Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Lions Football » Archive through November 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5432
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many did he drop? At least one while I was watching, plus he drew an interference call or two.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK so he dropped one, or even two...He had two catches for over 150 yards!__the reality is, dropped passes are part of the game...it happens!, move on! Here and there, the best receivers in the game will drop a pass!

Does that constitute not throwing the ball to one of the most talented players in the league?

It should not be that hard to design simple past routes for Calvin Johnson.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5433
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did throw the ball his way! Catches, drops, QB misses, and interference calls all count as balls thrown his way.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10454
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does everyone agree that both defensive and offensive co-ordinators are out of touch and really don't belong in the NFL?

Detroit hasn't scored in the first quarter this year! Onaverage they have been down 3 touchdowns by the middle of the second.

It is obvious that they are being out-coached because it takes Detroit that long to either score a point or stop the opposing team from scoring. Half a fricking game in order to realize what they are doing is wrong!

This year can't come to an end fast enough.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They did throw the ball his way!

4 Times!. 2 Catches, one drop and one under-thrown ball.

quote:

How in the world do you have an incredible talent like Calvin Johnson, and he only receives 2 passes?????...double coverage or not, borrowing the sentiments of Keishawn Johnson, 'THROW ME THE DAMN BALL'!

Couldn't have said it any better, You still gave the ball to Barry Sanders even though the defense was stacked against him.

They are overdue to play the youngsters. Dizon may not know the defense but at least he doesn't take himself out of the play like Lenon.

That may have been the best that Ernie Sims has looked this year.

It is also time to see what Stanton can do. Dan O. is not a starting NFL QB.

quote:

Wow!...are the Lions that god awful bad!

Surprisingly, yes! Even the officials are jobbing them as well because they are so bad. There was enough talent to win a few games and be respectable.

0-16 may be the best thing that ever happened just as the 120 loss Tiger embarrassment forced Ilitch into action.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 551
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty sad when even the announcers are verbally showing their pity for the Lions :-(

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several reports out today claiming that Dante Culpepper will become a Lion.(no link, heard it on a few talk shows earlier today)

He turned down a deal with Kansas City earlier today and stated that he was offered a better deal with another team. He then took a flight to Detroit and worked out this morning.

Good move or not?

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blksoul, no move is a good move with the Lyin's. If Dante comes here, he comes to a terrible team and head coach that has lost the last 14 our of 15 league games, and is something like 10W and 29L's. He comes to an offense coach that is deplorable. He comes to a team with no running game. He comes to a team wih no offensive line. He comes to a team that has a terrible owner. The one thing he would come to is a owner that give can him a ton of money. Don't expect a miracle if Dante signs. We would have the same record if we had Tom Brady in a healthy state. His signing might get a sellout or two, until the faithfools see it's just a gimmick.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually...the lions have a good owner...just terrible management

20043_stotter

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D, To me, he is a terrible owner because he hires poor management and interferes with the team, like telling the coach what players to play, like he did last year with Calvin Johnson. Doesn't the buck stop with him?

_sj_

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He does not interfere with the team. That is why he is so highly regarded by many. Including one Bill Parcels.

The Lions are bad there is no need to make up things to make them worse.

They have nothing to lose with Culpepper. They know Dan O is not a starting QB. They could bring Stanton along at a slow pace and not throw him to the wolves and Culpepper could then fill the gap.

It also makes sense why it is taking a long time. Culpepper does not want to be a backup. Maybe the Lions plan on playing Stanton for a few series this weekend and can guage his progression. If he is ready they don't sign Culpepper, if he isn't. Culpepper is signed and starts with Stanton playing some series until he is ready to take the reigns. If he will ever be ready.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc what in the fuck are you smoking? Ford a good owner? Are you outta your mind?

For 50 years this franchise has stunk! One playoff win in all of that time, arguments with former players over money, keeping an inept General Manager for 25 years (Russ Thomas) and another Matt Millen for nearly 10 years constitutes good ownership? Also look at the "stellar" coaches that have been hired over the past 50 years. Such notables as Tommy Hudspeth, Rick Forzano, and don't forget good old take the wind Marty Morningsickness, and now Rod (pound your pud, err rock) Marinara sauce. With a name like that, Ford would be wise to hire that chef from TV, Gordon Ramsey to fix the menu and roast the Loins and get em on the right track. Maybe they'd react to a few F-Bombs...Hell, he couldn't be any worse than Rod Marinara Sauce.

Write this down, as long as Willie Clay is owner, this team will do nothing. Sure as Christ made little green apples, the Loins will fuck up the draft again, with all of the choices that Jerry Jones traded them for Roy Williams. They will not appeal to the league in trying to get someone with the ability and talent to run an NFL team. I finally divorced these bunch of bums, and now just laugh at the comedy show that is the Detroit Lions.

Finally enough people got smart enough to NOT buy tickets last Sunday, so we didn't have to watch this excuse for "Professional" football.

Needless to say, I will never ever purchase another ticket as long as the old senile man is running the show...

20043_stotter

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj, not made up. On 2 occasions last year, he actually told marinelli to play certain players, Calvin Johnson was one, Quitna, I believe, was the 2nd. Also, when Joey Harrington was signed, He told and demanded, the coach at the time, to play Harrington. Even though he was not ready. The coach followed orders. This is no big secret and these events were reported in the media. He is a terrible owner of the Lyin's.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9133
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's look at William Clay Ford for what he really is as opposed to micro- analyzing just a few incidents.

Is he a great owner? If by definition a great owner succeeds with championships, then he's a complete and utter failure. If he's a great owner in the sense that he really doesn't meddle, then he passes with flying colors- even those few incidents where he supposedly tells (demands and suggests are at two opposite sides of the scale) the staff who to play (and would they have played them anyway?) are insignificant. Ford, Sr. from his previous actions will go out and spend the money- he's not cheap when it comes to that and none of us can complain about that. He's not afraid to go out and pay to have a state-of-the-art practice facility. The team seems to pay fair market prices for their draft picks (whether they pan out is another issue altogether). Ford Field is still a top of the line arena and has many nice amenities. So he deserves praise for not being a cheapskate.

Conversely now- just because Mr. Ford does spend money does not make him a wise owner. His loyalty, while some may say is a virtue has also been his undoing. His adherence to the likes of Russ Thomas and Matt Millen have been appalling at the very best. Simply put- he hires the wrong people and hangs onto them for too long; which is a delicate issue. How does one recognize when players & personnel have outlived their usefulness?

So yes, the ownership of the Lions is a conundrum. I sincerely think he wants to succeed with this team and yet doesn't know how. As far as the calls for them to sell the team by so many fans- I just ask them all that if you were in Mr. Ford's shoes, why would you? I'm sure the Fords are making money hand over fist regardless if the stadium fills or not; they're part of the money making machine known as the NFL. The best those fans can hope for in regards to a change in ownership is possibly having someone else come in here, buy the team (and it won't be cheap because again- why should Mr. Ford sell?) and pray they won't move it to another city. My personal sincere hope is that the Fords will retain ownership of this team, continue putting money into it, leave the coaches & players be but more importantly hire qualified and intelligent football people to manage the day-to-day (and game-to-game) operations of this franchise.

These qualified & intelligent football people should be able to come in with a vision, give ownership a quantitative time frame in which they can accomplish certain benchmarks, implement their plan and be evaluated based upon those standards. If they fail them, they should be released- it's nothing personal at that point but in a sport where outcomes matter, management does have to be held responsible... and ownership should not be afraid to ditch people who aren't good for the health of this team.

_sj_

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen all those stories before and most have been refuted as reporters taking liberties.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj, It's not that big a issue about Ford. The real fact is how bad the Lyin's organization is.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about time they got some brains and at least thought about going for Dante culpepper. The Lions aren't a terrible team. Just a few players that give up big plays (#28). I have faith that next year they will turn things around. It's a wrap for this year, and I hope they don't make the history books.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9140
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bragaboutme, I think picking on Leigh Bodden for a few plays might be a bit harsh. I think all big play defensive backs are prone to give up plays that can REALLY look bad. One also has to look at other things that might have happened during those plays; did he have cover help from a free safety? Was there a breakdown in the strong safety position? Bodden is still relatively young and seems to have some good speed & skills. He really impressed me in that Minnesota game as the Vikings really didn't dare throw his side.

DBs can always look bad because of the position they play. Even All Pro DBs can be lit up; its the nature of the position and over the years, the NFL has seemingly made their jobs tougher and tougher.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when they cleaned out Tiger Stadium, they found the phone that Ford would use to call the plays back in the day. There's a reason they have sucked ever since he bought the team. He is a bad owner. He picks crap management. I want to believe he will make a good decision but I just can't.

Hornist9

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ, the bottom line (their win/lose record)over the past 50 years speaks for itself.

I've watched this poor excuse for professional football since 1962 and only one time really became excited and that was when they beat Dallas way back in 1992 and then the next week got scalped by the Redskins 45-0. I along with others thought the team would be even better the next year, but good old Fred Flintstone Fonts had to go and fuck with it.

As to owners telling coaches as to who to play, I am friends with the guy that was responsible for the previous Red Wings Owner, Bruce Norris' phone to the bench. Norris would call down during the games and literally tell the coaches who to play. One player that Norris hated was Dean Prentis. In fact, The story in Gordie Howe's Book "After the Applause" Bill Gadsby was fired only a few games into the 1968-69 season because he ignored Norris' meddling. Norris was an alcoholic and obviously would get crocked before or during the games.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I agree that position is hard, but his confidence is shot. Ever since he got burnt in the Atlanta game he has/may never recover(ed)? To be brought in to be a shut down CB he has shown me nothing but the one interception he had. Maybe they need to scrap to tampa 2 and go with a different package. Trust me I know Bodden has speed but he needs to be at SS rather than CB. Last year with Cleveland was his best stats, so the Lions are definitly going for the best in talent. We have a good running back in Kevin Smith, a good WR in Calvin Johnson, and a solid D-line. so we have a competitive team and Dante will make a difference, but I don't know I guess we'll have to wait til next year.

_sj_

Post Number: 2746
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

sj, It's not that big a issue about Ford.

Exactly my point, the team is bad and many people deserve blame. but for some strange reason people want to invent or embellish stories. How many times have heard that Ford demanded Harrington to be drafted, and yet we know it was Millen all the way.

quote:

I've watched this poor excuse for professional football since 1962 and only one time really became excited and that was when they beat Dallas way back in 1992 and then the next week got scalped by the Redskins 45-0.

Of course, old man Ford tenure with the Lions started before 1964. Also it wasn't 45-0 it was 41-10. And only 17-10 at halftime when steady Eddie missed a field goal.

The Utley and Andolsek episodes were more to blame for the 92 then Fontes.

Selective memory I guess.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's official, Daunte CULPEPPER IS A LEO!

check out the details....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=3676865

I'm not gonna to be a typical Lion's 'cornbreader', and say something like, 'maybe Culpepper has something to prove, and the Lions is his place to prove himself again'...blah blah blah...so, I will stay quiet on this one.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

20043_stotter

Post Number: 652
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul, You are being very wise to not jump on this signing. He caused irreparable damage to his knees and can't run anymore. He still does have a fine arm, but so did Quitna. I don't think Dante will lead the Lyin's to the playoffs. IMHO

(Message edited by 20043 stotter on November 01, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 9160
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's call the signing what it is- Daunte Culpepper was looking for work and found it. If he can help this team somehow, great- and if not, I just hope the team didn't pay him a small fortune for the next two years.

Hornist9

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ, If you want to be a Ford shill, go right ahead. I won't argue with you. The Loins are not worth arguing about in my opinion. I have much better things to worry about.

Enjoy your frustration, I did until this season, now I just laugh at them when my kids come over for Sunday dinner and to watch the game. Best comedy on TV.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10463
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it me or do the Lions have what I call the "Rudy Syndrome"?

They believe that they can find the diamond in the rough or a has-been who is going to make that fantastic comeback on their team. The organization will then look like superstars but they are so damned stupid that they don't realize how many players theyhave signed who have been abysmal failures in every category.

The Rudy Syndrome has reared its ugly head yet again at Lions HQ.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10-0 Bears on two possessions...INT for FG, and red zone run by QB Orton, Orlovsky nearly lost the football when he slipped and fell untouched behind the line of scrimmage...Yikes!!

Lions take the lead on a kickoff fumble by Hester and a TD pass by Orlovsky..13-10 Lions...

20-10 Lions Orlovsky 19 yd TD pass to Shawn McDonald...are the Lions going to win their 1st game today on the road??

(Message edited by Flanders_field on November 02, 2008)

20043_stotter

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playoff tickets go on sale tomorrow?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok who the hell are these guys?