Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through November 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Referencing the Jimmy McCarty band thing (Cactus guitarist)...after the Rockets , McCarty formed a blues band called "The Detroit Blues Band" and guess who was the bass player = Billy Landless (great bassist with an unbelievable sense of humor) Billy had played with Stnfrnt and I for a while ... very unfortunately I heard that Billy died a few years ago..sorry to put this pall on an otherwise great blog ...

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good mornin yall.......been a while since ive posted....but iv'e been a victim of the crud thats being passed around these parts....so sick, it realy kicke my butt and had me whimpering like a little school girl at times....on the mend know and feeling better....i did have the chance to talk with Hoover and that was a pleasant conversation....seem like the guy is doing well....re; the photo at fireplace i vaguely remember "Dancer Dan" i believe someone mentioned him earlier....and another name that seems to keep coming to mind and wondering about is Gary Mooney.....??????any way....margie, i can relate to your frustration about uploading photos....i still havent been able to make that happen, i tried you suggestion a number of times w/no luck....did send a few to ruth maybe she will be able to post them.....it would be cool if we all sent ruth etc. photos of ourselves then and now...scary thought......old guy--any luck tracking down gus.....i hear bro stnfrnt has found the swanbergs....this reunion is gaining such momentum that it may just happen and i cant wait....keep those postings coming and now that im on the mend ill be here more often....till then....yall go and do good things

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to post a couple shots also...bear with me...one is the Acoustic Stonefront sans gashlo, the other with Billy Landless in the lower right corner..Ruth if this doesn't work, I'm comin' atcha...
stnfrt-acoustic

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash...I have been meaning to tell you that I hope you feel better soon I know you were not feelin good at all ! I am so glad your starting to pull out of it.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glmn....the Billy Landless photo you're trying to post might be the same one thay's on Stonefront's My space thing. Google Stonefront then click on the My Space address under the name/intro brief. The Hoover stuff you gave me ain't working....no address found on net. Any suggestions?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glmn...never mind

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a good saying: "Drugs lead nowhere, but it's the scenic route". Whaddya' think?

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police." Keith Richards

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TA DA!!!!!
Ladies and Gentlemen. We have ourselves a reunion! Date- June 13, 2009. Place - The Firefly Jazz Club, Ann Arbor Michigan

More details to follow but you can mark your calendars and book your flights - This thing is a GO!

The place has a full sound system that we can use - including piano, drum set, mikes, amps etc. etc. It has a full bar and food - room for 150 people. Next I'm working on a good hotel deal. I'm also working on a few surprises to make this a multi-media, full-tilt blast from the past.

Now you all have to come out of hiding and send me your information! I need to be able to contact you directly and to get a head count.

HOTCHA!

Margie

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES.............I'M HYPED

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yahooooooooooooooooo
oya oa00000000000000000 uuuuuuuuuuuuuulalalalalalaltat tttttttsolaetdo opps so la te do re me fa so la te do
gOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD y
well you know
that is super great Ruth

Old_guy

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK
F.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to need some quality time in Detroit too. I live in a small town and I've been following some other threads on this site, drooling over the conversations and pictures of real corned beef & pastrami sandwiches. Can't get those around here. Gotta have some. Must also return to the Motor City. Looking forward to A2 too.

By the way 1KD, saw your post on another thread just before the election. You were on a roll. Your post about Fox tells me we have a lot in common.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Ruth, you don't fool around do you! Wow, a date. How cool is that. I love a carrot, something to look forward to is always fun. Ah, the anticipation will be wonderful.

Old_guy

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you guys hate videos with negative shots of Detroit, and I don't blame you. But when I ran across this video on a different thread on this site a while back, (and I apologize that I don't remember which one or who posted it,) but I think its got enough positive images in it to make it good. I just like the song and the lyrics, do you remember when, it gives me that reunion feel. I also remember there was some skepticism as to whether or not it was a Detroit bar or not, but.... It puts me in the mood.
http://www.theduplex.tv/srbdet roit67/srbdetroit67_hi.html

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay gang, Ruth has the helm and she's guiding us through a squall. A very capable Skipper she is. I'm the Second Mate. Here are some websites to look at: www.smartdining.com. It has some A2 area restaurant's menus. If you ask me, I'm not big on foo-foo food, so I'd stick with places like The Jerusalem Gardens, middle-eastern, cheap and gooooood. Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burgers. Great burgers and inexpensive, but only if the employees are in a good mood. You can't beat Zingerman's. The best deli in America. No kidding. It's not cheap, but the portions are big enough for two. And you can sample anything in the whole place. Even the mega-bucks cheeses. www.zingermansdeli.com. Weber's Hotel has a very fine restaurant. They're known for their prime rib. We could do a walk through the Arb. Michigan baseball and soft ball may still be viewable if there's playoffs at home. www.umich.edu. Unfortunately, the Michigan Marching Band will be gone for the summer. The Huron River is available for canoeing from Goedes Lake Park, the former site of Free Concerts, and Argo Park, both right in town. The A2 Summer Festival starts June 13 and runs through July 4th weekend. Lot's of free shows as well as ticketed acts at Power Center. www.annarborsummerfestival.org. The Ark, which was formerly located in the space we'll be visiting, The Firefly Club, and is now a couple blocks away. www.a2ark.org. That should get everyone started. It's easy to just go sit at the Diag too. June is really nice. The students are gone and A2 is much more like it was years ago in our days. Ypsi is worth checking out also. There are some incredible houses in Ypsi, the Fire Engine Museum, the Hudson Auto Museum, Depot Town, Riverside Park and Frog Island. We should spend a day in Detroit. Tiger Stadium is still half alive. The Motown Museum - Hitsville - is a great place. A boat tour on the Diamond Jack would be cool and it might go by the former site of the Gar Wood. Check out websites and make suggestions.

Old_guy

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like we're on a roll. Best deli in America sounds good to me.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe this wonderful s#*t. Ruth...you've once again come through in blazing fashion. Where do you get the energy cause you've got to be going warp speed lately with this and the Illini thing. Hey, Dgrl, maybe that's the secret to the FA. Sounds like 1klsn is in position also and that's real good to have. I'll be dusting off my old grey hat, soon, and wearing it for good luck cause we might need some to find John Collier. Ruth....some things never change; that's a good thing.

Margie

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG...that vid really got me...I love reality even when it's whippin my @X#// That got me goin real good and I still live here ! Thankx.........
1KIEL Thank you for all of the great ideas
and of course Ruthie...you Rock

Ruth

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I love doing this kind of thing and it's easy with the help I have from 1K, Margie, Detgrl. I do need photos - lots of them - from everyone. Anything you have on Garwood, the people, Stonefront (at any incarnation). Please send them to my email - once again that ruthhoff@illinois.edu.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman, as I sit and post here everyday, I look right at the EMU water tower in your photo posted in #6. It's about 2 miles from me. I look across about a mile of water and it sits another mile or so beyond, atop a hill, as I speak. It seems very close and larger than life because of the open water.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, I wasn't exaggerating about Zingerman's Deli. Visit their website. Be prepared to eat.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the person with hoover by the fireplace it Bob not Dan

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, Stillrockin, nice to see ya! That's cool you could clarify the photo. I was pretty sure it was Hoover.

Gleeman, Billy Landless was one of my best friends growing up on the eastside of Detroit, great guy. I miss him.

Old_guy, where do you find these treasures.

Margie, I found the handbill for Stonefront at www.motorcitymusicarchives.com ,great site.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Ruth my guest list is at 80 people so far june 13 09

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth...help an old man out here--what kind of info do you need from us. We want to make this as uncomplicated as possible for you and your crew so who needs what info and what can any of us do to help things along. I know June seems like a long way off but at this stage of the game (in my life) I need all the info I can get in case I have a real moment of clarity. I want to be ready for it.

Old_guy

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, A few days ago you asked me if Styx was a local band when I was down in Champaign. They were, but that sparked a memory cell about Gus.

After the Garwood, we were working for that agency in Ann Arbor. Does anybody remember the name of that agency, there were other Garwooders there? Anyway, they shipped Gus and I down to Saint Louis to produce a Dr. John/Styx concert. We were there for about a month, living in a hotel and getting kind of bored.

One night we were supposed to go to the airport and pick up the guy that owned the agency, he was flying in from Detroit. We had some Martian costumes that were used for a promotion, so naturally we thought, let's smoke one, head to the airport wearing the Martian costumes and surprise him when he got off the plane. Yes, they were green outfits, with fully enclosed space helmets, web feet and backpacks with glowing lights, sound systems, and battery packs that were wired to 5 milliwatt laser guns that were about 3 feet long and fully functional.

Somebody must have phoned us in when we entered the airport parking lot and got our parking ticket at the gate. You know, two guys dressed up like Martians, driving a Hertz rental car and smelling like pot.

By the time we parked the car, walked about a 1/4 mile across the parking lot, through the tunnel and up towards the main concourse, they were waiting for us. Full swat team with automatic weapons, city cops and airport security. They waited till we were half way down a hallway then jumped out from everywhere screaming at us to drop our weapons. We were shocked and tried to tell them they were only 5 milliwatt lasers. Then we heard about 15 clicks and hit the floor face down.

They hauled us off to a security holding room and we tried to explain what we were doing. Unfortunately, the guy we were going to pick up had decided to take a flight the next day, and we didn't get the message. After about 5 hours in this room with them calling people in Michigan and verifying our story, they released us. I remember as we were leaving the airport, we ran into Chuck Berry. I don't think he was too eager to meet a couple of guys in Martian costumes at 4 am. Can you imagine doing something like that today? It did make the papers and we got some free publicity though.

Side note; I think I found Gus's son, getting closer.

Ruth

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Stillrockin - are you serious about the 80 people?!?!?!?! That could seriously change things. Are you counting the folks on this thread? Send me an email and give me the scoop.

Stnfrnt - I need your phone #, address, (I have your email already) and how many people you'll be bringing. Of course I need a confirmation that you ARE coming (YOU must!) Also tell me if you'll have transportation and if you'll need a hotel room. That will help me coordinate this shindig. You can send that all to me on my personal email.

Margie

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/results ?search_query=CACTUS-EVIL&sear ch_type=&aq=f
Listen to Rusty Day on youtube...Let it bring back that night long ago.......................

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still enjoying this Garwood thread, wasn't part of it myself and I feel like I missed out on some good times! I looked at the Cactus - Evil vid above and some of my old brain cells jumped back in time to one of my old friend's band. Some West Side guys about 1970

Alley Bands Rocked!!