorway. The garage itself sat underneath the bedroom that Breeze and Linda occupied when you entered the front door and walked to the right near the base of the circular stairway. Have I beat this one to death?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 468
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, I think the picture you posted here a couple of weeks ago, with the red circle around the window where the plank was, would be the angle to see the garage. It seems the garage in that photo was below the trees and weeds and so, not visible. Breeze and Linda's room would be right there in one of those windows. Think about it and let me know if you think I may be correct.

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth where is Larry sitting in pic.

Guys it was i that wrote about the alley under the bridge saw it went in a little ways but it was still dark, your right 1K slimy and so sunken titanic spooky. I remember having to crawl through a hole in the fence like Woodstock, and would still have paid $ 6.00.

1Kd I remember having to go left or east off Lenox a block or two to Carston. Right up in the middle of the block?

Stnfrnt thanks i kind of do feel like Gar Wood Man a big GW in the middle of my spray painted tee shirt. Forgive what must seem a feeble plea for attention, It's not i dont think, lol, just inclusion in i know, what was a great place and time for us all. Only whish i could have stayed there with you cats, or at least turned right on my way to Carston. By the way was it Cabo San or Cobo San? Great song title Cobo San Lucas Blues...

I remember the phone booth inside to the right, or a very big umbrella room...

Stone no one else has ever mentioned the paintings on the wall, and damn you knew the guys name. where they not the f!@#ing coolist thing? Do you remember the sample carpeted walls over top of the ballroom with the hole in the floor, sorry echo chamber?

Margie thanks for the kind words, I think Brenda or someone else asked the same thing. Brenda are you still with us?

Doing Gar Wood on acid would have been the shit!

Yes Margie a sound system is a must for the re-union. With all do respect you are beautyfull in the pic, That is red hair isn't it?

It is I Rocketwhit....

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1klsn...you nailed it with the garage info. The boiler room was thru a door in the garage interior that put it directly under the servants quarters suite. "Puff the Magic Dragon" was a dangerous, tempermental piece of equipment that sent me running out thru the garage more than a few times when I'd try to light it. Thought the place was going to blow for sure a couple times. It was real scary and tricky but when she got going she did a pretty good job for as old and neglected as she was.
Those paintings were great and the carpeted "room at the top" was Stonefront's little recording studio.
I agree on the sound system offer. Something's gonna happen!!

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey..does anybody remember if the driveway fountain ever founted?

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No pictures for this posting. But more will be coming soon.

Rocketwhit - Larry is sitting on the marble steps just past the front door. Most of my photos have interesting background but to post them on this site, they have to be reduced. This site can only take 50KB. Margie - I'll try your printing trick - maybe that will work for mine too. If so, I'll reprint some of the photos to get all the surrounding areas.

Re. reunion. I've talked to Margie and 1K recently and hope to talk to Detgrl today. Larger venues like Cobblestone barn and BoHouse are all really nice BUT they would require that we have food catered, a bar ser-up, and of course a sound system. And Cobblestone barn - while really beautiful and one of the least expensive is still $1250 for the night - only available until midnight - and that doesn't include food, drinks etc. So, 1K is working on a few ideas for spots in A2.

If anyone has some other ideas, contact me directly - I'll send you my phone number and we can talk.

I'm also working on a special surprise. more about that later.......

STN - what was the name of that grey cat that Linda loved so much?

here's a memory for y'all
Van Morrison was SO drunk.........he was being really obnoxious and wouldn't let Margie alone. And he was so short he barely came up to her shoulders. She kept patting him on the head and telling him to go away. After a while, we (Cindy Olds and Margie and I - I think it was the three of us) lured Van into the bedroom that was just off the ballroom. He fell onto the bed - we ran out and locked the door behind us.
The next morning we were upstairs when someone said something like, "did you see Van Morrison last night< Jeez was he drunk!". That's when Margie and I remembered we had locked him in downstairs and forgot about him. We ran down to let him out. He was already gone - don't know who let him out but we did hear that he was REALLY pissed.

OOPS!

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do think i remember the garage off to the right but for some reason a quick glance proved not much to see back to the mansion.

Stone anyone ever try to ride the dumb waiter?
I would have loved to pop out with my Les Paul.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth: oh thank you ha ha ha and ha,,,,,, I laughed so much I woke up everyone in my house, that is a great story. I had the same problem with shawn phillips felt like I was playing dodger ball.
great to wake up to all these recalls!!!!!!! thanks
Margie: great pic site, thanks for sharing.
ok its morning and my fingers have a mind of their own.

Just wanted to share that Our children and most of their friends still keep on many traditions. hear is picture of family friends at a
Tie one on party!!!!! lol

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops I goofed will send photo later or lets try this

http://hosted.drpic.com/US4DMO Q1WS

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rktwt..I remember somebody riding the dumbwaiter once and I think it was Fergie. He stayed in that little ante room next to the master bedroom and that's where the thing was located. There was an intercom down to the kitchen so Mr. Wood could call down and order a little midnight snackie. I've been racking what's left of my brain but I can't remember a formal, real deal, built in wet bar. Thought they were mandatory back in those days. OG..any help here?

Ruth..shame, shame, shame on you girls. I remember something like that going down at a bar in Malibu back in the 80's. Had to appreciate that plan, even though playing the fool ain't real fun. Paybacks can be a bitch, but somehow life goes on.
I say keep the faith in looking for a spot; lots of time but the more suggestions the better. Maybe Gleeman can sniff around A2 a bit.

Ruth..I'll contact Robin Welch and see if his plans have firmed up any. His part in this is key for lots of reasons and your earlier post showing a consideration for his schedule is "spot on."

Anybody tell me what happened to the Wolverines this year?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rktwt..I remember somebody riding the dumbwaiter once and I think it was Fergie. He stayed in that little ante room next to the master bedroom and that's where the thing was located. There was an intercom down to the kitchen so Mr. Wood could call down and order a little midnight snackie. I've been racking what's left of my brain but I can't remember a formal, real deal, built in wet bar. Thought they were mandatory back in those days. OG..any help here?

Ruth..shame, shame, shame on you girls. I remember something like that going down at a bar in Malibu back in the 80's. Had to appreciate that plan, even though playing the fool ain't real fun. Paybacks can be a bitch, but somehow life goes on.
I say keep the faith in looking for a spot; lots of time but the more suggestions the better. Maybe Gleeman can sniff around A2 a bit.

Ruth..I'll contact Robin Welch and see if his plans have firmed up any. His part in this is key for lots of reasons and your earlier post showing a consideration for his schedule is "spot on."

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah their coach sucks
CMU is doing great so is MSU
GO GREEN

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2779
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt - Wake and bake ? :-)