Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 537
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, the yelling gets to me, too. I'm a big fan of realclearpolitics.com.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4558
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take a look at that site. Right now, I'm just glad the election is over, and we've got a couple months before the the Inaugeration.

Jcole

Post Number: 4559
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember is anyone posted this, but I was looking for info on Patronage of St. Joseph, and came across this link. Fr. LoGrasso. He passed away in Sept.
Does anyone remember where Patronage was located? Or where Servite was?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Thanks for posting the news of Fr LoGrasso. He is one of the first priests I remember at St. Jude...always kind and frequently self effacing about his heavy italian accent and the challenges he had with english. He was always entertaining when trying to pronounce the names of the students when passing out report cards. His pronunciations would always get an intended laugh out of the class even the nuns. It is surprising he was only 76 at his passing. I didn't realize at the time he was just out of the seminary. The Patronage of St. Joseph was located on Georgia and Culver (just 2 or 3 blocks north of Harper and west of Gratiot. The mass exodus toward the suburbs and the displacing of the nearby neighborhood with I-94 prompted its closing in 1989. Servite and St. John Berchman were located on just south of Warren near Chalmers. (Servite became Colin Powell Academy. Now Colin Powell Academy moved to where Trinity H.S. (Bishop Gallagher) was located.)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude Parish just lost another past choir member.

D'AOUST JOHN R
November 10, 2008

Age 86. November 8, 2008. Beloved husband of Pauline (nee Rusciolelli). Loving father of Ronald (Mary Barrett) D'Aoust, Donald (Jennifer) D'Aoust, Yvonne (Mike) Foydel and Yvette (John Xuereb) D'Aoust. Proud grandfather of eight and great-grandfather of ten plus one on the way! Dear brother of Therese (Ben) Stein. Visitation at the St. Clair Shores Chapel of Bagnasco & Calcaterra Funeral Home, 25800 Harper Ave. (3 blocks N. of 10 Mile Rd.) Monday 2-9 p.m. with evening prayers. Funeral Tuesday in state 9:30 a.m. until Mass 10 a.m. at St. Jude Catholic Church, 15889 E. 7 Mile Rd., Detroit. To share a memory, visit www.bcfh.com

(Message edited by zitro on November 10, 2008)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 7K - You should have seen that darling little family. Father pointed her in my direction to give her story and we communicated via e-mail. Little Jude was a plump little baby boy, who laughed when Fr. Robert made faces at him - I just got raspberries. She had asked me if it was okay if they video-taped the baby Jude by the St. Jude relic - they were so thankful - and in awe of being in the presence of the relic. Their passion for St. Jude and the miraculous intercession he provided and their reverence while in St. Jude was admirable. We take so much for granted.
Ironically, the 4:00 Mass on Saturday was for John D'Aoust and we were wondering where we knew that name!

Jcole

Post Number: 4560
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, thanks. I thought Patronage was over there somewhere, and I knew Servite was connected to a church, but I couldn't remember which one.

Jcole

Post Number: 4561
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, that's too bad. I remember him so well. I think they still lived in the house on Maddelein.My sister and his daughter was really good friends and Bunny was at our house all the time. I see she's still married to Mike Foydel. He went to ND and I think SJS. Don is still married to the same girl too. Got to be close to 40 years. He used to be a Zoo Keeper both at Royal Oak and Belle Isle zoos.

Jcole

Post Number: 4562
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Bunny was Yvonne. Yvette couldn't say her name, and called her 'Ebun' hence Bunny

Zitro

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't you share a picture with me once of Pauline and your mother together at your house?

Jcole

Post Number: 4563
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and John was in that pic, I think, along with the Badowski's.
Let me see if I can find it again.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were at that Mass. BTW the pews are the same, except the seats are now padded (a nice improvement), and the kneelers were recovered. And the organ sounds great. I must have missed the announcement of the Mass intentions because I was busy staring at the majestic ceiling design and lights, and marveling at the stained glass.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It IS an awesome place to be! I'm going to stop by there at lunch to say a quick prayer before my road trip tomorrow.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking to my mom today who lives up in Clinton Township and she said that there was some snowfall but not a lot and it froze over causing some accidents and school closings. We got upper 70's/low 80's here with 60 degree nights.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason I am much in need of a snack. It's between a bag of munchos with sour cream and onion dip, and a bowl of vanilla ice cream with some maple syrup and a huge glass of milk.

Jcole

Post Number: 4582
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Munchos and dip

7andkelly

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Munchos and dip won by a landslide!

Zitro

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ND 74' just lost an alumni.

TOURANGEAU ROBERT D
November 11, 2008

Age 52, November 10, 2008. Beloved husband of Peggy Lauroff-Tourangeau for six years. Dearest father of Julie, Kelley, Sara (John) Giannone and Scott Adamo. Proud grandfather of Angela, Jade, Gianna, JohnCarlo and Alexander. Dear son of the late Charles and Elizabeth. Dear brother of Mary Jane (Carl) Goryl, Charles E. (Wendy), Richard, Jim (Cindy) and the late John. Bob was very proud to be a State Farm Insurance agent for 25 years. Visitation Tuesday 4-9 p.m. and Wednesday 1-9 p.m. at Wujek-Calcaterra & Sons, Inc., (Shelby Twp.), 54880 Van Dyke at 25 Mile Rd., in state Thursday 9:30 a.m. at SS John and Paul Church, 7777 W. 28 Mile Rd. until Mass 10 a.m. Interment Prestonville Cemetery. Share memories with the family at their "On-Line Guest Book" at WujekCalcaterra.com

Zitro

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Veteran's Day to all who have served and continue to serve our country and help keep us save and allow us the freedoms that make this the greatest country in the world. God Bless you all.

Jcole

Post Number: 4587
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that emotion.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and I third that emotion. It brings to mind the plaque by the Virgin May altar which honors the parishoners from the Vietnam War. I think all veterans regardless of the "politicalness" of the war should all be honored. I hope with all my heart that all veterans from this war we are in now will get the highest honor possible for them. Since military service is now voluntary, I honor those who unselfishly put their own lives on hold for us. Enough preaching - for all the veterans you all know, give them my thanks and love.

Zitro

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of you have seen these, but I will share them with the group. It seems appropriate for today.

http://www.facebook.com/album. php?aid=2008626&l=ddf64&id=120 0987561

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, it is a small world. A lady who goes to our church here had an uncle on the USS Indianapolis who was also a photographer and took many photos from the beginning of WWII to the end when the Indianapolis went down. She has all the photos and was a contributor to a special which aired on either the Discovery channel or AMC. She told me a short while ago that she may be donating the entire collection to the Naval Academy for their archives.

Jcole

Post Number: 4588
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I was searching for Northeastern HS, to find out where it was, and came across this listing of faculty and students the year your Uncle was a senior.
Northeastern Review
His name is in there.

Zitro

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is coincidental, was he on the ship when it got hit or just spent time on it? Also, if he was on it was he a survivor?

Zitro

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Awesome!! Thanks Sis!

Jcole

Post Number: 4589
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your more than welcome, Bro.

Jcole

Post Number: 4590
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's Lowell's picture of Northeastern from 'The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit'

Zitro

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In neither does it give an address though.

Jcole

Post Number: 4592
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've emailed Lowell to ask if he remembers where it was located. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him