Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4411
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Halloween, y'all. Don't forget Z's having the All Saints Day party tomorrow. Dress as your favorite holy person, and I'll see you in Iowa.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting a big win will always make you feel a little better! (says the winner of the best slacker per EB on the 30th)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's it, Z.

If my hands would have been placed at an appropriate row lower, I would have typed the affirmation REQT - Reaching Excellence Quota for Today.

Jcole

Post Number: 4416
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I just won the Fox 2 Free Fridays contest, and tickets to see Sarah Brightman on Dec. 3.
How many of you know who Sarah Brightman is? My daughter didn't, and wondered why I was so excited.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats! Sounds familiar, please explain

Jcole

Post Number: 4418
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was married to Anthony Lloyd Weber, and he wrote the role of Christine in Phantom of the Opera for her. She originated the role in London and on Broadway. She was also Jemima in Cats. She sings a combination of pop, classical and Broadway.

Jcole

Post Number: 4419
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Z, are you all set for the St. Day party tonight? I hope you got plenty of cider and donuts.

Zitro

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got the home fires burning just waiting for the first guest to arrive.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, J. BTW, it's Andrew, isn't it?

Z, will you have the MSU - WI game on the tube?

Jcole

Post Number: 4421
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is Andrew, I don't know why I wrote Anthony.
Thanks

Zitro

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: for you yes besides my beloved Wolverines have been pretty much unwatchable this year.

Zitro

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just dumped some M*A*S*H stuff on FB for fans of the show

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM winning, MSU losing right now.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU won, UM lost....
timing is everything

7andkelly

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Halloween is over, and we're into November. This means one thing. Christmas season is upon us. After today, there are only 53 more shopping days left! Too bad Fred Bronner died this year. It was nice to meet and chat with him back in '06.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - Love shopping at his store - what a treat it must have been to meet him
Z and J - Bet saw Mark F at Mass tonight. His Mom had passed away earlier this year and this was the All Souls Mass with candles for all deceased parishioners. He works at a car dealership and was happy to see Bet there and renew acquaintances.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad the Lion's lost again today. They didn't play half bad, relatively speaking. Who would have seen 0-8 coming back in August?

Thankfully, we took a break from the action (stress) to visit the Christmas Fantasy store over in Romeo by Frontier Town. Of course, the halls are all decked to the hilt in there. Unfortunately, the little sandwich / ice cream shop facing the goat yard was closed today due to the owner being under the weather. And I was all set for a ham sammy and a hot chocolate. Thought for a second about the chocolate covered raspberries in the chocolate shop.

Jcole

Post Number: 4440
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time you're in Romeo, try the Irish bar downtown. They have excellent Fish and Chips as well as burgers and potato skins.
Did you drive down Tillson St.? They probably had most of the Halloween display down already, but there may have been a few things left to look at.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost stopped in to the DQ for a foot long and/or a cheeseburger since the sign said they are closing for the season after today. Forgot all about the Halloween decorations. Love walking up and down that street...with an after dinner cone in hand! Leaves there for the kicking are an added bonus.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Irish Bar...is that anything at all resembling Humphrey's? Please say yes. Sure was smokey in there though back in '89?...even the smokers were gasping for air at the front and back doors. At least I think the back door was open to customers. Too bad it burnt down. I don't remember hearing what started the fire. Some good memories out of that place.

Jcole

Post Number: 4442
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not in the same building, but it's on the same block. It's called Younger's Irish Tavern. Do you remember the 5th Corner? It's in that building between The Cookery and Dr. Kehoe's dentist office.
It's much 'yuppier' but the food is really good

(Message edited by jcole on November 02, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the food is great like you said...it won't be the first time we we're the oldest ones in the joint.

Is the 5th corner the coney place on the south west corner? If yes, yes...no?...no.

Jcole

Post Number: 4443
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the Fifth Corner was in the middle of the block, hence Fifth Corner. Do you know where the old bike shop was? It's next to that.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't remember the bike shop...just remember we tried a couple of other places up there (one was the Old Stone Bar and Grill or one of it's variant names), and one in Almont, but they just couldn't match Humphrey's ambiance. Chap's in Armada is about the closest I've seen in a while.

Jcole

Post Number: 4444
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too many places have the ambiance of Humphrey's anymore. If you go to Almont, try the Paradise Saloon. Classic biker bar. Or try Mikey's. Small, good fish, very cheap. Huddle has great burgers and is definitely not yuppie.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My memory of Humphreys was that it was a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll, and much of a sports bar when it mattered, and they had a great grill, and best of all the people were friendly. It was mostly a younger crowd, yet in many ways diverse. They had two pool tables, and we played a few games, but the place was big enough where it wasn't dominated by pool players. There were TV's behind the bar, and I think a projection TV so you could watch the games.

Jcole

Post Number: 4445
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Humphrey's was the 'mid-level' bar in Romeo back in the 80's. Thee Office was the rough bar and Ugly Mug was the yuppie bar, or as yuppie as it got back then. Thee Office had regular fights nightly, whereas Humph's were more sporadic and the Mug patrons usually did some drinking and then moved down the street to fight at either at Humph's or Thee Office.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mid-level - that's us!

I don't remember any fights, but I guess I could see it. The taps were open more than they were closed, and I think some of the folks in there forgot who was waiting for them at home.

We were mostly there for the ground rounds, the big screen and the atmosphere.

Jcole

Post Number: 4448
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the Mug in the early 80's and knew a lot of the regulars at both places. On some nights, there was a lot of forgetting about a lot of things, not only who was waiting at home, but where home WAS and how to get there.

Zitro

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Mugs. It looks like the Stones have a new one coming to the Palace. It will be interesting to see how AI fits into a "Team" model.