Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as it isn't wuss boy Scott Mitchell, he invented the QB cowher move

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why is no one saying bring back gary danielson? he was the best quarterback who did nothing, and no one seems to remember. so, what has happened since the bobby layne days? lions had some really great players; sims, sanders, moore, ware who was a heisman winner, karass, mike lucci, wayne walker, and many more, and they went no where. would really like to see them succeed.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4488
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Chuck Long. He's from your country, ZZ

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Gagliano

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its nostalgic as long as you werent physically abused or humiliated by a priest or nun.

Zitro

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Chuck Long ever did was hold a clipboard

Jcole

Post Number: 4489
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He spent money, too. I met him when I used to work at a furniture store, back in the mid 80's when he first came here. He was furnishing his new home in West Bloomfield, and spending his new contract quite well

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, Not quite sure why you're tossing that in here. To my knowledge, no St. Jude priest was ever implicated in the abuse scandals.

I spent 8 years among those priests & never saw or heard of any inappropriate behavior.

Not saying such things didn't happen all to often but I fail to see what your popping in here like that accomplishes.

Jcole

Post Number: 4490
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, he's bored.
The politcal threads are winding down, so he needs to have something new to bitch about

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, guess he has to go somewhere to spread his poison. Pretty easy to ignore him, eh?

Don't feed the troll. Guess I broke the rule first.

Jcole

Post Number: 4491
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad, EB, bad. When you feed trolls after midnight, they turn into Gremlins.
Or was that the Mowgli?
Either way

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of the Catholic Churches I have visited and researched are architectural masterpieces, many practicing Catholics Ive known are nice individuals, but I have heard some pretty disturbing stories about priests and nuns.....

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andre Ware wore out quickly. Bill Munson would get the job done. If they can't get him, I'll go along with Danielson despite his defect.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see you chime in here, Max.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. I'm back. Got busy again.
Zitro---I am very sorry for the loss of your uncle. I have prayed for you and your family. God bless you.

And, In the years I went to SJ and my family had belonged to SJ Parish, never ever was there a question as to the clergy's goodness. We had some of the kindest and most dedicated clergy in our parish. I never worried about anything like abuse or anything from them.

12468_laing

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey group - couple of things.
Z, I will be doing a communion service at church this Saturday and will mention your uncle in the intentions.
As for any wrong doing priests at St. Jude, I never heard of any. One priest we had in the 70's was found to have been in trouble at another church after he left St. Jude. This was in the Detroit News online last year I believe. He presided over my sister's wedding in Feb 1977. I really don't want to mention his name through this forum. For those of you who know my email, email me privately and I will tell you the name.

Zitro

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Laing, I appreciate it

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was getting Chuck Hughes confused with Chuck Long - and you guys had totally lost me.....was anyone at that game? I'll never forget it.

12468_laing

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was at the game. at first i thought he had a hamstring problem, but when he wasn't moving, there wasn't a word said in the place.

Zitro

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: I should have caught that but mentioning a dead Lion on the field could have meant just about any of them.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Max: Are you still active in documentary photography in the Arch Diocese?

Zitro

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the Lions are blacked out again. It will give everyone a chance to get some of the last minute outside work done before the "chill" sets in. I was thinkin' ya know bears are actually pretty smart, just curl up and sleep the winter away and wake back up when it's warm again.

I hope you can bring them sone luck CFG.

12468_laing

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, thanks for your thoughts about bears - i know i am taking it slightly different than you meant. have the bears gone into hibernation yet? hope so, since the titans will be in soldier field sunday.

Zitro

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your guys should'nt have any problems with them. Rex Grossout is starting at QB and they weren't that good against the Lions so it should be no problem.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andKelly - thank you. I have enjoyed this thread. Been following it from the start.

Kellyroad - yes. I will likely be out Thanksgiving weekend to gather more shots with a friend who is also interested.

12468_laing

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was just watching nbc and have a thought. gm is now in the rencen - which i still think is ironic since ford was there originally. anyway, what happened to the old gm headquarters and the "golden tower of the fisher building"

7andkelly

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, despite our miserable record, I still hope the Lions beat your Titans on Thanksgiving Day. I rarely bet on games so I'll pass on your offer no matter how many points you would give.

After that I will favor the Titan's against all your opponents for the rest of the season (especially against da Bears) ... except against the Jaguars.

This is a favor I am giving you based on your welcome association with this forum, and your ongoing quest to become a deacon.*

12468_laing

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks 7&k, knew i had a fan base out there somewhere

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the hibernation with the bears would work down here in Houston, TX. It never gets cold enough. I'd never get any sleep. I think when the birds migrate south, the bears go north. We have a ton of birds down here. It's wild. They will all gather on the electric lines in long huge rows right next to eachother. It's like they are recharging themselves or something.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting interpretation of the birds on the electric lines, Diane.

I'm pretty sure God lines them all up there for my entertainment, and to remind me daily of His powerful everlasting merciful saving presence in my life.

And the awesome display of these multitudes of birds in synchronized flight is but a mere peak at the beauty of Heaven itself.