Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least he has his own shoes at Foot Locker. I am looking forward to seeing him in the lineup.

BTW, gas is $2.06 in our pristine neck of the woods.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1.98 here today.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4454
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All that gas, and nowhere to go

Zitro

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy it while it lasts because it won't last for long once OPEC puts the squeeze on the supply side.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mugs - I thought we were talking about Dick McAuliffe - Mugs, Mad Dog....ahh nicknames of players of old

Zitro

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to most of the great baseball nicknames.

http://thedeadballera.com/nick names.html

Jcole

Post Number: 4455
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I glanced at that link quickly, and thought it said 'thedeadballerina.com'

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent! At first I thought it was the dead ballerinas, too!
I wonder why John "Blue Moon" Odom didn't make the list?

Zitro

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He obviously wasn't on the authors lists of "Old School" players, Although for modern players "Blue Moon" was one of the better ones, along with Scrap Iron for Phil Garner

7andkelly

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, IA isn't in the lineup tonight.

Guess who was the stuckee replacing Billups.

Zitro

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He'll be in tomorrow, it will sure be a different look to the team. I wonder if he'll play point or #2, he doesn't like playing point so they might swing Rip to small. Tay might be the next one gone

7andkelly

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not "The Long Arm of the Law" too. Say it ain't so Joe.

Zitro

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Uncle Elmer Kapp just passed away. His story is a remarkable one. He was an ardent Tigers fan and you could see him at Tiger Stadium with his radio at this ear listening to one of his best friends Ernie Harwell laying out the game for him. He was a self made man who didn't let his lack of sight impair his vision for his life. He married my father's sister Genevieve who was also blind and they raised 4 children and was the founder of a successful blueprint company in Metro Detroit. He attended some of the first Tigers Fantasy Camps and was named Honorary Umpire, his self effacing humor about his blindness was truly one of his unique qualities.

Elmer D. Kapp age 86, 35 year resident of Plymouth, passed away November 2, 2008. Founder of Northwest Blueprint Company in Livonia. He lost his sight at the age of 18. He was a former member of the Dearborn Heights Lions Club and a member of the Detroit League of the Blind. An avid baseball fan, he was a 22 year member of the Detroit Tigers Fantasy Camp. He was a former Board member of C.A.T.C.H. He enjoyed world travel, deep sea fishing, and bowling. Beloved husband of Mabel for 35 years. Dear father of Dennis Kapp, Joseph (Elaine) Kapp, Douglas (Kathleen) Kapp, and Marianne Lewis. Loving grandfather of Dawn Knowles, Lawrence Kapp, Elizabeth (William) Clark, Dennis Elmer (Jill) Kapp, Timothy (Sharyn) Kapp, Amy (Gregory) Eckenroth, Jason (Heather) Kapp, Shaun (Rachel) Kapp, Matthew Lewis, and Nicholas Lewis. Great-grandfather of 17. Preceded in death by his wife of 25 years, Genevieve. Funeral from St. Edith Catholic Church, 15089 Newburgh Rd., Livonia, Friday, November 7, 10:30am. Friends may visit at church beginning at 10am. Visitation at Schrader-Howell Funeral Home, 280 S. Main, Plymouth, Wednesday 4-9pm and Thursday 2-9pm. Rosary Thursday 7pm. Memorials may be made to Seedlings Braille Books for Children, PO Box 51924, Livonia, MI 48151.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for your loss, Z. May God rest his dear soul.

Jcole

Post Number: 4473
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I'm sorry to hear that. He lived an amazing life, doing more than most sighted people would ever dream of doing.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Thanks a million for sharing the news about your uncle.....a very remarkable and inspiring man indeed. I'm sorry for your loss.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My prayers for your Uncle & your family, Z.

Obviously a life well lived.

Zitro

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, it will certainly be more a celebration of his life than the sadness of this passing.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I too, am very sorry for your loss. Your Uncle was definitely an inspiration to many, of that I have no doubt. Though sad, you must be very proud!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, sorry to hear of your loss. for what you say of him, he was one we could all learn from, and still learn from.

Zitro

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: I imagine the town is quite abuzz over the Titans. You could almost say they have a mirror image of the Lions record. At least let us have Thanksgiving Day okay??

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, don't know if you saw the monday night game against indy, but everyone in the stadium was given a light blue t shirt for our 'code blue'. the place was wild, as most cars in town now have something titans on it. i really feel for the lions - was following the game from updates during the titans/green bay game sunday. thought they were going to pull one out. when will they dump the coach and try for cowher and a new gm? think culpepper will work out? and, there may need to be some bets come thanksgiving - i'll give points.

Zitro

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll need points alright. Although at least they are starting to get competitive. Nothing like a winning team to bring a city together, I know in the D whenever that happens it's a joyous thing to watch. As far as the answers for the Lions, I don't know if there is enough space here to list what they need to do. I'd like to see what this coach could do with some descent players, but that's the problem, Millen drafted so poorly they aren't any better off now than 5-6 years ago and that should never happen in the NFL, I don't think Cowher is that desperate for a job right now to take this mess on. Culpepper if healthy should help them get a couple wins before the year is over. You've got to feel for the season ticket holders they have to feel taken.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Cowher is what our quarterbacks do every time they take a snap? 3 injured so far, 2 to go.

Zitro

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Eric Hipple

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or Greg Landry

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milt Plum

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milt Plum?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd suggest Karl Sweetan but he died. So it's Milt Plum. Greg Landry is OK but let's give Milt Plum a chance. Maybe a one year contract with an option.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, someone might recognize a dead Lion on the field, but then again........
Hey, I'm going to the game on Sunday to see their first win of the season. Should have bought a ticket for a game earlier in the season!