Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, as far as i know, he went down with the ship and all others. he had sent the photos to his family as he took them.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to mention to her that as of about 5 years ago Congress passed legislation to award additional ribbons to surviving family members. Those are the 2 ribbons in the album. If she hasn't done this and wishes to get the paperwork going, you can give her my e-mail address and I'd be more than happy to help her.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have yet to see any poppy sellers today.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4593
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are sold for Memorial Day.
"Each year around Memorial Day, Veterans of Foreign Wars members and American Legion Auxiliary volunteers distribute millions of bright red poppies in exchange for contributions to assist disabled and hospitalized veterans. The program provides multiple benefits to the veterans and to the community. The hospitalized veterans who make the flowers are able to earn a small wage, which helps to supplement their incomes and makes them feel more self-sufficient. The physical and mental activity provides many therapeutic benefits as well. Donations are used exclusively to assist and support veterans and their families. The poppy also reminds the community of the past sacrifices and continuing needs of our veterans. The poppy has become a nationally known and recognized symbol of sacrifice and is worn to honor the men and women who served and died for their country in all wars."
The Poppy Story

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandfather(My Dad's father) was a POW in WWI. He had a number etched on his arm. My dad was in WWII in the army. He never went overseas as he had a vision issue as well as a foot one. He was in for four years and was stationed in Arizona, Indiana and Virginia. It was about 45 when he got out, built our house and he and mom joined St. Jude parish. For a while mom and dad lived with grandpa and grandma. My grandpa didn't like my mom for quite some time. Mom is German and he was Belgian.

Zitro

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, I wasn't aware of them marking POW's in WW1. Did you ever see it? Was it on his forearm like the prisoners in WWII? How long was he held captive?

12468_laing

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is something to think about. since i moved to tn in 82, i can count on one hand the number of times popies were sold outside krogers. dad was a bronze star and soldiers medal recipient, and veterans day was always special for us. other than parades, and post offices and banks closed, nothing much else is done in the south. it really hurts when you think of it. there are the american legion halls, etc., but the feeling is not the same here. God Bless all the Veterans.

12468_laing

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, thank you for the link for the poppy story. i sent out for a hero bracelet - remember them during the vietnam war? anyway, with the internet, i was able to get info on my soldier. ever break down in tears at work? my guy and i have so much in common - comes from valdosta, ga and was compulsive about his lawn as i am. nuff said.

Jcole

Post Number: 4599
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome, Laing. There is a great story about a Viet Nam soldier, MIA, from the UP that was in the Freep a couple years back. If I can turn it up, I'll post a link. It's one that made me cry, but then I have a soft spot for the guys that came back from 'Nam and got called baby killers, etc, even though they were drafted, and only did their duty.

Jcole

Post Number: 4600
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the story. It'll break your heart.
In search of Calumet's lost soldier

It's a Susan Ager story from the Detroit Free Press published Sept. 3, 2006

(Message edited by jcole on November 11, 2008)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May God bless all our veterans, living and deceased. And may He bless all our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and those at sea and in support with victory and success in all their missions, and with safety and protection and healing from all injury.

Diane12163

Post Number: 446
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Zitro. He was held in a concentration camp. I think it was for a year or two. I'll have to ask my mom.

Zitro

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diane, I'd be interested to hear his story, you don't hear too much about POW's from WWI and they're treatment

(Message edited by zitro on November 12, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen the sun in a week, is someone hiding it? I'm ready for spring training.

Jcole

Post Number: 4612
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're not hiding it here in Michigan, that's for sure.
Laing, do you have it in Tennessee?

12468_laing

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

temps here in tn are high 50's - rainy the rest of the week. leaves are falling and it has been overcast for a while. saturday had the ol' sun coming through, but not much. gas finally made it down to $1.99, so i guess you could say the sun is shining there.

Jcole

Post Number: 4614
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

supposed to hit a rolicking 48°here today. I think summer is gone

Jcole

Post Number: 4620
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, did you get the link to the story I posted?

Diane12163

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Zitro---I am going to call my mom tomorrow and talk with her about it. I am actually in the beginning stages of writing my autobiography. I'm gleaning some historical information to figure in the prologue. I really don't know that much either about WWI. II is the one that always comes to forefront.

We have the sun down here. Not yesterday but, we sneaky folks have taken it back today. So, guess you'll just have to come down and try to take it back. Good luck cause we here in these parts don't give in easy. :-)

Our fuel is @ $1.99, too.:-)

Zitro

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1.89 this morning, it will be nice if it can stay this low throughout the Christmas Season.

Jcole

Post Number: 4632
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it stays that low through next summer when we drive to Colorado

Diane12163

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it was pretty cloudy and a bit rainy here today so, one of you folks must've crept down here and stole our sun. I suppose you can borrow it for a bit, but please return it soon. The birds that flew south here are going to get confused, fly north and catch a chill.

Zitro---I'll see your $1.89 and lower you .14cents to $1.75.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Slackers,

I know CFG's out of town but the rest of you have a responsibility here. And don't give me that bull that you have work to do.

Get your priorities in order.

Your Conscience.

Jcole

Post Number: 4643
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you're Conscience and Confessor. What next? Inquisitor?

Eastburn

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very small step, eh?

I knew I could draw you out, J.

Spent last evening going through the Gar Wood thread. Surprised you weren't part of that bunch. Right age & all.

Zitro

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies EB, you're right, having work to do is no excuse for ignoring this forum.

Looking forward to getting the hot chocolate warmed for watching the Wings and Stones tonight.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you were at SJS from 65 or later the above image was seen thousands of times as you were heading out the back hall east exit by the convent.

Zitro

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember our daily school start/stop times?

Eastburn

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you're all back from lunch or wherever & able to get to the important stuff.

Z, 8:00 - 3:30 sticks in my mind.

Jcole

Post Number: 4644
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I can tell you is that when I was about 12, I used to rush home from school to watch 'Dark Shadows' which started at 4 pm, so 3:30 is probably about right. The 'Paul Revere and the Raiders' show was on when I got there, but ended soon afterward.