Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through November 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie.... it was I that was asking if you pursued your career, we had many talks and it is great that you did what you set out to do.
Believe it or not you did inspire me to take another path and pursue my goals. Thanks.
Even as we giggled and strolled down scary streets.oh another song title.
Yes when you walked those streets around that area they sure seemed spooky.

The irony of that was in the fall of1972 I got one of those door to door encyclopedia selling jobs. Would you believe my manager sent me to some homes right there in that neighborhood. When I told him I was scared he shrugged and said, okay compromise, try it for one day and gave me the list of people that he had set up appointments with.
On that day I realized that seeing in on the inside is believing. I meet some of the nicest people and walked into some of the cleanest homes I had ever been in.
What a fool I had been to listen to such scary stories. Stories that would make your head swim, and make you so paranoid that you would never leave home again.
I do not know what the street life was like in that neighborhood at that time but I do know that inside those homes some loving caring people lived.

Det313grrl another great find, good going. however when I click on the site there is no video what am I doing wrong, You said it was about 3 min. long so I assumed you watched it?

And to all , Has anyone found Peatie or is she posting already?

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Old_guy, I love a good search.

Isle, you have to "borrow" the cd for viewing, I was hoping Ruth might look into it for the reunion. It indicted on the website the running time, heck, 3 minutes in a long time.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks det313grrl
I thought maybe you had some magic powers :-)
as I jest.
But wow you sure have a knack for finding things.
I think i'll go play with some photo's

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting Steve Long phone number and Vic in a few days,

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillrockin - "Here a good Garwood fact the last place the Grey Almond played was the Garwood two days after he and his brother jam out at Garwood he died in a motorcycle accident."

wow, that wasn't the same year Duane ALMOND died in 71' was it. that would be freaky.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillrockin
Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:55 pm:
Here a good Garwood fact the last place the Grey Almond played was the Garwood two days after he and his brother jam out at Garwood he died in a motorcycle accident.
Stillrockin.....When was that date that Greg or Grey Almond had his accident? and where?

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You right it was Duane not Grey

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Lefty2
are we on the same track or what:-)
should I change my name to righty2:-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always remembered, for some reason, the Allman bros. cycle accidents a mile apart, one year apart in the same vicinity because I had older B/S who loved the group.
I never knew Detroit was the last placed he jammed.
That is some trivia.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greg [Duane] Allman - That trivia makes a bit more sense now.
Duane Allman died Oct 29, 1971

I thought Grey Almond was one of your bros.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everybody....welcome new guys stillrockin and 4string. For those who may not know, bass guitars, for the most part, only have 4 strings. The usrnm 4sring could only mean the person using that moniker has to be none other than the incredibly talented #&%* !@# Stonefront's full time final edition bass player extrordinaire. WELCOME!! Check My Space for further details.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillrockin, promise you're getting Breeze's phone number? That'd be a real hoot for me. I can just hear his low, raspy voice. I'll bet all of you can hear it. 'Hey, what's happenin?' Then his Wile E. Coyote like snicker and ear to ear grin. Or was it Augie Doggie's Doggie Daddy's snicker? Okay, I know, I'm tripping again.

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Baby & I...1990

Det313grrl

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillrockin, Steve and Vic, way cool! Keep rockin!

Margie, good-lookin couple.

(Message edited by det313grrl on November 12, 2008)

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, OG and anyone else interested, Ann Arbor is a boom town. The curve transforming Washtenaw to Huron Street is surrounded by the new and extra large, Life Sciences Buildings on each side of the street. Outside of the main entrance to the Arb, what used to be a quiet, small town, country street(and my favorite place to park, while visiting A2),is now dominated by a new School Of Public Health, a Ronald McDonald House and the framework for the new Mott Children's and Women's Hospital. A couple of things you guys(unisex term) might be interested in seeing - the Detroit Observatory up in the middle of the Medical Campus. It's about 150 years old. The docents are cool and knowledgable. Also, I'm a past member of the Lowbrow Astronomers, a club associated with the UoM Astronomy Department. The Lowbrows conduct tours called 'Walks on Peach Mountain' at the top of a Michigan mountain (it's a large hill) at North Territorial and Dexter-Pinckney Roads, 20 minutes NW of downtown A2. The first and oldest university radio telescopes in the U.S. sit atop Peach Mountain. There are two more observatories up there. The Lowbrows manage the old observatories for the UoM (not the radio telescopes, which are still in use for research), and open them to the public occasionally. Once in a while we can go in the radio telescopes. Lot's of members, friends and astronomy buffs bring their own 'homebuilt' telescopes for 'moonwalking'. Check out umich.edu and enter lowbrows. I'll be posting more websites of restaurants and points of interest, soon.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all those planning to come to our reunion bash.
The main event is Saturday night as you know. Spouses, friends and significant others are invited to that. We have a maximum space for 150. I'll start getting tickets printed for that.
I'm setting up a "just us" time and place for Sunday afternoon too. (more on that to follow but DO keep the time open) That will be for Garwooders / Stonefront members only.

I thought I'd mention that now so you can plan the rest of the time to do the things you want...a group trip into Detroit Friday could be cool. And 1K has TONS of ideas for side trips.

More to come.............

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We certainly can't miss out on Detroit. The problems will be time (in town), transportation, and coordination. I'd love to conduct bus tours, but it's most important wherever we stay that we spend as much time together to reacquaint and tell (and refine) our stories. I usually spend a day or two every few weeks just cruising Detroit when I'm not actually hanging out there. And I'm more likely to hang in Detroit than A2 because of the nature of the cities, A2 being so upscale and unapproachable and Detroit being the gritty, ethnic, neighborhood city it is. In spite of all the bad news you hear about Detroit, there are many very positive things happening. In most cases those events aren't high profile or are ignored by the media because Brittany and Brad don't hang there. The Bohemian National is really cool as Gannon has said. Unfortunately, we're losing an institution of the Detroit art community only a few blocks from the Bohemian, the Zeitgeist Gallery, formerly the Michigan Gallery. For anyone around through the 70's, 80's and 90's, it was the art and community center in Detroit. My heart is broken at it's demise. I'll post some things we might like to see in and around the Gar Wood and Keelson Island. We might be able to pre-plan some stuff and just hop on others.

Det313grrl

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive, I spoke with Gannon and maybe he and Histeric will be brewing up some fun at the BoHo on Friday, the 12th. Who knows what kind of mischief can be conspired. I do hope some Detroit tour of sorts happens. I love the city of Detroit. Thanks for your continuing tours of A2. I have great memories of that town from back in the day.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy to report that Greg Allman is alive and well and still doing gigs with Allman Bros. It was Berry Oakley (bass player) who died in a motorcycle crash a little over a year after Duane Allman was killed on his motorcycle trying to avoid a flatbed truck loaded with lead pipe. The tradgedies occured within three blocks of each other and if that ain't spooky..........???

Margie

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Stone...
How ya doing this fine day? Just thought I would give ya a shout out
BTW...are you familiar with the "Detroit Cobra's'

Margie

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK GIES....
Now I thought I was gonna get the ball rollin by posting my recent pic but you sissys are pickin up what I'm puttin down, so let me tell ya...can we avoid the 'Who the heck is that!" at the reunion and just come out now...we are only going to have so much time in june. How bout if we get to recognizing each other now so we can get right to the partying at the Firefly ! Now Ruthie...you know what this means...Your Next !
BTW... When I realized that this was turning into a Reunion I immediately started weightwatchers !!!
See this is what you get from a boisterous only child !!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Margie

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope I didn't go too far...I love you gies xox

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats funny Margie i was going to pick up a richard simons dance your pants off CD

4string
Username: 4string

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth... Can you give me the dates,location and times for the reunion. I'm late getting into this forum.. Us 4string guy's have always had the burdon of taking up the rear, being the last to know and figuring out how to fill in the song.
It's all good!!

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure 4string
The date of the main event is June 13, 2009. It will be in Ann Arbor at the Firefly Jazz club. There are other events being planned around this too so you might want to keep the whole weekend open. I'm asking everyone to send me their real name, address, phone number, and email. That way I can keep track of how many are planning to attend. If you want to remain anonymous on this site, you don't have to worry - I won't blow your cover. You won't believe the secrets I'm keeping already! Many surprises in store for the reunion!
send your details to ruthhoff@illinois.edu

4string

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ruth!! I will be in touch!

4string

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Routh, oh by the way... That is my Birthday!!
Go Figure....

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine's on the 11th. I'm planning on a pastrami cake.

Margie

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two birthday boys...the fun is escalating !

I AM PUTTING OUT AN SOS...SOS...SOS
RUTH & I ARE LOOKING FOR GLORIA BLONDIE AND CINDY OLDS BOTH FROM SOUTHFIELD ...CINDY LAST SEEN IN CALIFORNIA. WITH THE TURNOUT WE HAVE HAD SO FAR...I FULLY EXPECT THAT SOMEHOW WE WILL HEAR FROM THEM BY JUNE. ENTER AND SIGN IN GIRLS...YOU ARE LOVED AND MISSED !

Margie

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Garwood to the Melody...but I seem to remember that all of those seats were not in there ...