Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Lions Football » Archive through November 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking 9-7 with a wild card birth. If not, hopefully we can grab Michael Crabtree in next year's draft.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, back to normal.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOS....fumble...0-8..heh!!

With the 1-8 Bungles' win vs the Jaguars today, the Lions are now the only winless team in the NFL.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on November 02, 2008)

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Lions were 4-3 or something more respectable, I would not have a problem with this Loss.

The Bears ran the ball well, and adjusted their coverage on Mega-tron. In other-words, the Bears took this game from the Lions, all-be-it with a bit of help from the umpire,( referring to the horse collar call late in the game to give the bears great field position and momentum.) and deserved to win. This would be one of those games to simply chalk-it-up to the home team (The Bears).

Danny O' played well, I was impressed for the first time seeing Danny O' play. He missed a few long shots at 'CJ'...(note; The Lions have a big time future super-star at receiver!), but he will sooner or later make the connection. I like his poise under pressure. Also, if I hear on more person suggest that Drew Stanton should start I will scream! I think Danny O' proved (especially today) that he is the best of the two quarterbacks.

The Lions played with passion today, so then I can't be angry at them. In the past, as a Lions fan, I have witnessed some lack-luster play from the Lions. However, what I have witnessed the past few games, is a team that is steadily gelling with each other. Marinelli has to take some credit for galvanizing this crew and stepping up to play each game. What we have here is a lack of talent versus some of the better teams in this league. It is certainly not because the Lions don't play hard.

If the Lions management can go out and get some better than average talent, I truly believe that Marinelli is the type of coach that players will rise up and play their best for him. He is a locker room type of coach, players respect, and will go to war for him. Imagine if he had better talent. Bottom line, I believe the Lions have some great pieces in place, and with a few top round pics in the right places, the Lions will be a team to compete in less than 2 years max.

I promised I would not eat anymore 'cornbread', but after evaluating the Leo's in the past 3 games, I see something in the workings!

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 654
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calvin Johnson will leave the sinking, stinking Lyin's at his first opportunity. WRITE IT DOWN!!!!!!!!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9165
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a team that was favored to lose by 13 points I thought the Lions hung in there pretty well today and had a chance to win it all. This was a tough one to lose considering the Lions had the lead for awhile and Chicago seemingly wanted to self-destruct as well. So the results weren't what we Lions fans wanted but it was still competitive football. I don't know how good I'd be feeling if I were a die hard Chicago fan- sure they got the victory but they also lost Kyle Orton and nearly lost to a team without a victory.

(Message edited by smogboy on November 03, 2008)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya gotta be shittin me! I tuned out towards midway through the 3rd quarter and thought they might pull this one out. Wow. Personally, I felt this was the only winnable game they had on the remaining schedule. Damn.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9166
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, the reason people are calling for Stanton to start isn't necessarily to have him win games, it's to evaluate him. Right now this season is scrapped for all intents and purposes. Some of the questions that need to be addressed in the off season are to see who's really worth keeping. If Stanton starts and shows some talent, then the new management will know not to take a QB early in the draft and possibly go for a later round pick. Obviously Orlovsky is the best QB for this team now, but Stanton does need to get in some reps soon. This season's goals are not primarily fixated on winning games any more. It should be used to evaluate ALL of the players and coaching staff. No one on this team is a sacred cow. If it also comes down showcasing some of the talent on this team for trade prospects, then so be it.

Just the sheer admission that Matt Millen had no vision (how many number one wide receivers can a team have?) and decent players like Roy Williams were traded away for draft picks speaks volumes that this team is not geared towards winning now (we'll take it if we can get it though). That in of itself is a revelation- an admission that we're re-tooling as opposed to just being mediocre and middle of the pack. It's no guarantee that the next GM will be any better but it's a step forward.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie Simms will be leaving the sinking, stinking Lyin's, at his first opportunity. WRITE IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Smogboy' eloquently stated...
quote:

...the reason people are calling for Stanton to start isn't necessarily to have him win games, it's to evaluate him. Right now this season is scrapped for all intents and purposes...

Smogboy, I dig that, but why should Danny O' suffer because of Stanton. Danny O' has served his time as a 3rd string QB, ironically sitting behind career 'backups' like Kitna, Joey ballgame, JT O'Sullivan, and Jeff Garcia. Why should he now have to share his quality time with a first year red-shirter like Stanton. Danny O' has not done anything terrible to deserve being benched in place of Stanton.

If you are part of the Lions coaching staff, you would be doing a disservice to the Lions organization for benching Danny O' for a so-called 'up-and-comer' like Drew Stanton.

In the NFL, you make your breaks, and thus far, Danny O' has risen to the challenge of making sure Drew Stanton stays on the bench. Personally, as a Lions fan, we should be more excited about Danny O's Sunday performance rather than worrying about whether or not Drew Stanton is as true starter.

If Danny O' stumbles in the next few weeks or so, then yes, It is the Lions coaching staff duty to start Drew Stanton. As for the current situation, even with the newly acquired Culpepper, I don't see any reason to NOT give Danny O' the starting assignment.

blksoul_atcha!
Obama o8'

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't see any reason to NOT give Danny O' the starting assignment.

I do, a lack of talent.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9172
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, the only reason Dan Orlovsky should be starting right now is because he's the better quarterback to WIN games. Management right now has to acknowledge that this season isn't about winning NOW anymore. The remaining games also has to be about player evaluation under game conditions. Orlovsky hasn't played poorly but the Lions brass also have to look at other players on this team that have been signed for a much longer term.

Regardless of Orlovsky's performance or Culpepper coming here, Stanton very well could be the future QB of this team but there's only one way to find out if he's got the moxie for it and that's to put him into real game situations.

This team as it stands now is not meant to win- it's all about evaluations and see what the team needs to do in the off season. Who do we keep? Who gets cut? What positions do we need to draft for? Who can we get via free agency? It's no longer about the wins and losses this season for this team- because if that was the case we wouldn't have traded a player like Roy Williams away for the draft picks. Cutting back Orlovsky's time to allow management to see what Stanton can do isn't about doing the team a disservice at all. It's nothing personal against Dan Orlovsky, how long he's served as a back-up, or whether he's earned a shot at being the starting QB or not- management has to be honest and say this isn't about one individual player and look towards the long term viability of this team.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10466
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smgoboy, the reason I believe Stanton hasn't started is because he hasn't chowed the inept coaches anything! What does that tell you when a player can't even show promise to a bunch of idiots?
I read in the Freep that he has changed his throwing mechanics twice and could barely throw a spiral earlier this season! The reason he isn't playing is that he isn't any good period so what is the point? If he can't make it on the practice squad he can't make it on the field.

As for teh Lions yesterday? At least it was entertaining. But once again they got out-coached horribly in the second half. The Bears adjusted and the Lions deflated on offense. Maybe Colleto's headset got fixed? I don't know but typical Lions results.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9179
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, Stanton seemed to do pretty well in the pre-season didn't he? Or did we suddenly forget that? Of course he's changed his throwing motions a few times- he changed quite a bit of it when he was being taught by Martz and when he was at MSU, he was just running and gunning. And where did you get the information that he isn't on the practice squad? He's on the team- he's the number two QB now and was NEVER on the practice squad. Stanton's taken a handful of snaps with the first squad in practice numerous times this year already. He was injured last year with a knee injury and was nicked up a thumb injury for four games; never once was he even near the practice squad. Are you confusing him with Drew Henson??

Goat

Post Number: 10470
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I did confuse him with Henson sorry about that.
But the fact remains if he can't impress those inept coaches then why give him a shot what will it prove? If the evaluation can't go any further than weekday practices I would say he has no business getting a chance to see what he can do on the field.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9181
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But isn't practice and game day two different things?

Again, I think that's why ALL of those rookies need to get out there and show off something... anything. It's not even about impressing this current regime of coaches. They need to be doing something to prepare for their off season and next season. I'm not necessarily advocating for Stanton to start but what's the harm in letting him get some reps in a game. Toss Stanton into the fold and see how he manages the team. Can he scramble? Can he lead an offense? How does he handle a defense that really wants to come after him as opposed to team mates in practice? I'd love to see how he handles a two minute drill. If he truly does have an upside to him- let's see at least a glimpse of it now because this season's a wash any way.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stanton Draft pick still bugs me. We could have gotten so many other good players, look at the QB in Buffalo now.
He is a injured prone running QB. Hmmm, how many of those are in the NFL. He would never last a year.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9183
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, I couldn't agree more. It's another Millen draft bungle in my book, but seeing as how we have Stanton now- let's toss him out there and see if he is durable or not and more importantly, let's see how he handles the team's number one offense and real defensive heat from opponents.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 581
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading up on Culpepper today:

"“As a result of doing some research on different places to play, the Detroit Lions seemed to be the best fit for me,” Culpepper told The Associated Press in an e-mail. “I am encouraged by the commitment of ownership, the vision of management and the great potential of the talent that is on the team."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/ne ws;_ylt=AhNaWpBtFjr7FOwglfUdb6Qd sLYF?slug=ap-lions-culpepper&p rov=ap&type=lgns

He's researching eh? what a clown...

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a reason Stanton isn't playing and Danny O' isn't winning. Stanton isn't of starting caliber just yet, he still needs a couple of years. He will learn alot from Culpepper. Danny O' is a good but not great Quarterback. He doesn't have that gun in the clutch, he can move the ball but when it comes to the game being on the line he losses focus.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9185
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm figuring if Matt Ryan- a true rookie could start for the Atlanta Falcons, why not let Drew Stanton give a go at it. Technically Stanton's at least been around a (some would argue) a pro team for a year already.

And now that Orlovsky's hand is supposedly in a soft cast- why not let Stanton start as opposed to letting Daunte Culpepper start? What's Culpepper going to be able to do after studying the playbook- what, maybe three days before a game?? I'm not knocking Culpepper's experience or previous accomplishments either but I'd like to think that Stanton- as raw as he is, can still deliver a little better than Culpepper. Stanton's at least had a few snaps under center with this team, knows the players, knows the schemes, and has to be a little more familiar than Daunte Culpepper- wouldn't you think??

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Marinelli really wanted to make heads spin, he'd start Drew Henson on Sunday. Can you imagine the flaming he'd receive by the media and talk radio for that?

20043_stotter

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that Bill ford will tell Marinelli to play Dante.

Kenp

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a couple years Stanton will be gone, he's not worth the effort to develop. I suspect we draft a QB again and go with him. Stanton was a big mistake and they seem to be accepting this fact and moving on.
Culpepper is here to buy some time, but it aint for Stanton.

_sj_

Post Number: 2756
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Kenp, it looks like another Millen draft blunder.

Of course this is the year a top notch QB would have been great

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the hell can you say its a mistake??? Every snap he took in the pre-season he seemed competent and capable...give the damn guy a shot...

Can't be any worse!

Kenp

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An early 2nd round pick who is a running QB. Also gets hurt often. They will kill this guy in short order. Now look at all the guys drafted after him who are big time contributors including other QB's. I have nothing against the guy, but it was a huge mistake to take him at were they did. The coaching staff even admits it.
Capable in the 4th quarter of a pre season game tells you nothing. We were 4-0 in pre season, what did that tell you

Goat

Post Number: 10478
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because pre-season are bench warmers. That is why Detroit went 4-0! Thye played teams that had the same level of talent. Now that they have to play real football teams we all see the Lions for what they really are...a house of cards just like Marinelli.

Marinelli likes to talk tough but he is a liar. What person states that they hire someone because they are tough or because they like their thinking and they want to win because that is all that counts but then go out and hire their son-in-law?
How about yapping for over 2 years about no one having the right to a starting position but then hire a guy who can't play QB (PussyPepper) anymore and pretty much give him the starting job (yet to be seen but it will happen this year).
As I have said numerous times about Stanton. If even the joke of all coaches and his assistance don't believe he is ready (or if he ever will be) then what does that tell you? Hell, these guys think most of the players they have are great!

_sj_

Post Number: 2757
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because pre-season are bench warmers. That is why Detroit went 4-0! Thye played teams that had the same level of talent. Now that they have to play real football teams we all see the Lions for what they really are...a house of cards just like Marinelli.

Except it is BS.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9193
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding who the Lions should start- we have to ask ourselves, what's the objective of playing certain players? Is it to win this immediate game or is it to see what they can do in a real game situation? As much as I'd loathe to see an 0-16 season, if it served a purpose (talent evaluation for the off season) I can stomach it a lot easier.